close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Springfield I.L.S. ?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Jim S., Mar 28, 2010.

1. Jim S.

Jim S.

Has anyone ever changed out the ILS mainspring housing on a Springer?
    Is it as simple as getting a new MS housing and using the original internals?
    Will I need new internal parts as well as the housing?
    I know I can leave the original piece in and just not use it but I would like to make it more like the original 1911 design and not need to capture the spring when removing, and keeping a key that I will never use.
    Does anyone know what firing pin spring is used in the Springfields that use the titanium firing pin that I believe is actually from a .38 super???
    I like to use a stronger than stock firing pin spring in my 1911's and I know these are not the normal 45 springs and firing pins.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. ronin.45

ronin.45

My SA has a Smith & Alexander magwell and mainspring housing. It works great. It didn't require anything special that I remember.

3. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

I used a Smith & Alexander housing with magwell and an Ed Brown spring and plunger kit..I went with the 19 lb. spring, I believe the ILS spring is 23.lbs.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  4. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

It's a very easy job and I've done it several times. It is best to just get new guts for the MSH, I've heard of a few cases where using the stock parts have been somewhat problematic.

Easiest thing to do is get a frame rebuild kit from Ed Brown, includes all the guts you'll need plus a mainspring(a 19# spring I should note). Plus you'll have a few spare pins should you ever need them. Here's a link for that. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1332/Product/1911_AUTO_REBUILD_KIT

Kits also come in stainless if you need it.

I usually just get the MSH from Brown as well. All together somewhere around a $60 job, maybe a bit more depending upon who you get your parts from.

As far as the firing pin and spring, it is a .38 design and has an extra heavy spring in it already. From all I've heard you're pretty much best going with what's stock on it.

My understanding is that this is what Springer uses in all of it's 1911's be they .45, .38 or 9mm....this one is nice because it also includes the spring in the package....http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=734224

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  5. CMG

CMG

I've replaced the new ILS MSHs with standard types and *for a Gov't or Commander size frame* you will need the following:

Main spring housing
    Main spring (Not lighter than 18 lbs IMO)
    Main spring cap
    Main spring cap pin

You can reuse the mainspring housing retainer (cone tipped pin at the bottom of the main spring) that comes with the ILS housing or buy a new one, your choice.

Springfield's ILS mainspring cap is different from a standard MS cap. The ILS’ stem is shorter while the "cap" is much taller with a groove around its circumference which is engaged by the “lock”. The mainspring itself is also shorter to accommodate the altered MS cap.

*The ILS internals from Springfield’s Compact and Micro frames will NOT fit a standard Officers’ MSH because Springfield uses parts with the full size frame's smaller outside diameter rather than the Officers’ larger outside diameters. In this case, in addition to the list above, you must also buy a Mainspring housing retainer (cone shaped pin on bottom of mainspring) for the officers sized guns.

6. Jim S.

Jim S.

Thanks for the help. I ordered a good quality MS housing and the internals from Brownells.
    After I ordered the parts I read on another 1911 forum that you have to change the hammer bow also as the Springfield is slightly shorter than the "normal" 1911 piece.
    I compared the Springer part against a couple of original parts from some older 1911's I have built and they don't look any different to me.
    Doesn't matter though since I do have a couple of spares if I do need one.
    I'll check back with you when the parts come in and I get it done.
    Thanks again for the help.

7. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

Yeah, I've heard some say that the hammer strut/bow is shorter in the stock ILS config and was going to mention that to you. I changed it out on a couple of mine just cause I wanted to. On one though I just used the stock strut with the new parts and it worked totally fine. I've never really been able to get a 100% accurate answer about the strut as to if there is or isn't a difference in size, so I just get a new one to be sure...they're not that expensive anyway. Good luck with your swap out and feel free to PM me if you get stuck on any of it, I've done it enough times now I can walk you through it.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  8. The_Drizzle

The_Drizzle I make it rain!

I have replaced the ILS in two SA 1911, and officer size and a full size. I have never really been able to get a straight answer on the strut size either, but I did not replace it in either pistol. I compared the stock struts with new struts once and couldn't see a difference.

9. CAcop

CAcop

Last time I checked there is a thread stickied for this over on 1911forums.com in the Springer section with pics.

10. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

I used the factory strut and the gun is 100% through thousands of rounds..

11. CMG

CMG

I've done at least a dozen and I've never encountered a shorter-than-stock hammer strut in any of those Springer's.

12. Jim S.

Jim S.

Ok, parts came in today. I bought Ed Brown parts from Brownells.
    Replaced the stock parts in a matter of minutes. Worked perfectly.
    No problem with the stock hammer strut.
    Cool.