spookiest thing you've ever seen in the back country

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by dieselguy, Aug 10, 2005.

1. dieselguy

dieselguy

just like the title asks, what's some spooky/scary/crazy things that you've seen in the woods.

a while back my cousin had a tiger run under his tree stand (ecscaped from zoo)

2. Shooters Plus

Shooters Plus

While i have seen plenty of "crazy" and "scary" things in the woods, the one that comes to mind is one time i was siiting in a treestand before dawn (still really dark), and everything was really quite and all of a sudden a screech owl sitting in a tree about 30' from me commenced to sreeching. It was only scary for about 3 or 4 seconds but during those 3 or 4 seconds every hair on my body was standing at full attention. ^4

3. valkyrie182

valkyrie182

Definitely, without a doubt, when I was bigfoot hunting, and I ran into a chupacabra.

4. RugerFan58

RugerFan58

I saw a fat woman in spandex one time when I was camping. Scared the crap out of me. Another time a group of us were canoe camping on The Saco River in Western Maine. We saw a guy staggering on the beach on the other side of the river. He was on something,looked like hard drugs. He couldn't form a word and was unaware of us watching him. Everyone was quiet and agreed later that the hair on our backs was on end. He gave everyone the chills......and every one of us was armed. You never know what you'll see when your deep in the woods.;c ;c

5. Weston

Weston

~rf

6. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

Somebody told me that the word "chupacabra" translates into "goat sucker."

;g

;8 ;I

7. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

8. Razoreye

Razoreye ♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

Wasn't hunting but... I was rolling down the street in my car when I see a huge woman (350-400 lbs) "jogging" (read as walking) down the sidewalk. The horrendous part was she was wearing the tightest, thinnest, pinkest spandex jogging suit you'd never want to see. Oh, I was so disgusted I almost ran off the road to hit her, but I didn't want to damage my car on that... thing. *Shudders and takes cold shower*

9. Mud

Mud

Chupracabra = goat sucker

its true

10. valkyrie182

valkyrie182

See? Doesn't that make it even more frickin' spooky?

11. SlipSquad

SlipSquad Misunderstood

12. BlackBelt

BlackBelt

Last year during deer season, I was on a part of my lease that is VERY seldom used, and discovered an abandoned meth lab. Out there, in the middle of nowhere, looks like someone had set up a small encampment and cooked quite a bit. It looked like it had been vacant for a month at the most.
    The part about it that gave me something to think about was that I'm out there with my Marlin lever action 30/30 and 5 rounds of ammo. What if I'd walked up on an active lab, with it's inhabitants unhappy about me being there? From then on, I started carrying Glock concealed, and more rifle ammo. This year, even during archery season, I feel that I need to carry a firearm for self-defense, even though state law expressly forbids it during archery only season. But the intent of the law is to keep people from using the gun on deer. I'm a sportsman and would not use a firearm during archery season, but I feel that I need to have something if I run into bad guys in the woods. I'm also a realist and know that a bow against a firearm is a losing proposition. I'm not sure that the drug guys pay attention to the gun laws.
    Guess I'd better pack that Glock in my field gear, and take my chances w/the game warden.

13. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

It's 6:30 in the morning, after a night of hard drinking with college friends around a campfire. I awoke to a shriek, and looked outside my tent to see a 5 year old white kid with a mohawk and a water balloon in each hand running through my camp. Then, I realize I have no idea who this little white kid with a mohawk and two water balloons is, or where he came from.

That was officially the earliest beer I've ever pounded, and it still didn't make everything better.

14. PatinAz

PatinAz

I saw a 'legendary' ghost that is around these parts...
    ;c ;c

15. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

A Brown Bear running thru the woods. He was knocking over small trees and shrubs and making all kinds of noise. Not sure what he was running from but I did not want to find out.

16. RENEA

RENEA Black Rifle guy

Saw a ghost.

17. MarkCO

MarkCO CLM Millennium Member

Funny for me, scary for her...A friend and I were camping with our girlfriends and about 4am my girlfriend lets out this horrendous shreik, jumps up, runs out of the tent with her friend in tow both shreiking the whole time. We figure out that it was a racoon that had ventured into camp. About 8 am we finally find these two scared girls huddled togehter on a bench in the sheriffs office in town. Feet cut to shreds, blue lips, mascara stains on their faces. Turns out the coon had likced my girlfriends feet. Last time either of them camped.

Scary for me...I came upon a lean-to with several bags hanging from trees, pots of water and some large spreads of miltary style camoflage drapped between trees. At first I thought it was just some hermit, but then I saw the nicest groomed 6 to 8 foot tall weeds, yes wacky weed. There were about 100 plants. I went into stealth mode, as much as a 200 pound white guy in 600 inches of day-glo orange can, and got out of there. Marked the map, turned it in and about a week later read about the "grower" getting busted with several dozen plants and about 40 pounds of ready to sell marijuana. He had a small arsenal as well including some mac-9s, a high powered rifle, pistols, pipe bombs and lots of plastic and duct tape.

18. Rocnerd

Rocnerd

Last time I was out I saw this go by.

[​IMG]

Ok, seriously. . . my friends and I got a late start in the White mountains up in NH one evening, so we where hiking via flashlight. I have point if you will, when I hear some rocks get knocked against one another up the trail. I stop and shine my flashlight and see two eyes reflecting the light about three feet off the ground. The two guys behind me, who up until this point were clueless as to why I stopped, were a little startled when I start clapping my hands and yelling. Once I stopped that were about to ask me what the hell I was doing when we all heard the bear, saw the scat the next morning, crash through the underbrush off the trail in search of a non-human occupied area. My two friends were all for hiking back down and staying in the car that night, but I reasoned that since the bear was going down the mountain that we would be safe enough continuing up it, not to mention I didn't want to hike back the 3 miles or so just to get a crappy night sleep in a car and hike back up the same 3 miles the next morning.

19. INODNME

INODNME

When I was a young teen I went with a group of three or four adults that had a permit for "hooping". This is where you go out at night with a high candle power spot light and freeze bunnies in their tracks so some young hot-footer can run out in the grass to throw a big wire-rimmed net hoop over the bunny and catch him alive. Should said bunny hear or see you and break his gaze on the light they spotter would yell and the hooper would back off so the spotter could take the bunny with a shotgun.

Well, it was just light enough for the first bunny to get spooked (but still too dark for humans to see anything out of the light beam) and he took off. Just after the shotgun blast my young ears hear: WAH..WAH..WAH..WAH!!!Just like a newborn baby. THEY SHOT A BABY!!!... Well not really but to me for a few seconds I was scared and confused BIGTIME.

20. Pac-man

Pac-man

I came around a corner with a goose in one hand and my Remington 6mm in the other-- looked up and I was within spitting distance from a white bear. He pause for just a second before he turned and ran. Had he charged I would have thrown the goose at him and started squeezing shots off. ;P