Glock Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Choosing a first 1911 as a retirement gift for myself more or less has been a process of elimination : Cost of ammo , recoil and reliability are key considerations of a seasoned shooter about to go on a fixed budget who doesn't reload . Then there is diminishing eyesight - especially the ability to keep a longer sight radius in proper focus when eyes start to lose their elasticity.

With the above said (echoed by Bill Wilson as well - due to arthritis) - one starts to give serious consideration to a 1911 light weight Commander style length 4.25" barrel chambered in 9mm .

The one that checks the most boxes for me and still comes in less than $1,000 ? The Springfield Armory Ronin Operator 9mm . Runner up for $100 more would be the Colt Light Weight Commander 9mm - but I believe the pistol is a myth and does not actually exist ? Nobody ever has one for show or sale , so back to the Springfield Ronin Operator Commander in 9mm : For those that own the Ronin - what are your experiences to date in terms of fit , accuracy , reliability with different brand loads and magazine compatibility ? Also , any negatives with the Ronin Operator that you have experienced ? ...Thanks in advance for your feedback !

·
Registered
460 Posts
I will admit to being a Colt fanboy and my first 1911 was a Colt Combat Commander in 9mm.
I have seen a LW Commander in 9 mm at a local shop and they added about 300 to the MSRP. Shock to me it sold pretty quickly.

But… if I was buying a 1911 in 9mm it would have to have a ramped barrel. The Springfield meets that requirement and seems to be a great option.

So.. at that price for a LW Commander in 9mm the Ronin would be a great choice.

·
NRA Life Member
13,695 Posts
I have a 4.25 Ronin Lightweight but in .45. Love it. But if recoil is your concern as you get older buy the all steel version. The extra weight will help with recoil with the obvious tradeoff of increased weight on your belt.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
A buddy and me were at the range last Saturday setting up a USPSA stage and I had taken some pistols along to shoot including my Ronin Commander in 9MM. It was 100% reliable for both of us and my buddy, also a member here:) shot a Smiley Face at about 15 yards or so. I did have to sensitize the grip safety, replace the thin grips with standard thickness VZ grips and replace the mainspring housing with a serrated version, but otherwise it's stock and a keeper now. Here's my buddy and member here:
Photograph White Plant Tree Eyewear

·
Registered
418 Posts
My 9mm full size Ronin Operator has been reliable from go, also been my backyard gunsmithing test bed. Replaced the thin grips (grip screw bushings as well), did my first trigger job, installed a magwell, and ambi safety. To top it off, it came to me better finished than my Colt GCT at less than half the price. Only drawback I saw was the trigger pull stock was HEAVY at 6 lbs.
Air gun Trigger Font Material property Gun barrel

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A buddy and me were at the range last Saturday setting up a USPSA stage and I had taken some pistols along to shoot including my Ronin Commander in 9MM. It was 100% reliable for both of us and my buddy, also a member here:) shot a Smiley Face at about 15 yards or so. I did have to sensitize the grip safety, replace the thin grips with standard thickness VZ grips and replace the mainspring housing with a serrated version, but otherwise it's stock and a keeper now. Here's my buddy and member here: View attachment 1114338
*No worries , the Ronin Commander report included was worth it ... How would you rate the trigger as well as the 9mm recoil with the aluminum alloy frame ?

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
*No worries , the Ronin Commander report included was worth it ... How would you rate the trigger as well as the 9mm recoil with the aluminum alloy frame ?
It's a little heavy, but I didn't measure it. I thought about adjusting the leaf spring behind the trigger, but decided on a carry 1911 a little heavy trigger, 5 to 6 pounds, would be OK. It was crisp enough for me and my friend didn't complain when he shot a Smiley Face on the head of an USPSA target.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts