close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

Springfield M1A

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by -, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Guest

Hope to get some help on the M1A.
    I shoot CMP; service rifle. I have an M-1 and an AR15. It may be nostlgia or just plain "want"...whatever it is my search is for an M1A to shoot in CMP.
    I'm not a great shot; a sharpshooter in CMP. I don't think my eyes will let me do much more but I would like to start shooting with the M1A in lieu of my AR15.
    I'm looking for advise; what do I want to watch for? What goodies would I really NEED to be at least competitive in CMP? If I buy used what's the price I should consider fair? If possible I"ll buy a used M1A; IF.
    It's hard for me to imagine I could consider the $1,700 + price tag on a new Springfield. As much as I enjoy shooting I"m not going to spend $2,000 for a gun; I enjoy the sport and competition but things can get out of whack.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

;I

2. dgg9

dgg9

There have been several threads on M1A's, by people with a lot of experience -- do a search, and I predict everything will be answered.

My 2 cents: you'll be hard pressed to shoot your M1A better than your AR. Perhaps just buy the stock M1A (I just bought one for $1069 -- the base model doesn't have to be exorbitant) and see how much you can get out of it. By the time you've reached the limits of the rifle, it would be time anyway for a new barrel, and then you can think about NM parts.

3. Guest

Dgg, now how bout' that...Happy Birthday! Same as mine, June 11, today; only problem is mine started in 1945! Whoa, little bit of age there but good thing it doesn't show on me!
    Dog, fill me in more on the Springfield; you mentioned new correct?
    I take it that you got nothing but the stock gun; barrel, trigger set up, etc? Ya' know I hadn't thought of it that way but you're probably correct, shoot it and see what I'd like to do.
    I'm also trying to think of getting what I would need up front w/o going nuts. Match barrel, trigger set up, NM sights, and that's about that...it may be less to go that way in the beginning.
    I don't think it will shoot better than the AR...it's more a question of "what I used...1963 thru 1968". Like I said nostalgia more than anything.
    Philadelphia; you may be sending us a governor to the Pittsburgh area, right? Actually we're more in the New Stanton/Greensburg area.
    Do you use that M1A for CMP?

;I ;x

4. dgg9

dgg9

Dgg, now how bout' that...Happy Birthday! Same as mine, June 11, today; only problem is mine started in 1945! Whoa, little bit of age there but good thing it doesn't show on me!

Wish I could say the same! 43 sounds like official start of middle age....sigh...

Dog, fill me in more on the Springfield; you mentioned new correct?
    I take it that you got nothing but the stock gun; barrel, trigger set up, etc?

Ok, disclaimer: I'm a long gun novice, compared to most other posters here. Anyone else posting here will probably know more, often a lot more.

Yes, new walnut stock M1A, no NM parts, for $1069. When I look at M1As sold at shows, it seems that M1As are sold like cars: no dealer wants to sell the base model since all the money is made selling upgrades and options.

I THINK that the NM trigger is the same part as the regular trigger, just adjusted. I.e., you adjust a regular trigger and it becomes "NM." I could be wrong. That's something I might do soon. Otherwise the game plan is to use it for CMP (I just got the rifle two weeks ago -- haven't even shot it yet, much less CMP), and when it needs new barrel and rebedding, to reassess upgrades then. Out of the box, I would think it's more accurate than the FAL clone I have, but less accurate than the AR.

I'm also trying to think of getting what I would need up front w/o going nuts. Match barrel, trigger set up, NM sights, and that's about that...it may be less to go that way in the beginning.

Well what is it you really want? To win at CMP at all costs? Then you should be investing in your AR instead. To improve your skill, have fun, and shoot a damned fine looking rifle with cachet? Then shoot your stock M1A and don't worry about it.

Philadelphia; you may be sending us a governor to the Pittsburgh area, right?

God, I hope not. Rendell is a nasty anti type -- he downplayed it for the primary, but watch out if he makes it to Harrisburg. Vote accordingly.

5. Guest

dgg, the cost you mention...is that from the dealer/Springfield? I'm entertaining all different approaches as I said; used; new basic; new NM; new and go all the way. And there was one piece of input I had about buying the components and having it built; entertaining that too.
    Let us know what results you get when you get that rifle to the range.

;a

6. Guest

OK, I can close out this thread. A guy from Montana saw a posting I had on a "WTB" forum and contacted me. M1A Springfield, loaded, 1997 model year, deal worked out real well for both concerned.
    I received lots of help from this forum and the Big Bores forum here at Glock Talk and that's a good thing. Sometimes it's pretty amazing how much you can learn from talking (email) to other people.
    Thanks all.
    ;i