Springfield milspec 1911 opinions?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by CZ Glock, May 20, 2020.

1. CZ Glock

CZ Glock

I'm new to 1911s.

1. Do you carry HP with it? Which hp brand works?

2. Reliable enough for home defense? ( I plan on using Wilson Combat mags.)

3. Do you feel comfortable carrying it loaded with one in chamber (considering it's doesn't have a firing pin safety).

Penn'sWoods likes this.
  2. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

1. I test all ammo thoroughly prior to carrying it for self defense. Each pistol has its' likes and dislikes. No one can tell you which brand will work in your pistol; it's something you have to test for yourself.

2. It has been reliable enough for me for over thirty years, but again I test weapons and ammo thoroughly prior to carrying.

3. In the aforementioned 30+ years I have always carried cocked and locked with one in the chamber with no unintentional discharges. Safety is in the brain and your proper handling of weapons, not a mechanical device.

3. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

I do not carry JHP in any 1911.. that's just me. I have a milspec and have been pleased with it. It runs well with Tripp, Novak and Wilson mags.

4. DannyB

DannyB

I've had numerous Colts, a Kimber, and two Springfields. I wouldn't trust the Colts or the Kimber I had at all. Even though the two Springfields I had, including the Mil-Spec, never jammed I still don't trust 1911s. But thats just me.

If you do decide to trust one I would suggest that if you want hollow points to just have one HP in the chamber and ball ammo after that, if you really want it to go bang every time. It is a big enough hole anyway.

dbuck47 and nitesit(+ an e) like this.
  5. retrieverman

retrieverman Registered User

Springfield makes a solid 1911, and I’ve had a couple milspecs. Mine were great guns. I would definitely trust a milspec for home defense and would absolutely without question carry with one in the chamber. As far as what ammo, I like Hornady Critical Defense but also carry Remington Golden Sabers and Winchester Rangers occasionally. I’ve got one subcompact 1911 that doesn’t like the Rangers but will feed anything else, so you need to try to find the “sweet spot” ammo-wise for your gun.

6Actual and ScotchWhisky like this.
  6. 0311INF

0311INF

Echoing the idea that you have to test it for reliability and POA/POI with the ammo you will carry.
    Use high quality magazines, likely not the ones that came with it.
    I've had a few Mil-Specs, maybe 3 or 4. They all worked well and I have no real complaints.

JimmyCat likes this.
  7. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Sheepdog

I would still have my parkerized Mil-Spec that I bought almost 20-years ago, but a friend waved a ridiculous amount of money in front of me. I did replace the titanium firing pin and spring, and the extractor for well.... reasons.

I carried it cocked and locked everywhere, and it was 100% reliable. That included hollow points (IIRC they were 230-gr Gold Dots).

pgg00 likes this.
  8. dbuck47

dbuck47

Mine has been 100% with hardball through about 200 rounds using SA, McCormick, Wilson, and even some ancient Pachmyer(sp) mags. As stated, test any potential carry ammo and mags. I haven’t shot any hollow points.

The 1911 has been carried in condition one (round chambered, hammer cocked, safety on)by generations; but any gun is only as safe as the user. A proper holster that holds the gun securely and covers the trigger guard is imperative, as is a belt that supports the weight. Though holsterless carry is generally ill advised, in that instance I would carry hammer down on empty chamber.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I would and all of them work. It's not 1950 anymore.

Never had a 1911 that wasn't and I have had several over the last 30 years or so. Again, not 1950 and we aren't trying to rework a surplus gun that went through WW II - you don't need a gunsmith or special ammo to make a 1911 reliable.

I wouldn't carry it any other way - if you need more than the thumb safety and the grip safety, guns are not for you. Any guns.

Unfortunately, you are getting gun advice on Glock Talk, so the people giving the advice probably don't know enough to be carrying guns either.

pgg00, mhl6493 and ScotchWhisky like this.
  10. Indy_Tim

Indy_Tim

1. I don’t carry with anything but hollow point ammo. Like others said, every gun should be tested with different HP carry ammo to see what it likes. That goes as much for Glocks as it does for a 1911. Modern bullet profiles and the newer profile barrel cuts in a 1911 make them run well with just about everything I’ve pushed through them. The last time I had issues with HP ammo in any gun was with an early CZ 97B. That one only seemed to like Powerballs which closely mimic the shape of an FMJ bullet

2. I’ve owned many 1911s and all have been reliable. Everything from an Ed Brown Exec Carry down to a Rock Island Compact have all gone bang when I expected them to when using quality mags and fresh recoil springs. In fact, my 1911s have been more reliable than my Glocks have. I had a Kimber that would occasionally toss brass back at my face but both of my Glock 30sf’s occasionally toss it somewhere else. A quality 1911 will run just fine if properly maintained. I run my 1911s on the wet side but they’ve always worked well. As I type this, I have a Dan Wesson Heritage on my hip and I know that it will do what I expect if needed.

3. Cocked and locked is the only safe way to carry a 1911 in my opinion. I’ve carried them that way for over a decade (I know, a relative newbie by most standard 1911 carriers). Before you carry a 1911, make very sure that you are able to draw and stroke the thumb safety off as a reflex. You have to practice that until you find yourself stroking the imaginary thumb safety on your Glocks when you draw. I don’t carry any other gun cocked and locked because I have not found another gun that has as natural feel as the extended 1911 safety does.

I’ve owned 2 Springfield Mil-Specs and both were fine weapons. I made the mistake of selling one of them but had the honor of gifting the other to my nephew after he graduated from Special Forces training. That one was heavily customized when he got it but it was a nice gun from the very start.

WPGlocks, pgg00, mhl6493 and 3 others like this.
  11. bubbatime

bubbatime

1) I don't carry my Springfield 1911. I have shot it with Speer Gold Dots and HST and it fired them 100%

2) Reliable enough? Eh, its a 1911. Its an experts weapon and requires an expert hand to tune and make reliable. Are they reliable enough out of the box for defensive use? Maybe. I will never use one for defense. They are target guns, for me. 18 rounds of 9MM in a Glock that always works beats 8 rounds. Ive heard of Wilson mags causing problems in them, but the stock Springfield mags working perfect, so dont blindly accept that the more expensive Wilson mags are better than the $12 Springfield OEM mags.

3) Yes they are perfectly safe carried cocked and locked. The series 70 uses a light firing pin and is safe.

Lockback likes this.
  12. Dr357sig

Dr357sig

I had good luck with hornady tap 200 grain +p, don't think they make it any more but worth it if you can find it.

13. bac1023

bac1023

Those are solid 1911’s

14. ScotchWhisky

ScotchWhisky HEMIs, guns, and booze

Mine has been 100% reliable with Tripp, Mec-gar, Wilson, McCormick, and Springfield mags. No failures with any brand of FMJ, and it shoots the 230 grain Gold Dot and HST quite well. Test yours thoroughly, and don't listen to the haters. Some folks just can't handle the awesomeness that is the 1911.
    20200429_231750.jpg

15. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

Haven't you heard? Springfield Armory is anti 2A! No self respecting American Patriot should/would ever buy any of their products!! Buy Canadian!

16. Jan R Whitaker

Jan R Whitaker

A good 1911, Wilson Combat mags. Quality carry ammo, and a good belt and holster and you are all set.

seanmac45 likes this.
  17. jmontgomery

jmontgomery

I carried my Mil-Spec all day today with 230 gr HST. It has been 100% reliable with those and every brand of hardball I've tried. I use both Springfield (Mec-Gar?) and Wilson Combat ETM magazines. Zero malfunctions with any magazine.

I completely trust mine for carry and home defense in condition one. I wouldn't consider any other way.
    IMG_20191120_120507.jpg

GlockFan7, 6Actual, mhl6493 and 2 others like this.
  18. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

The mil spec version is well made, but I don't know if I'd carry it, simply because of the sights. I don't normally carry any of my 1911s, but my Springfields and Kimbers seemed to run HPs just fine. All of my 1911s have been 100% reliable and no concerns running cocked and locked.

19. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

Need to read the whole story on that. It's been addressed.

20. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

The design spec and testing done by the government before the 1911 was accepted required more than 600 rounds without a stopage. Many of the test guns went thousands of rounds with zero problems.. they also made improvements as they went.

I trust 1911's and they can be great.. 1911's require cleaning and oil to keep running.. thats not a design flaw... thats how they work.. people require water and food and sleep.. its how it works.

What kind of battle are you expecting ?? How many rounds can you carry ?? Its about time people started thinking about what they actually need to feel well armed.

I carry every 1911 and every defense pistol with critical duty... it has never failed. In my guns.
    Hell yes I trust my life with my 1911's.. I also have skills.. if I had a failure to feed or extract I would deal with it. Glock or sig or 1911 you need to be able to deal with problems. If you shoot at someone and miss.. or they have a balistic plate you going to cry??? Call your mom ?? Run and hide?? Or get back in the fight.

Glocks can fail... glock has locking blocks that can fail.. recoil assemblies that break.. slide rails have broken off on past production runs.. sights can fail..

Pick a gun and then practice shooting with it.. shoot a lot... ever shoot 1200 rounds of 45 in a day ?? I have. More than once.

Stop looking for gun perfection and start training to shoot. Get your ability to hit accurately and quickly up to speed.. the 1911 will do its job if you can. 1911's killed a lot of guys in WW2 the men that were soldiers spent a lot more time staying alive and keeping their guns ready to go than people on this board ever have.

seanmac45 and Gary1911A1 like this.