Springfield XD .45

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Christopher R., Mar 26, 2010.

1. Christopher R.

Christopher R.

I'm considering getting the XD .45 for my CCW. I understand that the regular 4" would be a lot easier to conceal, but somebody told me that the 5" tactical version would offer me greater accuracy and recoil reduction.

Is that true?

Also, does anyone happen to have the overall length for the Springfield XD .45, Springfield XD .45 Tactical?

2. dosei

dosei

Both guns are equal in accuracy. However, some people find that the longer sight radius of the 5" ("sight radius" is the distance from the front sight to the rear sight) makes it easier for them to aim with better precision. As for recoil reduction...well, that is such a completely subjective thing that the only way for you to get a true answer is for you to shoot both and decide for yourself. Some feel the 4" recoils less & gets back on target quicker...others feel the 5" does...everyone is different.

As for dimensions, all you need to do is look on Springfield Armory's website.
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/
    Service (4") = 7.3"
    Tactical (5") = 8.3"

If you carry IWB, there is little difference in how easy a 4" vs. 5" barrel conceals...it's the grip/butt of the gun that you need to think about. Whether you choose the 4" or 5", I highly recommend you go with the Compact version. Having 3/4" less grip makes a much bigger difference in how easy the gun is to conceal. Some people, however, find that the 5" version when worn strong-side IWB has the muzzle pressed up against the sciatic nerve...resulting in severe back pain.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010

3. Girevik61

Girevik61

IMHO, XD's are junk. A 21SF is a better choice.

4. vram74

vram74

What is it about them that makes you think they're junk? My XD45 Tactical is just as good as my Glock in build quality and shoots pretty damn good too!

Back on OT...I would get the 4" version simply because there isn't much difference otherwise and you have better choices in holsters.

5. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Wow really, because that was exactly what he asked wasn't it? :upeyes:

And I would also go with the 4".

-Cody

6. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I have an XD45 4" and it can be concealed in my Crossbreed Supertuck just fine. Great shooting gun and every bit as reliable as any of my Glocks.

7. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

Here's my XD45 Tactical. It's a big gun. It shoots very well. I've not had a single problem with mine.

[​IMG]

8. 1911ShooterDude

1911ShooterDude

IMO, small hands for small guns, big hands for big guns.

Conceal carry is going to be a PITA always and 4" vs 5" is only a matter of a few degrees. Accuracy?, bwaaahahahahhaha,,,, 1 in a million you'll ever pull it, and IF you do, accuracy is not going to matter, but not pissing your pants will be of greater concern.

9. tx787

tx787

+ 1/2
    HS2000s/XDs aren't junk but aren't as good as Glocks that's why no major govt/LE uses them.

10. joecoastie

joecoastie

9 times out of 10 when someone is considering or has bought something other than a Glock, you chime with "XYZ brand is junk Glocks are better." Do you have any actual facts or experience to back up these claims? Or are you just so narrow minded you can't imagine anything better than or equal to Glock?

11. Jon_R

Jon_R

I have a .45 XD Tactical and I like it a lot. It feels really good in the hand. My wife liked mine enough she wanted the same thing but with a 4" barrel for carry so I bought her one. She has not shot it yet but it feels better balanced in the hand when empty then the 5" The 5" may feel better when loaded with 13 rounds of .45 though. For carry if I picked between the two I would go with the 4" and maybe the compact grip. At typical SD distances I don't think the increase sight radius is going to make much difference. The grip on the XD .45 to my wife is smaller then the grip on a G17 Gen 3. A G21 would be bigger grip then all of them so see what fits your hand best.

12. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

My answers are in bold. I suggest that you do a lot more about research.
    And I don't want to insult you but it seems to me that you don't know much about guns at all. You should really keep reading before making a purchase. This purchase could cost you not only a pretty penny but your life as well. With that said, the XD is a great weapon.
    I've shot the 4inch version in 9mm and it was dead accurate at 25 yards.
    The 4inch XD is a great weapon although I would prefer to have it in 9mm.
    But that's just me, good luck with your choice.

13. mastrbloata

mastrbloata

There's one in every thread.....:yawn:

14. Aceman

Aceman

The thing that bothers me about this question is that the answer to question is irrelevent in the decision:

Is the gun SUFFICIENTLY accurate to use? Yes or no.
    - An XD45 is a very accurate gun period.

Is the gun concealable? More is better for your intended use.
    - The standard is more concealable (the compact even more so)

Get some focus Chris; Is this an SD gun that is going to be concealed or not? Or do you want an extra hair of accuracy at 50 yards?

Nothing about this seems confusing to me. choices go
    #1 XD45 compact - assuming you are ok with the short grip, but it comes with BOTH
    #2 XD45 standard
    #3 XD tactical

15. armybass

armybass VCDL

I have an XD-45 standard and it is a great carry gun. It comes with a 13 and 10 round mag. With the 10 round mag, it is a great carry gun and conceals very well. I keep the the 13 rounder for a car backup or for HD. I had a G30 and a G31 and got this just because it was a good deal. In a years time it has replaced my G30 as my carry gun and my G21 for HD. I really like the feel of the grip and the grip safety feature. It is just as reliable and accurate as any Glock I have ever had. I just prefer the feel, the way it points and the grip safety. I also like the metal mags.... just my preference.
    [​IMG]

16. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

Consider the XD45 carry version (compact) that has the 4'' barrel, but the shorter grip. Makes is almost ideal for carry. Then put a full size, topped of XD mag in your pocket (with adapter so it fits flush) and you've got the best of all worlds.

Over the years I've become a big fan of carrying a compact grip gun, but keeping a full size, adapted for flush mag in my pocket. I do that with my M&P9c... 12 rounds on an invisible grip, but in my pocket is a 17 round flush mag. It's just a more modular way to be invisible AND to have a reasonable amount of ammo/full grip/etc.

And don't listen to anyone who says the XD is junk. None of the major strikers from the award winning brands right now--Glock, XD, M&P, etc-- are junk. Someone may prefer one over the other. The XD45 may be in my top 5 guns ever, or real close. I really really like the ergos and I shoot it well. If you decide to look elsewhere, consider the HK45c or the G30 as well for 45 carry. But I think you'll more than love your XD.

17. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

I have the XD45 4" version. It has proven to be a very excellent handgun.......but, for me, it's not a very good concealed carry gun. I do use it occasionally in a shoulder holster under heavy coat, but that's about it.

There are plenty of XD owners who ccw theirs without problem, and I believe them.......just that my experiences are it's a bit thick and bulky for that purpose. The compact version was not available when I bought mine, but I'd think it would be an improvement for the specific purpose of concealing it.

hog

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  18. Girevik61

Girevik61

I had an XDm, which is supposed to be their top of the line, but wasnt.
    I also had an XD .45 service model that was lousy.
    Actually I like my Single Actions better than my Glocks.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  19. maverick9614

maverick9614

if this is for CC, then go for the shorter barrel. Every time you move, sit down , bend over, whatever you will find the blasted thing poking you. I will carry my thicker XD .45 over my much thinner 1911 for this very reason.

20. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Some people like stuff, and others don't. That's why we have choices.