close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Speer Gold Dot

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by access1, Feb 17, 2010.

1. access1

access1

Is Speer LE Gold Dot considered an excellent self defense round for 9mm? And what would be better their 147 grain or 115 grain?

I notice ammo to go has 500 rounds of either grain for $239.95. Is that a good deal?
    thanks!

2. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

YES, and I like the 147gr for better penetration.

Good shooting.

CanyonMan

3. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

4. N/Apower

N/Apower

I am a fan of the 124gr +P in this loading. I shot it at a car door and it did great. I also shot the car-door with 147gr WWB and 147gr Ranger T. Neither did very well. Since neither expanded/shed the jacket, I don't think the 147gr Gold Dot would have done any better, had I any to test.

Than again, I have never been attacked by a car-door either...

5. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Deleted
    CanyonMan

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  6. Mwinter

Mwinter I'm MilkMan Dan

CM, sign me up for the full tour!

With regards to the 9mm GDHPs.....all 5 flavors (115, 115+p+, 124, 124+p, and 147gr) are designed to meet minimum FBI specs. The hotter rounds tend to penetrate a little less and open a little wider than the vanilla flavors...but hardly enough for me to get excited about. If you can get a hold of one, Speer's LE catalog foldout poster (what my wife calls the 'centerfold' haha) shows the expanded bullets with all the test data.

My main Q would be 'what platform?'. If I'm using a little squirtgun like a KT or Rohbaugh, then a standard pressure round might be desirable or mandated. In anything above G19, then any of the 9mm GDHPs are easy to shoot.

The Gold Dot +p's usually show a brighter, 'whiter' flash than the standard pressure rounds in case you anticipate low-light use.

If someone handed me a Glock with 124gr or 147gr, I'd be all warm and fuzzy with an easy to shoot, capable handgun. The 115 is too light for my taste, but I'm a cardoor/windshield-phobic guy due to work.

Forced to choose, I'd opt for the 124, 147, and 115 standard pressure rounds in that order. If you have a special requirement (certain min vel out of a short barrel, penetration of certain barriers, etc.) then the +p's might work out a little better.

7. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

+1 on the above 147gr GD and I can bring my own saddle. :supergrin:

Bob

8. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Deleted

CanyonMan

9. Police Marksman

Police Marksman

The Gold Dot are Excellent ammo!
    Check out the Gold Dot poster below to compare loads. There is not much diffenence in performance from the 124 +P and the 147 grain 9mm gold dot.

http://le.atk.com/pdf/GoldDotPoster.pdf

10. glocksterr

glocksterr DirtyGlockHippy

hee,hee,

just someething about another mans saddle that makes me cringe.

:rofl:

GS!

11. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Deleted
    CM

12. coal

coal

I'll take 147gr as I prefer more penetration to expansion. I'd be fine with 124gr +p, too.

And, I care less what it looks like after the barrier and more about what occurs in the target after. I would not expect expansion through the car door as is a hydrostatic process. Regardless, having not tried the Gold Dots you'll never know.

13. N/Apower

N/Apower

I doubt they will do any better considering velocity/energy is what is determining penetration on a car door. The 147' I tried didn't make it through the car door very reliably, and none shed a jacket, etc that would make me think a bonded round would do any better. The 124's did go through. Almost every single time. Both Gold-Dot and Ranger T.

14. G26Okie

G26Okie

Gold Dots are great, they are bonded so the jacket/core doesn't separate. I keep them in my Sp101, however my g17 is loaded with federal 9bple 115gr +p+ which is also an excellent round, those run $19/50 from cheaper than dirt.

Here is a page with different 9mm loads tested: http://frag.110mb.com/

15. Mwinter

Mwinter I'm MilkMan Dan

FYI, the FBI protocol 'sheet metal' test event uses components designed to simulate a common vehicle door.

Take a look at www.le.atk.com and www.hornady.com ; both have tons of test data posted.

The windshield event is typically the toughest on bullets.....the sheet metal event usually turns a bonded JHP bullet into a flat-meplat "wadcutter" that retains weight and penetrates deep. In some cases you actually see 'discs' of metal remaining on the nose of the bullet, cut out as it passes through the sheetmetal.

Car doors also have wires, plastic, handles, etc. that are not replicated by any standardized test event. If you want to lose faith in most common pistol rounds, shoot them at a vehicle door with the window rolled down...maximum suckitude for most types/brands of pistol ammo, and vast majority of available .223 as well (very high energy/velocity of course).

Bullet construction and weight play a much more important role in continous or 'momentum' penetration (people, softer barrier materials).....high velocity projectiles are better at 'piercing' single/thin barriers (armor). I'm no engineer, but to me it's a case of a needle vs. a hammer.....with 12ga being a 'sledgehammer' lol. (Hyperbole >ON<.)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  16. N/Apower

N/Apower

VERY TRUE! I wish I had enough car-doors to test .45/9mm/357SIG against each other on a window-down type scenario.

17. gusbuster

gusbuster

Are you guys familiar with the GD 124gr +p short barrel? I was wondering if this would be a better choice for a G26. According to the Speer website they achieve a velocity of 1150 fps from a 3.5 inch barrel, which would be approx. the the same velocity as the std 124gr +p, but maybe with less flash and better expansion?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  18. HWA GLOCKER

HWA GLOCKER

I trust my life with the 124+p in my G26, and in my G17 and G21sf I like federal HST's!

19. FatBoy

FatBoy Millennium Member

GDs are fine. I use the 124+p, but I would choose the 147s between your two choices.

FB