close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sport shooting noob seeks advice

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by barefoot, Sep 21, 2011.

1. barefoot

barefoot

I'm a new shooter as of last year and I joined GSSF earlier this year (already took advantage of the purchase program!). The GSSF competition is coming to town in December (San Antonio) and I'd love to try it out - so what should I do? Buy 9mm in bulk and get to the range every week? What brand/bullet weight would be recommended? Should I consider a 3.5# trigger for my G19?

Just looking for a few pointers, thanks!

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

1. Practice controlled pairs at 5, 10, 15, 20 & 25 yards.

2. Keep your Glock stock.

3. Bring at least 4 magazines and 150 rounds.

4. Winchester USA 115-gr fmj is a safe bet

5. Have a great time.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

3. mike g35

mike g35

There are alot of great shooters here with alot of great advice but mind your p's and q's or they may not help you. I speak from experience. (Hey, does this mean I'm not the new guy anymore???) I do not give advice but I thought you may like knowing you came to the right place.

4. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

This is a great list. As a recent noob myself, I would add some things once you get to the match:

1. Be deliberate and safe and follow RO instructions when handling your firearm.

2. Nerves will amp you up. Shoot slowly! It's so easy to get out of control once that buzzer goes off. Breath and focus on the front sight and trigger control. Accuracy first, speed second.

3. Paste targets when not shooting and meet new people. Watch other shooters and learn from them. Enjoy the whole experience, including away from the firing line.

5. mike g35

mike g35

I second his saying shoot slowly. My nerves ruined me during my first match.

6. hagan34

hagan34

I get thirds!!! Keep saying "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast", just something about hearing that buzzer :brickwall:

anyway you came to the right place, as Mike said a lot of great advice here and some great shooters and people to learn from.

my only advice, as I'm pretty new myself, is to go, watch some, help some, shoot and have a great time.

Good Luck and enjoy

7. SARDG

SARDG

I kinda like that... perhaps a new GSSF slogan:

GSSF
    Go! Watch some, help some, shoot some; have a great time...

It's rather 'catchy' and says it all.

8. mike g35

mike g35

Great advice!!!

9. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

I would also add:

After you go through registration, go right to the stages and put your sticky labels on the sheets. You don't have to shoot right away, but it will help when your ready to shoot.

I did that at my first match, and it made it so easy.
    Greg

10. mike g35

mike g35

Greg makes a good point also. Honestly barefoot if you want some good advice on things read the post of rpgman's about help with practice. That hasn't been covered in this thread but there's a wealth of information there if you want to know how to practice for a match.

11. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

WHOA there, You want to go to each stage and sign in. You DO NOT put any lables on anything until you are at the stage to shoot after you have put the check mark by your name. After you put labels on your score sheet you are supposed to stay at that stage and shoot, NOT put on labels and then leave to the next stage. Lets train folks to do it the right way. Yes I will be working the Conyers Match.

Don

12. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

right, sorry, my bad....

yep, just sign in on each stage.

sorry.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  13. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

BTW, I wonder where Ron's been?
    I haven't seen him here other than on the main Glock Board, a few days ago.
    Wonder if he's going to Conyers?
    Greg

14. OMF64

OMF64

Don At PC is correct. After you get you stickers from registration go to all 3 stages and sign in. After you have signed in go to the stage you want to start with (i.e. Five to Glock, Glock M or Plates) and place a check mark to the left of your name on the sign in sheet. The RO will stage you when he has room on the board which means he/she will put your stickers on the score sheets and squad you. At this point you must stay at that stage and shoot it. Then you move on to the next stage and repeat. When they stage you they will stage you in the order of the time you signed in. The system works great for everyone IF it is followed, if not then it soon turns into a 3 ring circus.

Cisco

15. barefoot

barefoot

Thanks for the great info!

I just thought of something - I'll need a mag holster (or two, or three) won't I?

16. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Not really. There is no drawing and no reloading on the clock. A range bag to carry your Glock, at least 4 mags for each Glock you are shooting, Eye and Ear protection and about 150 rounds for each category you are shooting. The extra ammo covers any reshoot if you have a malfunction.

Don

17. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I was missed!!??? lol

Been on vacation this week. Left Sunday got back today. Was supposed to be tomorrow, but it kept raining so left early.

No, not going to Conyers this year, went the last two. With camping this week, and having to be in the Atlanta area next weekend for nieces wedding, decided to skip Conyers. For all those who are going.... good luck !

18. MajorD

MajorD

I second the notion of taking your time in shooting- too many people want to run and gun racing thru the stage- you can't shoot fast enough to make up for misses or d zone hits-as it should be. I see accomplished ipsc guys shoot like crap on gssf because they are used to going fast and just throwing extra marginal hits on paper to get enough points- when you aren't allowed extra shots, you need to make the ones you get count