close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spoof email headers? help!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by CranialCrusader, Jan 10, 2007.

1. CranialCrusader

CranialCrusader

Today I received a bounced email in my inbox which was obviously a SPAM message generated with my email address as the sender. Actually, it was the public email address that is posted on the internet (on the university pages) since my university makes it so SEVERAL email names go to the same address, but they are all the same format *******@university.edu

I didn't think that spoofed emails could/would be bounced back to the "sender" and this has me concerned. I run a Macintosh MacBook with fully updated OSX 10.4 but I also use parallels to run Windows. But I have windows locked down with ZoneAlarm and I only use networking to download updates and to access network drives for MS Office. I never use windows to view web pages.

So I guess my question: Is it possible to recieve a bounced email even if you didn't generate it? Or should I assume my computer (Mac or PC side) is compromised and re-install?

Thanks,
    CranialCrusader

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

you're wrong.

everything's fine.

I spoof (manually create) headers for legitimate e-mails every once in a while to automate some tasks (i want people to just click "reply" and have those e-mails come into my main e-mail account - the opposite reason that spammers do it).

3. Toyman

Toyman

When a program sends the e-mail, it can put whatever it wants in the "reply to" part of the header.