Glock Talk banner

Springco Recoil system

2097 Views 9 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  iyiyi
Hey guys.
Just got a gen 2 glock 22 in a trade.
It has a bunch of "upgrades" including extended mag release, slide stop, 3.5lb disconnect and a springco recoil system.

I have never heard of the Springco recoil system.
Is it truly an upgrade? It seems to be set up like a 1911 guide rod and spring. Is this normal?

I'm pretty sure I want to just get an original spring and switch it out (along with an original mag release).

But is it OK to shoot like this? It just seems odd to me.

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3,252 Posts
I'd shoot as is and see if the pistol functions. See what mods you want to keep.

I've only seen the Sprinco set up in 1911s used in competition, but I know they make models for several different pistols. The only way you'll know if you see reduced recoil with this system is to get a stock spring to compare. As far as reliability, I doubt you'll have a problem. The Sprinco is a pretty pricey system compared to your regular Glock RSA.

I don't care for extended mag releases for carry, or the 4.5 lb (3.5) connector for that matter. If you want to shoot competition, you probably have a pretty good set up.

Dave

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd shoot as is and see if the pistol functions. See what mods you want to keep.

I've only seen the Sprinco set up in 1911s used in competition, but I know they make models for several different pistols. The only way you'll know if you see reduced recoil with this system is to get a stock spring to compare. As far as reliability, I doubt you'll have a problem. The Sprinco is a pretty pricey system compared to your regular Glock RSA.

I don't care for extended mag releases for carry, or the 4.5 lb (3.5) connector for that matter. If you want to shoot competition, you probably have a pretty good set up.

Dave
Thanks!
What exactly does the 3.5 disconnect do differently?
Usually I like my guns 100% stock, but this trade deal was too good to pass up.

I'm going to start with switching out the springco with an oem glock spring and switch out the mag release too.

Unfortunately the guy got rid of all the original parts so I have to buy them all :/

· Registered
3,252 Posts
The stock OEM Glock Connector is rated at 5.5 lb. They call their lighter one a 4.5 lb, (used to be called 3.5) but other companies make some that they call 3.5 lb. The lighter one gives you a lighter trigger pull, some would say too light for carry, others carry with them. The 5.5 are cheap as is a RSA (recoil spring assembly). $5.95 and $7.95.
Links http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=7293&CAT=705
http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=7264&CAT=737

Just in case, here's a picture of other mfg connectors to compare so you know which one you have.

Dave

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stock OEM Glock Connector is rated at 5.5 lb. They call their lighter one a 4.5 lb, (used to be called 3.5) but other companies make some that they call 3.5 lb. The lighter one gives you a lighter trigger pull, some would say too light for carry, others carry with them. The 5.5 are cheap as is a RSA (recoil spring assembly). $5.95 and $7.95.
Links http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=7293&CAT=705
http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=7264&CAT=737

Just in case, here's a picture of other mfg connectors to compare so you know which one you have.

Dave

Perfect! Thanks!

Is the connector easy to swap out? I am not usually comfortable doing complicated work.

· Registered
3,252 Posts
If you're not comfortable doing this I'm sure you can find a local gun shop to help or recommend someone. Don't go outside your comfort zone with firearms.

There's lots of videos out there, here's a couple, just so you can see what your up against. First is a quick way.

Good luck!

Dave

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're not comfortable doing this I'm sure you can find a local gun shop to help or recommend someone. Don't go outside your comfort zone with firearms.

There's lots of videos out there, here's a couple, just so you can see what your up against. First is a quick way.

Good luck!

Dave
Oh, that looks really easy!

Do you know if most of these things are the same on gen 2 and gen 3 glocks?
Sorry for all the questions.

· Registered
3,252 Posts
Those parts should work on Gen 2 and Gen 3.

Glocks are pretty easy. If you want to do your own work look up videos on line and watch them until you see them in your sleep. Soon you'll get confidence and know how to do all of this stuff. Just remember to have your parts lined up, work in an area without carpet if you can so if you drop stuff you can find it and never force anything. Glocks disassemble without hammers. Just a 3/32" punch and patience.

Dave

· Registered
3,252 Posts
Just wanted to add some points on lubrication. Use any gun oil you like, the places to put the lube are important.

Since you may have a new connector make sure to put a dot of oil or grease on the inside of the top curve of the connector. In this picture where it says 5.5 connector, on the under side of that.

Here's a link to proper lubrication.
https://glockparts.com/Content.aspx?PAGE=Lubrication Points

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.