Spotlight mounting options

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by msu_grad_121, Oct 21, 2015.

1. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

So the bosses are ordering my partner and I a new car for our plain clothes assignment and asked what equipment we wanted. At the time we were possibly going to be put in a gang task force a few days a week, and therefore we asked the spotlight be deleted in an attempt to be ninjas.

Well, found out that's not happening, so my partner was asking about having the light put back on. I'm personally not a fan of them, and thought I'd ask the brain trust for options before we talk to the bosses.

Specifically, does anyone have any information on low profile or hidden spotlights for squad cars? A Sgt brought up the idea of having one mounted on the dash to shine through the windshield, which may not completely stink. Any options would be appreciated, and any pictures would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

2. Ajon412

Ajon412

Some of the newer LED interior mounted light bars have white "take down" type lights installed. Whelen makes an "Inner Edge" with a (4) take down LED option. I'm a tad old school and would prefer dual mounted spotlights, but that wouldn't work if your looking for stealth... Good luck and I"m sure you'll come up with something. BTW, that type of vehicle will you be utilizing?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015

3. x_out86

x_out86

Are you wanting a spot light you can aim, or just white facing lights like takedowns?

4. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

I'd prefer to have a spotlight we could aim, at least forward more or less

5. x_out86

x_out86

If you're trying to avoid an external mounted spotlight, aiming is pretty much out the window.

If you are just looking for white light that works like takedowns, there are plenty of options these days. We use Whelen Ion Duo lights for grille lights. They flash red/blue and white. They also go solid white when the takedown switch is activated.

There are A TON of options out there these days for blinding white led lights. Depending on what you're looking for exactly, there are numerous options that you could easily hide behind your grille. Check with Whelen, Code 3 or Fenix. If you need specific models, I can offer some up.