Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Test Gun: S&W M442
Barrel length: 1 7/8 inches.
Ammunition: Speer .38 Spl 135gr Gold Dot +P (53925)
Test media: 10% Vyse Ballistics Gel
Distance: 10 feet.
Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
Five shot velocity average: 848fps
BB Calibration: 4 inches.

Speer .38 Spl 135gr Gold Dot +P in Vyse Ballistics Gel

·
Registered
37,798 Posts
The first gel test I observed with the then-new Speer 135gr +P GDHP was at a hosted gel event (Winchester Mobile Lab). The block was previously used and had been sitting outside for a while, so the 'calibration' was anybody's guess. ;)

I don't have the notes from that afternoon at my fingertips, but I think the 4LD shots were approx 10+ inches, which is where some Remington 125gr +P BJHP loads fell in the same block (fired from a 360PD belonging to one of the attending cops, and it was also his Rem loads used). Seemed reasonable, and not all that different from what was later found in that TDP .pdf that Speer put online for a while.

·
Registered
10,310 Posts

I'm a wadcutter man myself.

Cosmetics Rectangle Box Packaging and labeling Font

And if I load them myself over 2.9 grains of Bullseye I use the 148gr hollowbase WCs. Mild and very accurate. If I'm packing my J frame .38, especially the airweight version, wadcutter it is.

But if I'm using a, 2.5 inch 66-3 Magnum

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

I'll step up to some Buffalo Bore 158gr LSWHPs at about 1050 fps from that 2.5 inch barrel but...

·
Mr. Awesome
12,753 Posts
Excellent data points, as always. Thank you!

·
Registered
9,082 Posts

Sorry but 850 fps just doesn't do it for me 135gr or not. My 38 snub nose carry round is the Underwood 125 gr Gold Dot which gets around 1100 fps velocity out of a 2 inch barrel and 1250 fps out of a 4 inch barrel. This video explains.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Its nice to see the .38 spl penetrating deep! Long live the snubby!
13-14" is anything but "deep", in fact it falls short. After decades of putting bullets into living things Ive found that if a cartridge cannot consistently reach 16" it's not up to par. Add in the unnecessary blast & recoil and it's not worth it.

Two to three extra inches of penetration trumps 0.19" of expansion. :unsure:

·
Registered
33,508 Posts
13-14" is anything but "deep", in fact it falls short. After decades of putting bullets into living things Ive found that if a cartridge cannot consistently reach 16" it's not up to par. Add in the unnecessary blast & recoil and it's not worth it.

HST is consistently in the 13-14" range and it does a fine job in the real world.

We're not talking about hunting rounds here.

·
Registered
39,021 Posts
Sorry but 850 fps just doesn't do it for me 135gr or not. My 38 snub nose carry round is the Underwood 125 gr Gold Dot which gets around 1100 fps velocity out of a 2 inch barrel and 1250 fps out of a 4 inch barrel. This video explains.

You actually chrono those loads or accepting the manf data?

Reactions: Railsplitter

·
Registered
39,021 Posts

I tend to agree though I think 14" is acceptable & really should be the FBI min imo.

·
Registered
39,021 Posts
The fellow doing this test used his chrono to get these velocities. Manf. data?
What does it do in YOUR gun? Revo data is all over the place. Ammo manf put their best data on their ads. Not saying they lie, but in a revo, vel can vary 100fps in the same bbl lengths. So you may not be getting what you think you are.
Btw, was making ref to your UW load as to manf data.

• Haha
Reactions: Railsplitter
1 - 20 of 63 Posts