Glock Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Its nice to see the .38 spl penetrating deep! Long live the snubby!
13-14" is anything but "deep", in fact it falls short. After decades of putting bullets into living things Ive found that if a cartridge cannot consistently reach 16" it's not up to par. Add in the unnecessary blast & recoil and it's not worth it.

Two to three extra inches of penetration trumps 0.19" of expansion. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
HST is consistently in the 13-14" range
13-14" isn't deep enough

and it does a fine job in the real world.
Care to provide some of these "real world" examples?
Using this exact load... out a snub... doing a "fine job"... in actual living things?

We're not talking about hunting rounds here.
Where did I say a word about "hunting rounds"?

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Dunno about the rest of you folks, but if .38SPL load can be accurately fired from a snub and expand anywhere from .45-.60" after defeating Heavy Clothing in 10% organic gel, producing 10-13" penetration, I'm not losing any sleep over carrying it.
How is .45-.60 a "better deal" when it often doesn't penetrate deep enough to hit vital structures as I have found?

That's a better deal, to me, than the days of little or no expansion with excessive penetration.
Yet 38 LRN and FWC have proven themselves as excellent fight stoppers on the streets for well over half a century. Can anyone point to a vetted long term study that directly compares relevant wounds created by JHP and LRN/FWC/Etc on the streets? Something where all data is provided and can be studied by others.

Further, what is "excessive penetration"?
Multiple decades worth of actual street use has shown that the most commonly used 38 loads tended to be found either just under the skin opposite the entry point, or exit and be found laying harmlessly just beyond the target

I won't even lose any sleep with one of the large cavity JHP's (like the 135gr GDHP) that may occasionally fail to expand, but provides 'cookie cutter' shearing and cutting with almost full calibewide sharp shoulders, compared to the old 158gr JHP or JSP +P's that had soft, rounded shoulders and sometimes looked like they could be reloaded and fired again.
I've yet to find any consistent meaningful evidence of such "shearing and cutting" from any "sharp shoulders" with most of the countless JHP bullets I've fired into actual living "flesh & blood". The only place I've seen any such consistency is with FWC and SWC, if they don't tumble you can often find "cookie-cutter" type holes in organs (i've even found a couple of the plugs while processing). Beyond that I've found that the wounds created by typical expanding bullets are more often than not relatively indistinguishable from non-expanding bullets, this using the common handgun service calibers*

The most obvious difference I see is that non-expanding bullets will often hit more structures at depth, especially when fired in trajectories that are more longitudinal through the body. I've seen this in my own "flesh & blood" testing as well as real world shootings of humans, with one particular example being Christopher Wallace.

He was hit 4 times with 9mm FMJ ammunition, all rounds first penetrated through a car before striking him. Three of the bullets struck and traveled through non-vital areas; Lower forearm out wrist, back out shoulder, inner thigh. But the fourth bullet entered his right hip and traversed diagonally through his entire torso before stopping in his upper left shoulder (keep in mind he was a big fella at nearly 400#). Along the way it tore through his colon, liver, heart and lung. The people in the vehicle said he was almost immediately unconscious and the ER found he had already bleed out.

Just say'n ;)

*Oddball cartridges like 5.7x28 do unusual things thus not applicable here

1 - 3 of 3 Posts