Springfield 1911 models

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by CZ Glock, Sep 20, 2020.

1. CZ Glock

CZ Glock

Love my Springfield milspec.
    I like my new Springfield Ronin.

Lately, gravitating back to the milspec for it's simple no nonsense feel and look. Does that make sense?

Not counting custom guns, at what Springfield model upgrade would I actually see an increased reliability (from an engineering stand point)?

In other words.. I don't need the bells and whistles.

If I recall correctly, I think someone posted earlier that it might be the TRP. And that the other models in between won't really add any difference in the reliability to the already reliable milspec.

Is this correct?

2. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

I don't have experience with every Springfield 1911, but they are all reliable. What you pay for is different features and attention to detail.

dbuck47 and Willard like this.

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I have had a Springfield GI (used to sell for around $400) and 3 Range Officers. None have ever malfunctioned, so I don't know how that could be increased.Have you had a reliability problem, or are you just reading online comments about them? 'cause what you read online is usually just BS some kid made up or some guy overheard at the gun shop.

pag23 and Willard like this.
  4. CZ Glock

CZ Glock

Both of my Springfields (milspec and Ronin) have been 100 percent reliable.

But due to budget, I have only fired about 1000 rounds between the two.

I asked the question because I am getting the 1911 bug. I'm actually thinking of upgrading...but only if there's something mechanically superior on the next model that increases reliability (even if only on a theoretical level).

5. MajorD

MajorD

In Springfield the guns are pretty solid even the basic models ( sure every company makes a lemon now and then)
    You might expect the higher trp level guns to at least theoretically be more reliable because they get more hand fit attention, but that I still not always a sure thing.
    With 1911’s things like proper barrel and link fitting and extractor tuning is what gives guns a reliability edge.
    But to put things in perspective I have a USGI 1911A1 I purchased through the CMP
    I have about 1000 rounds through it with but a single fail to extract with an aluminum case round.
    So very reliable by any standard. And this is a typical rebuilt mixmaster ( Remington Rand frame with colt barrel and slide) it has even run with ammo that most experienced 1911 people will say shouldn’t be expecte to run in a GI spec gun ( light lead SWC reloads, hollow points, lead round nose )

CZ Glock likes this.
  6. 0311INF

0311INF

I'd say that there's a threshold for reliability that can be reached with about any in-spec 1911. As long as the parts are well made and everything fits together the way it ought to, the reliability can be tweaked with extractor tuning and some buffing.
    The thing about many expensive 1911s is that they are too tight. It may be slightly beneficial for accuracy, but that also means increased likelihood of malfunctions.

Mr Meeseeks and CZ Glock like this.
  7. BMiracletx

BMiracletx

The only real added benefit to the TRPs are the front strap checkering (which is too coarse and sharp in my opinion and mine got covered with a Talon rubberized strip). When I compare my TRP and my LDD Operator, the TRP has a looser fit and worse trigger. So I am not sure how much actual "fitting" goes into the TRPs. MY LDD Operator has tighter slide to rail fit, tighter bushing fit, crisper and lighter trigger, same magwell, same night sights, same barrel. To me, it seems like you have to get to the Springfield Custom Shop level to gain any real benefit... until then they are all about the same and as you add options the price increases and the production line tops out with the TRPs.

CZ Glock likes this.
  8. CZ Glock

CZ Glock

Thanks for the replies. That ought to save me money.

9. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

I like my Mil Spec.....except for the sights, but I got it as more of a range shooter..

The only thing I would upgrade at this point would be the sights and slide release....but in no hurry

10. Pistol Pap

Pistol Pap

I have loaded operator, it’s an exceptional weapon

11. bac1023

bac1023

The TRP is the finest production Springfield 1911 in my opinion.

12. Mochahooligan

Mochahooligan

Love my TRP Champion great shooter and just feels perfect!