Spinoff: too much stuff: duty belts/asp cuffs

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by CAcop, Nov 7, 2010.

1. CAcop

CAcop

I have been kicking around the idea of thinning out my duty belt to save my back and knees. Right now I am thinking of going triple mag pouch instead of quad (1911) and going to a smaller back up light. The big thing I was wondering about are there any real savings in weight I can get by going ith ASP cuffs? Also I remember them having issues with being easily defeated in the begining, do they still have that problem?

Any other weight saving tips?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

How much on your duty belt can you shove to the front? How much of it is something that you do not use often, rather it could be carried in a back up bag instead?

3. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

4. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Farmer, House Sitter and Cook

ASP cuffs are smooth as can be and are lightweight but they bend more easily. It doesn't take much to get the single bar out of alignment with the double-bar gate. That can be easily remedied but that is exactly the problem, they are easily bent.

I pack a helluva bunch of pretty heavy stuff on my belt but I keep it all from 8-o'clock to 4-o'clock on my 35" waist.

Are you carrying a Taser? Mine is at 1-o'clock angled for a weak hand cross draw and that takes up the most room on my belt. If I would make concessions to how I carry that, it would free up some other options but I won't budge on that (for now).

5. Hack

I have seen some of the folks around here carry the TASER on the non dominant side but strapped to the leg instead of on the belt.

6. G-man

G-man Millennium Member

I used to carry every thing you could think of!

I've found that I don't use anywhere near what I carry.

I now only carry 1 mag, I still have 2 sets of cuffs but one of those is lightweights in a double cuff case.

I carry a surefire G2, a lightweight 16"ASP in my BDU pocket to bang on doors, prod and break windows.

A taser X26 in a serpa holster.

A small can of Fox OC.

All on a nylon duty rig...does it make a difference...well kinda especially getting rid of the Autolock 21 which now sits in my bag and the extra mag I ditched.

I still carry a backup pistol in an ankle holster. Hardly know it's there sometimes.

G-man
    1*

7. Hack

I don't think I would care for the ankle holster. Seems like a vest carry would be a little better.

Of course, back up pistols are verboten in my job anyway.

8. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

I carried a triple mag pouch and a double (1911) for a while. That was stupid.

MF

9. BIGGUNS911

BIGGUNS911

10. lndshark

lndshark

11. CAcop

CAcop

Pretty much all of it is up front. I keep the back clear. I pretty much use everything or could use everything depending on how the day goes.

12. CAcop

CAcop

The Safariland mag pouches got me thinking about going from quad to tripple. I once long ago carried only 2 4506 mags but I just can't do it now. I have a Detonics flashlight that runs off of 2 CR123s on my belt now but I am thinking of going to a PT 2AA light in my shirt pocket as back up. Pretty bright according to the propaganda the company puts out. The 7060 just sits in my sap pocket. I gave up on the stupid belt holster long ago.

13. pal2511

pal2511

That magazine idea looks like a good idea (Safariland)

I have thought about switching to a single magazine holder though and putting the asp in my bag or pocket. I usually carry my maglite on any call that may hint of trouble.

I carry a microphone pack for car, small oc, handcuff, g22 with x200, asp, strion led, radio, taser

14. collim1

collim1

For regular patrol I wouldn't be comfortable getting rid of any of my gear.

Yes, my belt is leather, and heavy but i carry most up front and wear plenty of belt keepers.

From center buckle right: OC, open top cuff case, safariland 6070, regular cuff pouch, latex glove pouch on spine, flashlight, radio, asp, double mag pouch.

As you see, i dont carry a taser, my ASP has worked just fine for me in the past.

Interdiction on the highway(not my normal gig, but on occasion) is the only time I stray from my Class A and full leather belt.

Crawling on the ground, in cars, and climbing through pallets and various cargo loads requires a class B uniform and minimal equipment.

Vest worn on the outside so it can be removed before searching, after suspects are detained.

Belt with flashlight, gun, reload, and handcuffs is it then.

15. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

I go with the basics. Gun, double mag case, OC case, cuff case, radio holder and small LED Styron flashlight.

16. Hack

Maybe for your knees your department wouldn't mind you wearing wraps on them. Use the best innersouls that you can get a hold of for your duty footwear as well as your off duty foot wear, and it will help a little bit. I know it works for me.

As to your back, if your department will let you I would recommend those suspenders, and wear a wrap for your back.

And, if you don't do much in the way of ab crunches, start back into those, (preaching at myself on the abs:)).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  17. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Where do you start? The lightest setup I had was duty gun/holster, OC/pouch, cuff/cuffcase, radio/clip, baton ring/polycarbonate PR-24, mags/mag pouch. That was as light as it got. Keys were tucked into the belt buckle and the maglite went into the sap pocket.

Nowadays, you gotta add tons more gear, including a nitrile glove carrier, extra pair of cuffs, cell phone, gunlight, belt mounted backup flashlight, taser, and whatever else you have to have. I think Cochese even got an AR mag on his belt behind his pistol mags.

18. CAcop

CAcop

One of our guys has one. I saw it and liked the idea and then realized I was just adding more weight.

If I am going into something where I think I might need a second mag I am better off taking a few more seconds and grabbing my war bag with all kinds of extra mags.

19. Delon

Delon

I have two pair of ASP Hinged Aluminum cuffs on my belt and have had zero issues.
    It is true that you can get the single strand out of alignment with the double strand.

But if you know that before hand it is easy to deal with. I was also taught you don't cuff non-compliant people until they are compliant so it hasn't been an issue.

My two pair of hinged cuffs weigh about what a single pair of hinged peerless.
    ASP also has a aluminum ASP which cuts down on weight.

For a belt light, get a surefire G2Z and put a LED drop in like http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/m61-mod-to-fit-surefire-p-7.html

It will put out insane amounts of light and doesn't have much weight to it.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  20. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

How long do you wait around until the guy is compliant?:whistling:

Or does it count when you got 5 guys on the turd and you put the cuffs on when he is immobilized?:supergrin: