GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a chance to trade into a RO elite operator in 10mm. I was almost ready to pull the trigger and then I saw a YouTube vid with reliability issues. I started reading about more issues online the more I looked into it. Anyone have experience with this particular gun? Is this a 1911 10mm thing in general? I like the idea of 10mm for the novelty and incase I needed to kill a critter.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I have one. I have not yet found any hollow point ammo that will work. I have tried Underwood and Double Tap.

Not 1000 rounds through it yet, maybe 700.

It won't feed hard cast lead rounds from UW or DT either.

It is 100% reliable with normal(low-power-?) factory ball ammo. I have been using UMC and Blazer aluminum case. I don't have a chronograph, but the Blazer seems a bit more powerful than the UMC.

It is a tight gun, extractor tuned (bent) to the point it is difficult to remove and put back in for cleaning.

Ball is OK with me. I'm keeping the gun. I suspect something like the V-Crown ammo might work.

My STI Nitro 10 1911 is 100% reliable with all types and brands of ammo I've used. Same with my Glock 20's, 29 and 40.

I just happen to like 1911's

I'm retired and don't have to rush anything.

Good luck.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I personally feel there are way better platforms for 10mm than a 1911, but to each their own.
well besides the Glock 20 which is a fat pig imo lol , whats good in 10mm? The Sig 220 maybe? I agree, to me the 1911 was developed around 45 acp and its what it does best. Thats another reason Im leery about one in 10mm.

·
NRA Benefactor Life Member
3,356 Posts
There are ways of tuning a 1911 that cannot be done on a Glock for different power level loads; like small radius firing pin stop, heavier mainspring, etc. I have a RO Elite 10mm. I also have G20's. I shoot the hot stuff in the Glocks. The 1911 is for accuracy level loads.

·
Registered
308 Posts
So I have a chance to trade into a RO elite operator in 10mm. I was almost ready to pull the trigger and then I saw a YouTube vid with reliability issues. I started reading about more issues online the more I looked into it. Anyone have experience with this particular gun? Is this a 1911 10mm thing in general? I like the idea of 10mm for the novelty and incase I needed to kill a critter.
Howdy,
1911’s can be fine 10mm platforms, just keep in mind they were designed with 45 acp ball in mind. If the feedramp/throat/chamber is correct they can be as reliable as any semi-auto out there. I had a Delta Elite that fed empty cases it was so good, but I had to work on it to get it to that point. I’m not sure what Springfield is doing with their 1911s nowadays, but if it won’t feed 10mm hp, it’s the gun, not the round.

That it might be the pistol is not uncommon. Of all the 1911’s I’ve owned, none of the sub 1$k versions are as reliable out of the box as a Glock. In my personal experience they can all be made to be so, but it’ll require some work. My Wilson Combat CQB was the ultimate in reliability, but it was (22 years ago) a $1,500 handgun and the reliability work had already been done to it. (BTW, what are CQBs now, like $3Grand or something?). Anyhow, 1911’s can do real well in 10mm. I personally think Glock is a better pistol for that caliber, but to each their own.

A final piece of unsolicited advice: If you do go 1911, resist the urge to put in some massive, extra-power recoil spring as some choose to. That alone can kill reliability, increase felt recoil, and beat the snot out of the pistol when it slams is into battery harder than nature intended.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts