Springfield Armory XD series frames

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by tercel89, Sep 5, 2018.

1. tercel89

tercel89

I have and will always be a Glock fan of the Gen 1 ,2,and 3 . I wont go into the gen 4 and 5. But anyways , I was looking at my XD9 Sub Compact and that little frame is extremely strong and well built. I can bend my G26 frame slightly but the XD SC is strong. And the locking block is extremely thick. In my opinion , if the XD would dump the grip safety and LCI it would be an ideal pistol. Here's a picture of my XD9 SC . I haven't wiped it down yet , the Ballistol is still on it rather thick but you can see how stout the frame is built. IMG_3306.jpg

2. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I sold my XD sub. I agree, it was built like a tank. It was a bit top heavy and chunky, but I did like it. However, it was sold because the size of gun didn't appeal to me (same goes for the G26). Too big to be small, and too small to be big. But the overall build of the gun was rock-solid!!! I also liked the metal magazines compared to Glock's magazines. Thinner, and felt better to me.

knuckledragger74 and tercel89 like this.

3. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

The grip safety may be unnecessary on an XD but its so unobtrusive and easy to engage that its easy to forgive its presence. The Loaded Chamber Indicator likewise may be unnecessary but the Springfield version likewise is low profile enough that its not offensive or obnoxious like a Ruger LCI. I barely take notice the LCI on my XD Mod2 or my XDS. Likewise I don't give the grip safety a second thought...its not a grip sensitive design like some of the 1911 Grip safeties can be. Otherwise the guns are built like tanks and obviously have reliability and accuracy performance that rivals the best striker fired guns in production.

Of course someone will always comment about bore axis and how the ferocious 9mm recoil cannot be tamed with something so tall... LOL

4. DienBienPhu

DienBienPhu Glock pistols designed by Gaston Glock , Austria

the LCI on the XD9 SC doesnt bother me, because the original CROATIAN HS2000 used by the military also has a LCI, so it's not something added for US export, they use the same thing

the XD's grip safety is a good feature because when the pistol's slide is racked the striker is fully cocked and ready to fire, it's not the same as the GLOCK that cocks as you pull the trigger fully.

the XD has striker indicator that sticks out the back to let the user know he has a cocked pistol , if they didnt have a grip safety, all it would take is a slight snag to pull the trigger and cause a accidental discharge, thats why it's important.

if Springfield decided to make these without the grip safety, the XD would need to be redesigned and have a GLOCK style trigger system to be safe.

the XD is an interesting pistol, it's a HYBRID with a combination of features.

the Heavy Duty Double Recoil spring assembly is the same type used on GLOCK GEN 4 & GEN 5 , I think Glock copied the XD's recoils spring assembly? since they didnt have that type of recoil spring on Glocks until later.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    tercel89 likes this.
  5. March817

March817

I've had both my XDs for about 7yrs now. Fantastic pistols!

tercel89 likes this.
  6. s&wfan

s&wfan

I like XD45s a whole lot. I prefer GLOCKs in 9mm, for whatever reason. I like the G19 about as much as I like any pistol out there.

7. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I agree. I had (and sold) the subcompact XD in 9mm, but the XD I kept was the XD .45ACP. At the time I bought it, Glock's capacity was worse. I think the XD45 is a very nice option, and one of the few times I would reach for an XD over a Glock.

As others noted, the grip safety, LCI, etc. are safety features that feel invisible, so they don't bother me at all. In fact, I like the grip safety, and it would aid in re holstering from a safety perspective.

8. Current Resident

Current Resident

I agree, the frame is very robust as the rest of the gun is too. I am impressed when I field strip it.

9. Wolfie38S

Wolfie38S

I have 4 Glocks and 2 XD's. The 9 compact and standard in .357 Sig. Very good guns. Never had a malfunction with many rounds. Even got free mags, Glock never does that.

10. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

The thing about the XD LCI is its pretty unobtrusive when there's a round in the chamber. To me its barely more noticeable than a Glock extractor protruding from the slide when the chamber is loaded.

11. knuckledragger74

knuckledragger74

I've got a mod 2 sc .40 very soft shooting and more accurate than me.

12. DrewBone

DrewBone

Grip safety? LCI? Funny, I never notice them on my XDs 3.3 in 45 either(!)...I just pick it up, holster, and go go go! It's my most carried handgun for self defense, kept populated with a flush 5 rounder +1 of 185gr Golden Sabres, and an extra 6 round magfull of the same in me front jeans pocket - and I've never felt undergunned. It's a great shooting pistol, despite it's small format.
    [​IMG]

boilergonzo likes this.
  13. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

Neither the grip safety nor the LCI are deal breakers for me. I don’t really notice either. My Mod2 is a very well made gun for it’s price point. The beefy frame does push their weight up a few ounces over their Glock counterparts but it’s a moot point since my Mod2 .45 stays at the night stand.

boilergonzo likes this.
  14. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

The XD series works just fine. I bought the wife one for Christmas last year and still kick myself for not getting a second one for me. I'm pretty invested in Glock, but the XDM is enough to make me consider another brand. The FNS could also sway me, but it would have to work pretty hard at this point to shadow the XD.
    I am amazed at the hate of any kind of external safety, no matter how unobtrusive it is. Do you even practice with your pistols?
    I've been under some pretty intense stress in my life, and never forgot about the safety on my rifle or pistol.
    Just a thought.

boilergonzo and Wolfie38S like this.