Springfield TRP 1911 **PICS**

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by MacG22, Feb 3, 2010.

1. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

Just bought my second 1911 this week... wild ride. I had previously owned a Springfield TRP and loved the platform, but after the robbery I was left with nothing. This was one gun I was really missing.

So I went to the shop today and fiddled with the gun again. I realized it had been way too long since I'd played with the TRP. The one I owned I enjoyed but other things took it's place until I didn't really use it anymore.

You don't know what you have until it's gone.

Picking the gun up today, I decided that really enjoyed getting to know the gun again. The following are my thoughts after taking the gun home, getting it cleaned and prepped, and firing a few hundred rounds through it today.

FINISH:
    This is not a "beautiful" gun like some others. It's aggressive. It looks solid and "classic", though not as classic in looks as the Colts look. The stainless, matte appearance is clean and has it's own brand of sex appeal that I preferred to the blued model.

FIT: The gun itself is very tight. Not quite like the Dan Wesson, but almost. And that's saying something. There is no wiggle, no rattle, and no play up, down, left, or right. The two piece guide rod increases that feel. Some people hate two piece guide rods. They don't like that you need a tool to break it down, and they don't believe it ads anything but weight. Who knows. But I like how easy it is to interact with and how it helps the overall feeling that the gun is tight and compact.

The gun is heavy. About 2.5lbs.

TRIGGER:
    Tested in at about 4.5lbs. Good trigger. Not quite the trigger on my Dan Wesson, but the best 1911 trigger I've felt at the price range other than that. And I like the DW trigger a lot. However, it's much harder to find a BAD 1911 trigger than a good one, IMO.

GRIP:
    The grip is big, and the magwell makes it bigger. This is not an ideal concealment gun. Grip is still smaller than my Glocks, so it's not terrible. But there are other 1911s that will conceal easier.

The checkering. This is something you must feel to believe. It's like a chainsaw buzzing into your hands. Most aggressive checkering I've felt on a gun. And it's fantastic. Shooting with it takes some getting used to, but when you do, you get addicted to it. The overall affect is noticeable control.

BARREL: Match barrel. Flawless on my copy.

SHOOTING: This gun is to shooting what Marilyn Monroe was to sex. This is why you buy a 1911, and this is why you want one if you don't have one. Fast. Crisp. Deadly accurate. In fact, at 25 yards (not feet) it's my best gun. Maybe ever for that distance. Now, at 25 yards my groups aren't great (I won't post any pictures for the GT paper-hole-beauty-pageant), but they're better for center of mass shooting than any other gun I currently own. The combination of balance, weight, grip texture, and tight fit make it really good for double taps.

PRICE: I got mine for $1,300 (fifty dollars off for some idiot mark that came on it from the FACTORY. Fail.).

CONCLUSIONS: First, the cons. And there are a few. I've only had one gun that I wasn't able to find any (meaningful) cons about... and that's my other 1911 purchase, the Dan Wesson CCO (I was pretty surprised as I'm pretty picky). So cons. The BILLBOARD on this thing is like pulling into an Iowa truck stop. You kind of get the feeling the Springfield designers were sad when they realized they had run out of space to write on.

Another con. The grips that came from the factory were hemorrhoidally uncomfortable. It was like they saw the grip stippling and decided to try and outdo it. So I slapped on some rubber grips that don't quite fit the magwell for the time being.

To conclude, I'll sum up the pros again. Gun shoots great. Really great. It is tight and there's no play in anything. It feels like a much more expensive gun than it is. For the price range $1300-1500, I'm not sure you can do any better. Maybe you can match it... I haven't shot every gun in that range. But I don't think you can outdo it. Excellent value, IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  2. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Very nice, congratulations. :thumbsup:

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

Every time I take a TRP apart or shoot one I'm convinced they are the best gun available in the sub-$1400 range. I know people really like the Valor and it is great. I personally think the TRP is a better bargain for quality and options.

4. up1911fan

up1911fan

Very nice! The TRP's are a great 1911.

5. minkis18

minkis18

looks great. Slide looks to be fit quite snugly to the frame too!

I think you need to let me test it for you.......you know, to make sure it's not just shooter bias.

6. BEER

BEER bad example

if i ever get tired of my gold cup and decide i need another 1911 the trp is on the short list.

i've always liked springfield 1911's more than other brands for some reason, they just feel more durable, or more.......something.

7. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Congrats Mac. Looks great! :cool:

8. bac1023

bac1023

Very nice Mac!

You can't go wrong with a TRP. :)

9. majorminor45

majorminor45

I have two of them and could not agree more! It's a best buy for 1911's in my opinion!

10. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Congrats! Great looking gun.

11. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

Congrats, Mac. I have a TRP in the armory kote finish. Looking at the stainless, maybe I need a second TRP.
    My TRP makes me shoot better than I normally shoot, if that makes sense.

12. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Great choice Mac, shoot it in the best of health.

13. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

14. ranger88

ranger88 CLM

TRP is on my short list of guns I hope to have one day. In the meantime, I'll just have to shoot the heck out of my Wilson CQB and my good old trusty Colt Combat Elite (slightly modified, ie. all the plastic parts are gone now).

Good job on getting a great pistol!

15. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

The Springfield TRP is one of my favorite handguns. IMO...one of the best 1911 values.

16. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Congrats, Mac.

Some don't like the full length guide rod, but the forward weight helps keep the muzzle under control when you are shooting quickly. Hell of a gun.

[​IMG]

17. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

Great idea. You'll just need to cover postage. Let me see...uh...yup... postage comes to .... $1350. :whistling::cool:

18. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Does that have a ILS like the Springfield mil-specs do?

I know a guy who says he can get me one of those for as little as $1,000. :)

19. G-30Jet

G-30Jet

I like it and I agree a good choice. Please note that the hammer and thus the release surfaces of the hammer are perhaps chrome plated as well. In the long run the trigger pull can change as the chrome wears in. Other than that, a great value and a great look! Congrats!!

20. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

Indeed it does. And indeed I can... for at least another few days. :supergrin: