Glock Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight while cleaning my Glock 19, I disassembled the slide for the hell of it and noticed that my firing pin spring looked a little off. Upon closer look my spring cups (marine ones) were not keeping the spring retained completely. I took it apart and it looks like one had broken in half. There was even a sliver of it left in the channel. So I blew it out good and put the stock ones back in, which luckily I kept.

It really surprised me because they are only a year and half old. I don't know when this could have happened. I have had no problems with this gun at all and have fired it numerous times since. All I can say is that I'm glad I felt like taking it apart tonight because it is my primary carry gun.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Tonight while cleaning my Glock 19, I disassembled the slide for the hell of it and noticed that my firing pin spring looked a little off. Upon closer look my spring cups (marine ones) were not keeping the spring retained completely. I took it apart and it looks like one had broken in half. There was even a sliver of it left in the channel. So I blew it out good and put the stock ones back in, which luckily I kept.

It really surprised me because they are only a year and half old. I don't know when this could have happened. I have had no problems with this gun at all and have fired it numerous times since. All I can say is that I'm glad I felt like taking it apart tonight because it is my primary carry gun.
The marine spring cups have less material, so naturally they're more prone to wear out or break easier. Why people think they need these is beyond me?:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
20,478 Posts
Contrary to GlockTalk Popular Opinion, marine cups are not for shooting underwater.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Since it is a part not originally installed by Glock, I would suspect it was improperly installed. If the end of the spring is at the joint of the cups it could cause a cup to chip. In armorers class the instructor stressed the importance of having the end of the spring in the middle of the cup. Also Glock wants a letter on department letterhead before they will sell marine cups to an armorer according to my parts book.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Since it is a part not originally installed by Glock, I would suspect it was improperly installed. If the end of the spring is at the joint of the cups it could cause a cup to chip. In armorers class the instructor stressed the importance of having the end of the spring in the middle of the cup. Also Glock wants a letter on department letterhead before they will sell marine cups to an armorer according to my parts book.

I'm not saying that that was the case but who knows. Edited to add: I am not a Glock armorer but am confident that they were not improperly installed, BUT could they find themselves that way from use, eventually??? I did make sure to install them the "correct" way last night though. Also to point out it did not break into two vertical halves but horizontally. Like this:

I tried to take a pic but my camera wont focus on something that small, but maybe I'll try again.

·
Registered
831 Posts
There is really no need for the marine cups unless your pistol gets submerged on a routine basis. They have less material and will always wear out quicker that standard cups.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
When I went through the Glock Armor school Glock stated the Marine spring cups could only be bought on Agency letter head and not aval to the general public.

Adam

·
Registered
38,394 Posts
If Glock thought the Marine cups were a better idea for all around usage they'd probably replace the standard cups with them, and make them easier for Glock armorers to order ... but they don't. Think about it ...

One other way the cups can experience damage is when the side of one of the may lift and slip over the edge of the other one, which can stress the lightweight plastic part in a manner not intended.

I look at the Marine cups similarly to the "-" connector, meaning I can't see the need to ever consider installing either part in my Glocks.

Of course, I only use my Glocks as retirement CCW weapons. The fact that I live near the Coast and around other bodies of water doesn't make me feel as though I 'need' the Marine cups, either. I'll remain using the standard, stronger spring cups ... and inspect them periodically as I do the rest of the guns. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.