close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spot on my dog's leg is getting me concerned.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by drider, Apr 4, 2010.

1. drider

drider

Hello all I truly love my dog like many of you all dog lovers out there in this forum! I have a 12 year old Pit bull Terrier, she has been aging really noticeably during the past three years! I have no plans to do any miracle work of anything in that nature but there is something on her leg, I have pictures for reference but let me best try to describe it, reason is it may be something common that your dog has had or you know someone who had a dog with this type of 'black spot.' One day, I noticed a symmetrical black spot on my dogs leg, right above the bending point on her paw it really looks like someone just got a symmetrical .5in x.5in iron and put it on my dogs paw leaving a hard black spot on her leg! It didn't bother her much but until today I saw her licking the black spot and just stopped but I'm curious if any other dog owners or maybe any veterinarians on here can chime in. At first I though spider bite, tick wound, flea wound? I have no clue, please chime in if you have any knowledge about the 'black spot.'

Sincerely.

2. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

the bully breed is prone to "bumps" or cancerous growths.

id take her to the vet and have it removed before its too late since its bothering her.

3. drider

drider

More pictures, the main reason I'm posting is this because I want to diagnosis what it is so I will not need to spend $35 for a vet to say "oh it's this, buy my $50 pills it will go away."

4. drider

drider

In addition, when I touch the 'black spot,' it feels hard and it seems to have a perimeter of being hard and dense. Another it does not seem to bug her much, no limping while shes walking or anything to prevent her from being mobile, thanks for looking.

5. schild

schild

Does she lick it? Has she licked it raw? Lick wound?

6. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

My dog has a couple of growths similar to that on her butt. Since it is on the arm I would take the dog to the vet and see if they can remove it safely and make sure your "best friend" is ok.

7. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 Pastafarian

If it feels really solid, I'd take her to the vet. Otherwise, sterilize the area and a needle and pop that thing. Mine had a cyst on her back that was similar to that (but not as dark in color). Popped it and got all the puss out and its healing up nicely now.

8. Gthirty9

Gthirty9

Does she "kneel" on the front of her paw at all? I know a lot of older and usually bigger dogs get those on the backs of their legs from laying on them all day. If she does, thats probably the case. I'm no vet though.

9. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I'm not a vet, but I've had plenty of dogs. It does not seem to be a bite because that might appear red in color and look irritated. My eyes aren't the best looking at that picture though.

It does look like a cyst of some sort: sweat gland, skin, etc.

I understand about going to the vet. Good luck to you and your buddy.

10. drider

drider

Thanks for the suggestions i truly appreciate it, maybe I can email some of the pictures to my vet for a opinion. Given some of the responses, cancer and what not I say there is no way my pup of twelve years is going under the knife not that I cannot afford it but she's a old dog and has nine lives, honestly these past months have been rough. Do you really suggest to see if it is filled with puss and pop it?

1. She has not licked it raw.
    2. Also does not kneel on the ground at all, 80% indoor dog.

lastly, I take everyone's opinion even though you are not vets and what not, having dogs and growing up with dogs you learn a lot about them.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  11. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I think I know where you’re coming from. I always like to do things myself if I have some knowledge and skill. I don’t care much for doctors. We never take our dogs to the vet because we have good experience with their health and have had a good measure of luck.

It sounds like you need/want someone other than a vet and the cost of a vet. That would be great if you could find someone in your area with that skill and knowledge who could give you some low cost advice.

If not, then sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. I personally would not let my dog die for a few dollars. Maybe that’s getting too personal on a forum, but that’s just me.

That’s about the best internet forum comment I can offer. Good luck. I love dogs and hope it works out for you.

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

If you have no plans on really doing anything, why are you worried about it? I don't think I'd go popping it.. you run the risk of it getting infected and getting worse. If it is a cyst, it will likely pop on its own eventually.

I doubt anyone is gonna be able to diagnose what that is from a picture, let alone give you advice on how to fix it and avoid a vet bill. If the dog seems comfortable, doesn't seem to be in pain from whatever it is, I wouldn't worry about it. If it is cancer, or something serious, you've already said you're not going to put a lot of money into her. So whats it matter? Keep an eye on her, if she starts showing signs of discomfort or that she's really getting ill, then you'll have a decision to make.

I'm sure your vet's answer to an email will be "This is what I charge for an office visit, you need to bring her in"

13. JMS

JMS 02

You sound like a dog owner, not a dog lover. I take my dogs to the vet as I would with my children to the pediatrician. What's $35 in the scheme of things? If $35 is going to 'break' you, you're already broken.

14. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

i agree....
    take your dog to the vet...if i was your vet and you sent me some pic's and asked for My advice, i'd tell ya to bring the dog in..
    and thats what you should do..imo..
    1 time i broke my femur bone...i wasnt sure so for ten days i sent pic's to a bunch of doc's...no got back to me..i just wanted to know if the funny looking jagged looking piece of bone sticking out was my leg was bone or some thing else..:whistling:

15. Berto

Berto woo woo

APBT's don't age very well once they hit 10yrs, my girl died to cancer at 8yrs. I hope Parker does much better, they are great dogs.

My saavy internet opinion is the 'black spot' is either cancerous growth or possibly a calcium growth. It's really worth it to let the vet see it, hell I'll spot you the $35, and I mean that sincerely, not as an insult. It's tough when money is scarce and the dog gets sick.

16. staedtler

staedtler

See Spot, See Spot, Run!, this is high end oncology.

17. RustySocket

RustySocket

Typical pit bull owner. Too cheap to take a sick dog to the vet for proper care.

18. Tubb1984

Tubb1984

I wouldn't suggest messing with the spot yourself or you might really exacerbate the problem, or create one. That's no good at all, and it might be pretty painful for the dog too.

I'd suggest taking your pup to the vet for at least a consultation to see exactly what the spot is. If it is cancerous or something to the like, and surgery IS the only option, you don't have to agree to it if you feel it's not the best option. However, the vet might be able to do something minor to remove the spot, or it might not require anything at all. You won't know until you see the vet! Consultations are usually pretty inexpensive, and you can take it from there.

Just my $.02. Good luck. Always hard when animal friends get older.

19. Tubb1984

Tubb1984

Edited because I was being a snarky a**hole. /shrug

20. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

That is about right. 35.00 is nothing. If you can't afford thirty five dollars then I don't see how you are even on the net. The dog is worth taking to the vet and seeing what is wrong with the "best friend". :upeyes: