Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have had a springfield xd-9 for some time now. i love everything about the gun, the only problem is that it stove-pipes, aka jams, all the time. i only use american ammo and make sure that the gun is super clean and well oiled. i put up with this for awhile and just accepted it as a fact of life. the interesting thing is, that EVERY gun shop told me the exact same thing, "ive never heard of a springfield jamming ever." so finally i had enough and contacted springfield and ended up shipping the gun back to them. so i finally get the gun back and am told that they replaced the ejector and it is good to go. so i excitedly take it to the range and put 6.5 magazines though it before the damn thing jams again. i am at a loss about what to do!!??? i feel that the springfield is nicer than my glock in every way, nicer packaging, better ergonomics, except of course that i cant put 50 rounds through it without it jamming on me. i flat out told them that i passed on the springfeild subcompact and went with the g26 solely because of the jamming issue and that i would never trust a springfield pistol again. anyone else have issues???? :crying:

·
9,373 Posts
More than likely it is you. My wife had issues with her XD-9 compact until she started paying attention to her grip. Also, it would only to it with her with cheap target ammo.

Stove piping is a pretty good indicator of limp-wristing.

Have someone else who is more experienced fire the XD-9 and see if the problem doesn't go away.

·
Registered
788 Posts
wanna sell it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am positive that it isnt just me or a case of limp wristing. i say this because it has happened with everyone who has fired the gun: me, my dad, and my two buddies. it was pretty embarrassing to be at the range and say "hey guys, want to try out my springfield?" and then it jams for both people.:faint:

and thanks for asking, but i think that ill hang on to it for the time being and take another whack at sending it back to springfield. i will tell them to fix it or send me a voucher for a g19.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I had similar problems with my XD45. It would stove pipe all the time 2-3 times per mag. I ran a bunch of 'hot' ammo through it, and it works great now. The gun broke my trust, so it had been relegated to range use only. I hope you get this figured out, the XD's are pretty nice guns.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've got a Tactical, Service and SC. No problems with any of them. Now the P226 I bought has been a PITA to get the kinks worked out.

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
How many rounds are through the pistol? Many pistols have a break in period of 500 rounds or so and I do not worry about problems until after about 700 rounds.

I am not a fan of the XD or its variants, but shoot it enough before dumping it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sell it and get a Glock. No reason not to
I have had zero issues with my XD, yet on the other hand I have had a few issues with one of my Glocks. Should I therefore sell my Glock and purchase something else? :dunno:

Don't get me wrong, I love Glocks, just as I love my XD and many other pistols. I just don't understand why "sell it and buy a Glock" is the end all solution to any other pistol problem.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I bought my XD9 service as a factory referb and probably have close to 2000 rounds through it since I bought it. I've had no issues with it with factory ammo. I made some reloads that I'm not proud of that caused stoppages...but a little trouble shooting on my ammo specs and its good to go.

How many rounds do you have through it? If alot, maybe a new recoil spring is called for:dunno: Send it back to SA, and maybe lean on them to get you into an XDm.

But yeah, mine has been good to me. I shoot it in competition and everything.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a G-19 and a M&P-9 that run all my reloads, or factory loads that I have put through them. I have two friends who have the new XDm 9mm and they run everything just fine. I have shot theirs and they are one nice pistol.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a SC 9mm and a compact .45. Never had an issue out of either of them. They have always feed anything I put in their magazine. Sorry to hear about your issue, I would give springfield another call as I have always heard they will do almost anything to make things right.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I have an XD9 subcompact, and NEVER had any issues with it, running about 100-200 rounds a week through it, never changed out anything internally, and been having it close to 3 years.... I think I may have had MAYBE 1 light strike, but it could have also been the ammo, but no FTF's or FTE's.... oh yea I mostly shoot WWB or blazer brass/federal.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
My wife shoots an XD9 service. She's never had an issue. It's her choice for steel shoots.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems. I've got both a 3" and a 4" that have been perfect. Kind of surprised at SA customer service. They are usually the best one of the best out there. A buddy of mine had an early XD9 that was nothing but problems. After a couple of times back to SA they replaced the gun. Shame most of them are good guns. I have also got my share of lemons even from very expensive manufacturers. The difference to me is how far they will go to make it right. If you've lost confidence in the gun I'd sell it. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
I'm sorry you have had problems with your XD-9. I assure you Springfield will make it right and will probably throw in a few mags for the trouble if you can call back and speak with someone else, preferably a manager or engineer. In general, they are pretty good.

However, just to have it said, the XD-9 is not complete junk. It's actually a great platform. Lemons are an occasional evil with manufactured goods and can pop up, from time to time, from every manufacturer. XDs are a strong line, though, and consistent issues such as you've described are pretty rare.

Sometimes just a slight extractor adjustment can take away all such issues. And the chances of this happening with a Glock, HK, or Sig are all pretty equal.

I hope get it resolved to your satisfaction soon.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a XD9SC no issues in 4 years and many rounds...

I have a 3.8 XDM in 9mm no issues what-so-ever

I have a XDM .40 had issues with lighter weight ammo, I sent it back to SA and they performed work ramp work on it and I have had no issues since (Great customer service and very quick turn-around).

·
Registered
18,214 Posts
Hold it like it is your member in a strong wind and you are trying to not pee on yourself.:tongueout: In other words...it sounds like you are "limp wristing". Try it again and tell us what happens. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts