close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

spring change intervals for a ccw gun?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by whitey4311, Mar 7, 2010.

1. whitey4311

whitey4311

Gun is stuck except for wolff guide rod and all wolff springs. This is on a 21sf and is my ccw gun which i also shoot uspsa with for practice 3 times a month.

I was going to change the recoil spring at 3k rounds but last match i was at 2700 and had some failures which never happened before. Went to the truck and put new recoil/striker springs in and was back in buisness.

The gun has not been passing the 12'oclock spring test for a while so now my idea is to change springs at 2k rounds.

I plan on changing all but the mag catch straight wire spring but want to know if that is crazy. I am not concerned about the cost savings since its minimal savings when trying to pinch more rounds from the springs. To change the entire guns springs cost $20 and 2k rounds will last me about 4 months so it doesnt matter much what i wpould save.

My concern are the springs like the trigger spring and slide lock spring which will disable the gun if they fail. Being this is my ccw gun what do you guys think?

Thoughts?

2. Chowser

Chowser

What types of ammo are you using? My Glock 19 from 1998 has over 10k rds and is on the original recoil spring. The only things I have changed are followers and putting in a smooth trigger from a Glock 17 in it. My old duty weapon, a Glock 22 spent 5 years on the same recoil spring and had at least 200 rds a month through it before we traded in our 22s.

3. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

If I may make a small suggestion, if you already didn't try different ammo and or magazines, try that first. If you keep having the same problem, I would try switching back to the stock parts and see if the problem goes away. If it does, you will have your answer. I hope this helps!

4. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Maybe once a year or when return to battery seems slow.
    :supergrin:

5. SCC

SCC just me

My concern are the springs like the trigger spring and slide lock spring which will disable the gun if they fail. Being this is my ccw gun what do you guys think?
    the gun will still fire all day long without them parts :whistling:

6. G33

Since 1993, I have not had a problem with those.
    But, change them out.
    They are cheap.
    :supergrin:

7. whitey4311

whitey4311

I am shooting my reloads but the malfunctions were while reloading from slide lock. I honestly think since i have 10 rnd mags there is a lot of pressure and i may have hit the top round with my finger/thumb pushing it slightly forward causing it to miss the extractor. None of these double feed failures were while firing.

I wasnt sure so i changed the springs and had a good rest of the day. Too many factors here but i do know the recoil spring was getting weak and was almost 3 coils shorter then a new one.

So then maybe i will change out all springs every other time i do the recoil/striker spring. That would be at 4k rounds.

Also i found that i had to juice up my reloads .3 grains since i had some failures to chamber a round. It was obvious i was loading too light since all brass was on my feet. I video my matches and it really helps figure these things out.

To respond to the post above the gun will not run if the trigger or slide lock spring break. You could trigger reset manually by pushing the trigger forward but if the slide lock spring breaks the slide will fall of the frame.

In short i want to change springs early and often to not push the limits for my ccw gun. The savings are pennies and the risk is high so why bother. Tell me what you guys think but 2k for the recoil/striker and 4k for all springs seems good to me right now.

8. G33

Not completely correct.
    As long as there is ammo in the chamber, the slide will not come off.
    Once the chamber is empty, the slide will.

Again, from bowling pin shoots.

9. whitey4311

whitey4311

Never thought off that. Man i love glocks, even broken they work.

10. fastbolt

fastbolt

FWIW, the 'recoil spring test' isn't a reliable indicator of recoil spring strength on the .45 ACP/10mm pistols. (This is per Glock, talking to them as an armorer, BTW.)

The reason is that the slide is too heavy to allow a properly rated factory spring to consistently overcome gravity and pull the slide upward into complete battery when the trigger is being pressed and the slide is being slowly eased forward (upward).

I've been able to get a virtually brand new G21 to 'fail' this test.

11. whitey4311

whitey4311

Thanks for that. I have questioned this test since the same spring is used on so many models but the 21 is a heavier slide.

Not sure what was up yesterday but never had these problems before. I really do suspect i did something funny with my fingers and dont normally shoot to slide lock so never identified an issue before.

Well i have new springs and will see what happens this time approaching the 3k rouind count mark.

12. Michael Savage

Michael Savage

If you would be so kind as to refresh my memory...what is the proper way to conduct the 12 o'clock recoil spring test?

Thanks in advance.

Second question...is it really true that if the trigger spring failed during operation, the gun would still be able to be fired?

13. Just1More

Just1More

You have failures because you don't have stock parts. Don't mess with perfection.

14. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Whitey,

My 1996 G19 has over 67,000+ rounds fired through it and it is still running on all it's original parts, including the factory recoil spring. Your recoil spring should be good for at least a year or two.

Suggestion: Every time you replace the tires on your vehicle, replace your recoil spring.

15. whitey4311

whitey4311

Thanks guys.

Malfunctions were not related to any change in parts that I can find, gun was not under fire when this happened. The previous failures of the slide not moving enough to chamber a round were from my reloads being on the light side. With a perfect grip there was no issue but if I fumbled at all I had a few failures.They possibly had something to do with the recoil spring but I was at slide lock when they happened.

My Wolff guide rod is the only change I have done to the gun and I do like it a lot better then stock.

Here is the video of what happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f610_ORkIi0

The more I look at this the less I think it was a spring issue. I think its the stupid 10 round mag thing. I down load all my CCW mags by one for reliability because when maxed out to 10 you can see the top round pressing into the feed lips higher then a mag loaded to 9.

Since I dont shoot to slide lock often I have not discovered much of an issue on this. Perhaps i jarred the top round forward when inserting the mag?

After the spring change but I did not shoot to slide lock as usual:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW9qhe-bGoY

Another after spring change but I dropped a mag and found top round jarred forward. I did shoot to slide lock and had no issues this stage.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9XP2wT3FpE

So in short I wont change springs every 2k rounds then I guess. I will run this spring set for a while and see where I get with it and keep an eye on the other internal springs. If they all last 10k rounds then that will be likely when I will change every spring in the gun out.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010