Spring Biking Thread

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gonzoso, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

It's spring time, who all has been out on any good bike rides?

I just picked up this Trek Cobia last night and broke her in today. I'm kinda in love.
    [​IMG]

2. Restless28

Restless28

We did a 14 mile ride and hike here in NE Georgia yesterday. Our first real ride through the Chattahoochee National Forest was tough but rewarding. I think I pulled a quad, but I loved the whole damn thing!

3. glockski

glockski

I have not rode in years but I am getting my 96 Cannondale super V ready, waiting for my rear shock to get back from Risse Racing

4. mtpisgah

mtpisgah

I did a nice two hour road ride yesterday and a nice one and a half hour mtb ride tonight. This Saturday I will mtb in Pisgah for about three hours and do a four hour road ride Sunday.

5. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Amerikaner

knocked the dirt and dust off my Trek 6700...starting back slow because of knee surgery this winter..hope to be back in the saddle a lot soon.

Sold the road bike, waking up in an emergency room is not good juju. Don't like car and bike mixture.

6. Altaris

Altaris

7. Restless28

Restless28

That's a nice bike.

8. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

Thank you! I just bought it last night, still in the honeymoon stage.:supergrin:

I got it off a roadie that tried to ride mt. and didn't like it. I love when folks drop 1,200 on a hobby they don't like doing, it ends up a great deal on craigslist!

I was riding a 2001 or 2002 Marin hardtail with 26" tires, v brakes etc.

This thing with the bells and whistles is pretty fun.

But really when you get down to it just trinkets. My Marin took me the same trails as safely. Just not quite as fast or efficiently. There's also something to be said about a shiny new red bike beckoning to be ridden.:whistling:

9. Berto

Berto woo woo

Nice 29er.

So far this year has been all dirt (actually, mud);

St. Eddie's (backyard ride)
    Lk. Sawyer
    Paradise Lake
    Tolt McDonald
    Japanese Gulch

finally did just over 20m on pavement Saturday in Seattle (Matthew's to Univ to Greenlake down Freemont back up BG)

Mostly riding my Dually, rode HT for pavement, skinny bike's in storage.

10. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I must be tired. I read the thread title as "string bikini thread". Needless to say, I am appointed.

BTW, Nice bike. I would suggest adding more water bottles and someway to carry lunch. This will make a great bike for all day trips.

11. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

Tomorrow I'm gonna go an hunt down this pond I just found on Google Earth that I think I see a trail to.:supergrin:

I found two ponds and a small lake today that look promising for fish. They're also only accessible by foot or bicycle so I'm fairly certain there's almost no fishing pressure there.

A pack rod and an hour bike ride and I'll be pulling em' out by the bucket!

12. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

I carry a camelbak. I can stick granola, fruit, a meaty sandwich, a break down fishing rod, tackle, reel, tools, etc in there and go on my way.

The small bottle on the bike is just a sugary/electrolyte drink I make. I'll easily drink 70 oz plus the 24 oz bottle on a bike ride. I'll be adding another bottle holder though which will put me at almost a gallon without any extra in my bag.

Oh and don't look at it as disappointing, a string bikini thread on a gun forum isn't always something you wanna see!

13. The Dying Gaul

The Dying Gaul

43 miles on Saturday, 65 miles on Sunday. Body is holding up fine. Tour divide, here I come.

14. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

If you're riding all those spots, we must have crossed paths at some point! Ironically, I'm selling my (and my wife's) last bike sometime soon: first kid will be here next week and I just don't have the time between him and full-time school right now. First, the DJ bike and the commuter went in 2010, then the DH/FR bike last year...I figure when the kid's old enough I'll pick up a BMX cruiser if he gets into riding.

15. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

:cool: cool bike, as the weather gets better its always fun to take to the roads/off roads

:50cal:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  16. Knighj1

Knighj1

Read the title fast and thought it said bikini thread, boy I was disappointed at the first picture.

17. Dinky

Dinky Numpty

IBTL

Just waiting for the "don't ride on my roads because I drive a motor vehicle or the don't ride on my trails because I have a ATV" crowed to get here ..

18. mingaa

mingaa

Years of riding and some racing of traditional diamond frame bikes (in a pretty agressive 'attack' position) eventually took a toll on my neck discs - I lost one a few years back and to keep riding I made a big change - sold a bike that I'd refined for 5 years and it was like an extension of my body - like selling a friend. A recumbent was the obvious answer. Forget hopping curbs and they don't climb worth a d*** BUT I'm riding and the bike is fast in all conditions other than uphill. It's pretty high tech and though it appears large it weighs in at 27 lbs. Oh, and a good recumbent is, erm, not cheap but that was the cost of staying in the game. Easy Racers Javelin

[​IMG] stock photo

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  19. Singlemalt

Singlemalt In the rough

We are hitting the Tail of the Dragon in a few weeks, PUMPED!

20. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

Any of you guys recommend a good hitch carrier? I have a 1.25" hitch for my Subaru and 2 mountain bikes I need to carry. Been looking at Thule and Yak, as well as a Suri(sp?) one. Prices and locking styles seem to be all over the place.