Springfield 45 XD Compact vs H&K USP 45 Compact

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Mark G., Oct 24, 2010.

1. Mark G.

Mark G.

Looking for my first 45, may carry it on occasion but not everyday, more just to have a 45 to shoot, for now. Money is a concern, but not a deal breaker. Was not a big fan of the Glock for a 45, love the model 19 though. Any experiences or thoughts on these two models would be appreciated.

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I haven't shot the Croatian compact but I've tried the full size model at the range. I also own the USPC45 for probably eight years now.

My shooting impression of the XD full size was that the grip tended to be large and long. If you have small to medium hands, then it's going to be a bit of a handful. Manageable but not pleasant. Decent, average accuracy. Works OK, decent fit & finish. In another word, a decent and average piece.

So, what does my experience with the XD full size have anything to do with the Compact? The Compact is just an XD with chopped barrel and chopped grips. The heavy upper contrasts considerably with the plastic frame and each shot fired, the recoil wants to twist the gun out of your hand. Rather similar to my experience shooting my Beretta PX4 .45ACP pistol.

The USPC's fit and finish are a lot better. Everything moves like they're on ball bearing. Accuracy is unnaturally accurate despite the crunchy trigger. Also fits smaller hands better too. It fits small hands better because the grip frame is actually thinner all around than the USPF...albeit at the expense of capacity. USPF is double stacked while USPC is quasi-double stacked. Not quite double stacked, but not quite single stack either. It doesn't have the twisting and flipping feeling of the XD Full and the Beretta PX4, at least not to me. Just a straight push back with a bit of vertical muzzle flip.

BTW, the USPC is "compact" as in smaller than the USPF. It ain't "compact" in the real world.

If you're not a fan of Glock .45 then I doubt that you'd like the XD. I am not a fan of the Glock 21 either. Its recoiling characteristics are very similar to the XD and the PX4.

[​IMG]

3. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Cannot go wrong with either but I would recommend the HK USP as the better of the two.

4. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Check out the M&Ps. Glock price range. Never shot a USP 45 but I did rent an HK 45c. The M&P 45c is softer shooting.