Sport Pilot

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Burncycle, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Burncycle

Burncycle

Has this category been passed and official now?

I'm an air force brat, so I've been interested in flying since I can remember; but given the costs involved for a private pilot licence, I was thinking about dabbling in ultralights. Since I've heard about the sports pilot category though, I've been thinking about going for a sport pilots licence to start with, perhaps as a stepping stone to pursuing a private licence in the future. Does this sound like a good idea? I'm still pretty new at the real deal stuff and I'm doing some research as we speak.

2. IslandHopper

IslandHopper

3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

From what little I've heard about the SP license, the ultralight pilots are going to be able to use certified UL flight time towards a SP license.

SP should be somewhat cheaper to get but it's still probably going to cost quite a bit.

The local PPC instructor was charging $50 an hour and the two place parachutes don't even have dual controls (at least I haven't seen any).
    $50 seemed a little steep to ride around in the back seat and watch the instructor fly.
    Then your first time at the controls was your solo flight.;f

4. MNShooter

MNShooter

I have been reading threads on this site for quite some time now and figured that this particular post would be good for my first. Yes the Sport Pilot rule is in full effect and has been for awhile. I am involved in this industry and would encourage anyone that is interested to attend one of the locations on the Sport Pilot Tour. There you will be able to view many types of planes that are 100% factory built and also be able to get all of your questions answered. The US Sport Aviation Expo in Sebring FL had been scheduled for October 27-30 up until a couple of days ago but has now been rescheduled for January 12-15, thanks to hurricane Wilma. There was a lot of support at AirVenture this year with an entire area set aside for LSA. I dont know what type of LSA individuals here are interested in but many airplanes can be flown in the LSA category and I believe as of now there has been roughly 15 new aircraft certified in the US (more then just about anytime in history). Just recently the standards were written for weight-shift LSA's if that interests individuals here. If anyone here is in FL, there will be many sport planes on display at the AOPA Expo in Tampa on Nov 3-5.