Spider ID Please

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by nrajeff, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Yeah, that's not a brown recluse. I'm 90% certain that the brown recluse is a wandering spider that does not make a web, but I'm not entirely sure.

nrajeff likes this.
  2. nrajeff

nrajeff

More pics of the thing on my desk
    Mine had one long strand of a web stretched from the generator to the basement door about a foot off the floor (that's why I noticed it), and there may have been a small secondary web and some dead bugs in both webs. More pics, hopefully clearer. The spider doesn't like to hold still for pics, and when I flip the bag over to get a shot of its underside, it immediately tries to right itself. It's hyper. Maybe the last bug it ate was full of Monster Energy.

Attached Files:

3. nrajeff

nrajeff

Thanks also for that CISR site. I found an article at phys.org called "The widow next door: Where is the globally invasive noble false widow settling next?"

Originating from Madeira (Portugal) and the Canary Islands (Spain), the Noble False Widow has been rapidly spreading around the globe over the last few decades. While the species is already well established in Western Europe and large parts of the Mediterranean area, it has recently spread into California, South America and Central Europe. Meanwhile, its populations in England, where the spider used to be restricted to the very southern parts of the country, are now seen to experience a sudden expansion northwards.

As its name suggests, this is a relatively large species that resembles the well-known Black Widow and can inflict a painful—yet mostly harmless to humans—bite. Naturally, its 'arrival' causes widespread concerns and public disruptions. Specifically, the Noble False Widow poses a threat to native faunas, since it can prey on nearly every smaller animal thanks to its potent venom and sturdy webs.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  4. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

So you're pretty sure it's a False Widow? I didn't see an hour glass, so you may be right. I wouldn't tempt fate though, venomous or not.

Release it outside if you dare. Or step on her while she's in the bag then dispose of the bag.

Or get a small enclosure for her and keep her as a pet.

5. nrajeff

nrajeff

Okay, now that I know I won't die in my sleep, I think I will try to get some shuteye. Thanks to everyone for their posts. If you never see any more posts from me, it means we were wrong about the ID and I became a meal for an egg sac full of baby widows. :)

Edit to add: I plan to release it into the yard. We have a good crop of praying mantises around the outside walls of the house, and maybe the spider can help with killing the bad bugs that are out there. Or, I could put Spidey in a jar with a mantis and have a cage match....but that would be mean. I'm not Michael Vick...

Jade Falcon likes this.
  6. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

Just as an FYI, all spiders are venomous. It is just a matter of how venomous and what they are and what type of venom they have.

7. drumgod

drumgod

nrajeff and Jade Falcon like this.
  8. lockANDload

lockANDload

I'll never forget a time laying in bed drifting off when i felt something crawl up my neck.....grabbed what was a spider the size of a nickle, and that's big for VT. Threw it at the wall so hard I think I knocked it out haha. Looking at it, it had what looked like a skull on its hind end. I never figured out what it was, and I had a hell of a time getting to sleep the rest of the night! I may have even loaded the 12g with some bird shot and scoped out the room! I decided not to tell the wife about that one.

9. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

Yep. When you see one, there are hundreds or more hiding. I've heard they like to explore cozy bed clothes in the dark.

nursetim likes this.
  10. peng

peng

I'd be more worried about that other leg that's in the picture. :D

Looks like it belongs to a tad larger critter.

Capture.JPG

jimcorbin and nrajeff like this.
  11. nrajeff

nrajeff

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also caught the big brother too.

Actually, that's a blade of grass that got into the ziplock with the spider.

12. nrajeff

nrajeff

Thanks. Mine is similar to that one, but there are enough differences that I am not sure. I looked at a lot of pics last night, and the one that comes closest to mine is of the False Widow. On the other hand, I am not sure False Widows are supposed to be living this far east. I read that they inhabit the west coast, so you may be right on this. It's now outside where it belongs, back in the Survival of the Fittest war. It better tell its friends to stay out of my house, though, because all further intrusions will invoke the Castle Doctrine.

drumgod likes this.
  13. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Microwave it on high for 12minutes

jimcorbin and nrajeff like this.
  14. Timber Ghost

Timber Ghost

nrajeff likes this.
  15. jmohme

jmohme

I don't know the common name but the scientific Latin name is Iracanus soontobedeadacus.

Well, that's the name if it crawls across the ground in front of me!

nrajeff likes this.
  16. nrajeff

nrajeff

...and then season to taste? :)

tuica likes this.
  17. nrajeff

nrajeff

18. tuica

tuica

We all have our own policies. Spiders are scary looking - but useful. With their own kind of cool. I catch and release outside. Flies and mosquitoes are executed.

nrajeff likes this.
  19. voyager4520

voyager4520

I don't know about brown widows but black widows have some of the strongest webbing. It's haphazard strands going every which direction and strong enough to hold a big screwdriver layed into it.

20. nrajeff

nrajeff

True. When I walk into a web and it feels extra strong, I always wonder if it was a black widow web. Then I run screaming.

Jade Falcon likes this.