Spotted a S&W 2206

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by oldnoob, Apr 19, 2012.

1. oldnoob

oldnoob

I spotted a 2206 at a local shop two days ago. I'm not familiar with s&w's rimfire pistols. As I can tell, it has a higher build quality of 22A and budget version of 41. Close sibling with 422 and 622 (material on the frame), and take 41 mags.

I took two days thought about it and decided to pull the trigger on this one. Just went into shop and "purchased" it. But the they just told me that it just got bought by the shop since the owner is leaving the country so the shop will have to hold it for 30 days, than they are allow to dros it for me. So, I'm looking for going back in 30 day, start the dros, and wait another 10 days for pick up.

Sigh.. things we do for love... :cool:

2. craig19

craig19

Those are supposed to be good .22s. I'll have to pick one up, at some point, to complete my 3rd Gen -06 collection.

3. Peak Fudd

Peak Fudd Amateur geezer

Nice guns. I used to own a 422. Wish I still had it. Accurate, and easier to disassemble than the Rugers.

4. tgmr05

tgmr05

Well, I bought one waayy back in the day, when they first came out. It is OK. You will find, if you shoot it a lot, that the inside top of the trigger guard will get EXTREMELY hot, and will burn you, if you shoot a lot and touch it.... The issue is not as bad with the alloy models 422/622/2213/2214. If you got the target version, with the adjustable sights, you did great, as you can adjust the sights to ammo. If not, it is still a good plinker. If you got the 4 inch version, over the 6 inch, hang on to it. Not many of those out there....

I sold mine off, and every now and then, wish I had not.... It came with 12 round magazines, and you can purchase them or the 10 round version. Both work just fine.

5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Look anything like these? I like them. Mine are reliable and accurate. Little hard to take the slide off, and there's a plastic tool to help (but an .22 empty shell can work).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To be honest, when I was shooting bullseye, a friend had a Ruger 22/45 set up nicely for target that I liked better. But I already had these and made do with them :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  6. oldnoob

oldnoob

It's the 2206, so full stainless steel with target sight and plastic grip (trying to find the wood grip..). It's the 4" barrel version. Which according to my home work, it's harder to find than the 6" (I kind of wish for a 6" barrel). Unless is unreliable, I think this would be a keeper. I like collecting odd, discontinued pistols. And I don't have much 22s.

I do need to find new set of grip screws. The right side grip panel is missing one :steamed:.

7. oldnoob

oldnoob

It's just like it. And I'm plan on getting a Aimtech Black Mount as well.

I like Ruger Mark series a lot but never pick one up. Mostly because everyone else have one. And the indoor range I go to have few different version for rental. So if I'm shooting the 22lr that day, I would just rent one from them. My favorite is Mark II standard barrel. The bull barrel always feel too heavy on the top end.

8. oldnoob

oldnoob

I like the look of 422. Wish the have one in full carbon steel version though.

I have to say, 4" 2206 list as 36oz. It does not feel like it.

9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

A word of caution about the mount. Since it uses the grip screws, it can loosen up, and you can strip them easily.

Since I have 2 guns, I used JB weld on the one with the mount so it never freaking loosens again :) Not just on the screws but on the whole mount to grip contact area :rofl:

With the red dot, the whole rig is a bit top heavy and challenging. Helps me to be a better shooter, but their are better 22's designed for a top mount from the factory.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  10. oldnoob

oldnoob

11. tgmr05

tgmr05

It was basically one guy, with the fixed sight version. The target version with adjustable sights overcomes a major complaint of his. His complaint about feed ramp is sorta correct, but not totally. This is a very complex 22, way more difficult than a ruger to break completely down. There is a method to breaking down the ruger, and missing/not understanding the step is why so many ignorantly complain about the ruger. Ignorance is lack of knowledge, not stupidity, for those thinking that was harsh.

Anyhow, the 4 inch target 2206 is better than the 6 inch, in my opinion. I found no difference in accuracy between the two I had. My favorite 22's currently, are a pair of 22/45 stainless 4.5 inch hunters, which can pop balloons at 100 yards with regularity. I have a 6 7/8 hunter, too, but there is practically no accuracy difference, if any, between it and the 4.5s.

The smith is probably at its best when coupled with a suppressor. The barrel being so low is a plus.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

12. Berto

Berto woo woo

[​IMG]

It's not as reliable as my MKII, but it shoots just as well, has a nice trigger and still works pretty well.

13. oldnoob

oldnoob

Nice Berto. I wish they have a full carbon steel version of 2206. I like blued/black over ss in pistol.