Glock Talk banner
61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
9,065 Posts
I've got 6 mags for each pistol and have 2000 rounds of brass on order from Starline. Getting the bullets I want are going to be the big problem. I can't afford to load a huge number of the Lehigh bullets as they are pricey, to say the least. What I want are the 165 Speer Gold Dots, my second favorite bullet. I like the velocity possible out of the 10mm and it's high enough to insure they operate as advertised. I don't know if Federal sells the HST bullet as a component (they don't) so that would leave the Golden Saber. I've already tried a few of the Hornady 155's and while they didn't seperate the core & jacket like the (older) 9mm's, they do fold the petals back along the shank of the bullet at 10mm velocities, so I may try slowing them down some (against every fiber of my being!) to see if that works. I suspect they are optimised for the 40S&W. We'll see what turns up but somehow I don't ever see the Lehigh bullets coming out "on sale" from anyone! I can use either the 100 gr or the 115 XD, but I think the 100 is the optimum bullet for the 10mm. I have some and once I get a red dot for my G29 I'll do do some bench shooting to see if there's a preference.
Cheers,
crkckr

If it is the Hornady XTP they are designed for "limited expansion" so they can get a couple extra inches of penetration. The XTP is the last round I would use for DS.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've had a lot of trouble with the XTP's in both .45 and 9mm shedding the jackets pretty quickly. Admittedly these were older bullets so it's possible they have fixed that. The 155 gr. 10mm I just tested did not penetrate well at all and from my point of view, way over expanded. But there was no indication that the jacket and core wanted to part company, so that is good. From what I've seen in jello tests they do not penetrate very well at 10mm velocities. I'm guessing, but I think they will perform better at lower velocities, such as what you would get from a 40S&W. I do not trust the older 45 & 9mm XTP's at all and only use them for training and only because I already happen to have them!
Cheers,
crkckr

·
Premium Member
3,221 Posts
I've had a lot of trouble with the XTP's in both .45 and 9mm shedding the jackets pretty quickly. Admittedly these were older bullets so it's possible they have fixed that. The 155 gr. 10mm I just tested did not penetrate well at all and from my point of view, way over expanded. But there was no indication that the jacket and core wanted to part company, so that is good. From what I've seen in jello tests they do not penetrate very well at 10mm velocities. I'm guessing, but I think they will perform better at lower velocities, such as what you would get from a 40S&W. I do not trust the older 45 & 9mm XTP's at all and only use them for training and only because I already happen to have them!
Cheers,
crkckr
The factory loaded Hornady 180 XTPs are an excellent 10mm carry load. I carried them on duty for the last 10 years or so before I retired. It’s a well balanced, controllable round out of a Glock 20. Penetration is good as is more typical with a controlled expansion bullet like the XTP.

I agree that 155s are on the light side for 10mm, especially if guys load them very hot. They can be pushed too fast for the bullet’s design parameters.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts