Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has no doubt been brought up before and probably beat to death but asking for patience I'd like to hear if from someone who knows and has no doubt experienced it. I've understood that magazine springs don't get tired from being compressed over time-just from compression and releasing.

It just seems more natural to me that they would get weak by constant compression as in a fully loaded magazine for six months or longer more so that only using a given magazine with say, 9 instead of 10 rounds for three months and then swapping that one out for another and using it for three months, etc. Using this method with a S&W 45 and five magazines I've had for 20 years, I've only replaced those mag springs once and that particular pistol has never failed. The new springs were about two coils longer than the old ones.

·
CEO Lone Wolf Distributors
3,081 Posts
So exactly what is the question? Yes, all springs will eventually take a set if they are fully compressed. Most LE Departments change out their mag springs annually. you can run them longer if you wish. Glock inc pretty much guarantees them to stay fresh at 5 to 7 years.
FYI: If your mag spring fails, it will fail at the bottom of the mag (last shot) not at the top (first shots)! Run them until they puke if you like.... you get at least 10 rounds before a failure

1 - 2 of 2 Posts