close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Splotchy finish on P30

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by Seminoles, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Seminoles

Seminoles Millennium Member

Has anyone else noticed this on their P30 or other HK? I was wiping my P30 down and when I held the gun at an angle I noticed the finish was a little splottchy looking. Using a gun cloth or CLP doesn't take it off, just hides it a little. For $700.00 I would hope for perfection for a nib gun.

2. GlockUSA

GlockUSA

Are you going to carry it in a holster? & shoot it? if so the finish will start to wear in no time! shoot the hell out of it & then you can always get it refinished down the road.
    Ive been shooting & carying my P-30 for 8 months in a Kydex holster & it shows lots of wear.
    $700 is a great deal on a nib P-30, I paid $850 for mine.

3. Seminoles

That's fine and dandy with me when a firearm gets holster wear from carrying it. But when the finish comes out of the box flawed is what I hate. All I've heard over the past 20 years is how great HK is.
    I have purchased 13 Glocks and 7 Sigs since 1991 and they have all been mint out of the box.
    I love the gun and I'm gonna keep it. Feels perfect in the hand. Even better than my 228.

4. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

Can you post some pictures?

5. Seminoles

I'll see if I can some up when I get home tonight.

6. Seminoles

Here are some pics of the finish on my P30. Was wiped down with a silicone cloth. It just doesnt look normal to me. Hope you can tell what Im talking about in the pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. H&K 4 LIFE

I honestly cannot tell what that is. Looks like fingerprints to me. Have you tried cleaning it with some rubbing alcohol? Might just be residue. Although if the CLP didn't take it off it might be part of the finish.

8. Seminoles

After speaking with HK customer service, the cs rep told me that HK does not warranty their finish. I then reminded him that this is a new handgun and it came from the factory this way. He said to email them pics (which I did) and they would get back to me.
    I emailed the pics last Monday 3/29/10 and still havent heard anything.

9. sigcalcatrant

sigcalcatrant

To Add to what H&K 4 Life said, try the rubbing alcohol thing, then wipe down with CLP and see what that does. I have sixteen HK's, old and new, including a P30 and none are like that.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  10. Seminoles

I did the alcohol wipe down and it's still the same. I finally received a email from HK and was told to call a guy named Travis tomorrow. He's the guy that's checking out the pics I sent them.

11. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

You did the alcohol, cool. But did you do the CLP after?

A nice light coat of CLP left on for a minute or so then buffed with a dry cloth will make that slide brand new.
    :wavey:

12. Seminoles

Yep, did the CLP also. No change. Whatever is wrong with the finish is beyond just cleaning and wiping it down. Its almost like something wasnt applied or mixed right. My cousin just bought one today and the finish is perfect.
    Ill update tomorrow after I talk to H&K.
    Thanks for all the input guys.

13. Seminoles

Hi guys. I sent my P30 on 4/06/10 and received it back on 4/13/10. One week turnaround is great. They told me that it looked like to them that the final part of the finish was applied and the oil that was on the slide was not completely cleaned off. Well, they applied some kind of cleaner to it and then some oil and sent it back. Here it is now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks a lot better. I dealt with a guy named Travis and he was great. Think Im gonna pick up me a P2000sk next.

14. gtmtnbiker98

gtmtnbiker98

Glad it worked out for you.

15. H&K 4 LIFE

Excellent! Glad your issue is resolved. :)

16. Chonny

Chonny

I was gonna say it looks like something is under the finish.

Glad it got resolved in about a week thats great.

17. svtlightning03

svtlightning03

Seminole,

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CBEN%7E1.CHA%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Although not as bad as yours, I too have a "splotchy" finish on my P30 .40 S&W. The once spot is very similar to those in your pictures. I have only been to the range twice with it - no holstering.

18. Seminoles

Got any pics of it SVT? Mine has never been holstered either. Or even shot. The gunsmith that looked at mine at H&K seems to think its the foam in the cases that causes this. I do know that my P30 was not in a plastic bag when I bought it.

19. Larry V

Larry V

Finish on my new P30 40 is very good.

20. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Glad they took care of it for you. That's a lot of money to me and I would want it to look new out of the box. Hopefully it didn't cost you anything to get it fixed.