close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

Sportsman Steel and Pentagon Safe Companies

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by mado, May 30, 2003.

1. mado

mado

My advice is to steer clear of both of these companies. They are owned by the same people and have by far the worst customer service I have experienced. On February 6, 2003 I ordered a vault door from Sportsman Steel. The door I ordered is actually a Pentagon model. I was told 8 to 12 weeks and because it was a custom order I'd have to pay in full, no problem, this is what I've heard from every safe company I talked to. I paid by credit card on February 7. At four weeks I called and spoke with the salesperson I ordered from and was told things looked good for a ten or twelve week delivery. At eight weeks I called and was told Status Person 1 would call me back. Never happened. At twelve weeks I called and was put on hold for quite some time while waiting for Status Person 2, who replaced #1. Eventually I was hung up on - I know this because I could here people talking prior to the 'accidental' disconnection. Status Person 2 denies he hung up on me and said he'd have to call me back. Finally hear back from Status Person 2 and I'm told it will be two or three more weeks. Call back in two weeks (Week 14) and I'm told Status Person 3 who replaced #2 will call me back. Call back two days later and I'm told the same thing. I tell receptionist of my previous attempt and she doesn't seem surprised or concerned. Email company one day later with this list of my attempts at contacting them and give them until the end of that day to contact me or I'm contacting my credit card company. Receive no reponse. Wait two days before contacting credit card company and then tell them the story, they say no problem with disputing the transaction and I'll have to fill out a survey. I'm now at sixteen weeks. I have the survey from the credit card company in front of me now and I'm ready to mail it so I call one more time. Status Person 3 (still with company) will call me back. Salesperson is no longer with company. Receptionist again doesn't seem phased that they are four weeks late on an order and refuse to return my calls. Manager is too busy to discuss my situation.

I'm emailing the NRA to let them know this is one of their advertisers. Stay away from these guys.

2. Bruz

Bruz

Mado, I unfortunantly learned the hard way about Sportsman Steel also. Needed another safe, only place for it was in my wifes office so had to get a perdy safe. Got a pearl white one with gold pen striping, dial, and bankers handle, over $3 grand. When it came the outside paint had a few runs, knicks, and "ghosts" in the paint. The inside was a mess. Still had used razor blades and metal grindings. The carpet was not cut well and there are vdery sharp and rough edges everywhere. Carpet was coming unglued, it was filthy, very poor quality.

Wrote them a letter detailing the faults, never even replied. Oh, they were "so busy" it took them an extra 3 weeks to get it to me also. Hope the word gets around so they will have more time to do it right!

3. mado

mado

I'm considering paying them a visit. What's another few hundred for a roundtrip ticket to LAX when I get the pleasure of seeing the receptionist's face when I say my name.

4. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I was all set to get a sportsmen safe when I was out West. I had room in pickup and talked to some folks I know out there. Saw a few examples and was told of their (policies) so I had a much lighter truck on way back to MN. Got a Fort Knox for not much more and it is IMO a much better safe. Plus less then 40 mile drive.

5. mado

mado

Got my money back from the credit card company. No one from Sportsman Steel has contacted me yet.

A side note: I did email the NRA to let them know how I was treated by their advertiser. I sent the entire story to them and never got a response. I sent it to their editor email address for American Riflman.

6. Bruz

Bruz

Got my money back

Good job!

7. TIR

TIR

THANK YOU for the info I was looking to purchase one of there safes in the near future. Guess I'll look else where.

8. mado

mado

Glad I could save someone the aggravation!

9. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

Anytime i contact the NRA I always get the worst customer service. I don't bother anymore. So i don't think you will get an answer from them either, nor do they probably care about them as long as they pay their advertising bill.

The NRA actually tried to charge my card another $5 after i set up another "jr" account with them. Whether it was my fault of theirs where in the hell do they get off trying to charge me for something I didn't agree too after the fact?

10. hermosabeach

hermosabeach Coffee Drinker

I ponied up the money for a Fire Safe from Sportsman Steel.

I put 1/2 Down on the safe and it took 9 months for delivery.

The worst thing- the fire safe is not really a fire safe. it is not UL tested and would not be able to pass the tests. It is double walled and filled? (Maybe) with a fire proof material. The Door is not insulated...

I was uneducated when I purchased the safe and I learned a good lesson about getting what I pay for.

Costco has a great deal on full size "Business Safes" It is a large safe with an electronic S & G lock.....

;a___________________;I

PS - they don't care if you hate Sportsman Steel, their product or staff. They just want to keep offering a poor value at a good price- in my opinion....

11. mado

mado

You hit the nail on the head with that statement. They can feel that way, I just hope this post with our experiences deters any other GT'ers from falling prey to these guys.

12. mado

mado

Received an email this morning from the NRA Publications Advertising Director. They are faxing a letter to Sportsman Steel this morning to see how they plan on handling the situation. I told her my CC company already got my money back and she replied that she still wants to fax the letter to let them know the NRA is investigating my claim.

13. mado

mado

Just got a call from the manager of Pentagon Safe apologizing for delay and that'I understand you had some trouble with some of my people and we're really backed up'. When I said the CC Co. already handled it, he said all he was doing was apologizing and kind of made it seem like he didn't really care what else I had to say. Total conversation was 30 seconds.

14. BOPLEO

BOPLEO

I own a sportsman steel safe that was made exactly as i had ordered it, and delivered in the time the company had promised.

15. Bruz

Bruz

Wow! Well that makes one...

16. Postman

Postman

Two years ago I was moving into a second floor condo. I spoke to a number of safe manufactures about second floor delivery. Sportsman Steel Safe assured me there would be no problem bringing my 1000 pound safe up the stairs and placing it where I wanted. I ordered the safe, sat back and waited.

The eight week estimated wait time ballooned to fourteen weeks, and I spoke to the people at Sportsman Steel Safe several times. Each time I got on the phone, I mentioned that the safe was to be delivered to the second floor. I wanted to make sure there were no problems, as I could not just leave the thing sitting out on the curb.

Finally I get a call from the delivery company confirming a drop off time. As I did anytime I spoke with Sportsman Steel Safe, I double-checked on the second flood delivery. I was told that Sportsman Steel Safe had only arranged for curbside delivery. I asked the people at the shipping company to hold delivery until I could get things straightened out.

I called Sportsman Steel Safe, and suddenly no one wanted to speak with me. Anyone who I could speak with swore up and down that they never ever delivered safes to anywhere but the curb. I ended up speaking with the son of the owner who, after calling me a liar, offered to review the tape recording of my initial order.

While waiting to hear back from Sportsman Steel Safe, I called my credit card company. They informed me that without a written contract, I would not be able to file a claim. They were very nice and very apologetic, but of no help.

The owner’s son never called me back so I spent another day tracking him down. I asked him about the tape; he said he had no idea what I was talking about. When pressed, he said that he had reviewed the tape and on it, I said: “just drop it in my garage, some of my friends will help me move it in.” As soon as he said this I knew he was lying and that I stood no chance of obtaining a remedy. The thing is, I do not own a garage.

The safe was delivered and I moved it upstairs with the help of my contractor, two of his guys and a refrigerator dolly.

Sportsman Steel Safe lied to me to obtain a sale and then lied again when confronted. I would avoid them at all costs.

17. MCM8691

MCM8691

About six months ago I started gathering literature and various information from a bunch of different safe companies to compare their prices/products. After calling Sportsman Steel for info and receiving they're literature shortly thereafter, I kept receiving calls about once a week for a couple of months from one of their salesmen, trying to press me into buying one of their safes. I finally told him that I would not be purchasing a safe from them, and to no longer call me for I am sick of being harassed with the "used car salesman" tactics.

After hearing the stories above, I am glad that I didn't order one from these guys. I feel sorry for those of you who did. Not only does they're PR/CS suck, it seems that their products do also.

As of now, I am still looking for a safe, and will probably end up buying one locally, so I can actually see what I'm getting before I buy it (which I think is wise on such a high dollar purchase anyway). There is a Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops store in my area, and both have a wide selection of safes from various manufacturers with great prices. I'm planning to pick it up myself, to avoid any exorbitant shipping charges and possible damage. I'll also move it inside my house with help from friends, to assure that no damage (to safe or house) will be incurred.

18. Postman

Postman

19. Nolyn

Nolyn

Pleased I done a GT search

I was about to buy a vault door from Pentagon. They called me a few times and gave me prices, I almost ordered today, but decided to wait a few days. I found their website, and to my horror the exact product that I had just been offered for $2700 was being offered for under $2,000.

From all that I've seen the Fort Knox product looks best.

20. mado

mado

Happy to hear we saved you the frustration and disappointment of dealing with them.

Fort Knox makes a nice product.