close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Speer #14 error?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by njl, Jan 30, 2010.

1. njl

njl Crusty Member

I was looking at 10mm loads in my speer manual, and this caught my eye.

From what I've seen so far, generally within a caliber, as bullet weight increases, recommended powder charges (for the same powder) decrease, which makes sense because the heavier bullets tend to take up more case space leading to less volume / more pressure.

For 10mm, Viht. 3N37 powder, the load ranges (according to Speer) are:

165gr, 8.3gr-9.2gr 1091-1228fps
    180gr, 9gr-10gr 1027-1150fps

Viht./Lapua's data is quite different.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  2. kjm1016

kjm1016

No, the Speer manual is not an 'error'. Conditions may have been different during testing. (different primer, barrel length, temperature, etc.) Buy a third manual and you will find results that differ from both Speer and Viht./Lapua. That's just the way it goes.

3. njl

njl Crusty Member

I can understand how there'd be small differences...but this is nearly 50% more powder...and the larger charge for heavier bullet makes it even more unusual.

4. fredj338

fredj338

If you look at data form 4 diff manuals, they willa ll be diff. One reason I like the SPeer is they test from actaul guns, many other , like Lapua, use a test bbl mounted to a univ rec. This kind of skews results, especially on the low end. The univ rec does nto have to cycle, the actual gun test platfrom does. Diff components, & test platforms are going to give diff results. It's why you need more than one data osurce & why I use average data between mutliple sources when working w/ a new powder/bullet combo.

5. D. Manley

D. Manley

On this one, I think I'd email Speer and ask for an explanation. It's not unusual for a manual to have an error (or more). I have a number of supplemental "inserts" from several manuals containing corrected data that were issued after the original printing.

6. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

I rolled my "8 Ball." It shows 7.4 grn. as a max load producing 1165 fps from a 5.5" bbl. using 180 grn Speer bullets. Nothing at all using this powder for 165 grn bullets but if I drop to 155 grns.....7.2 to 8.2 AND 8.7 being maximum loads. There you go. Call Speer.

7. njl

njl Crusty Member

I'm not loading for 10mm at the moment and have no plans to purchase 3N37, so it's not an issue for me...but I did send essentially the body of my first post on this to Speer via their web contact form. I'll post if I get a reply.

8. D. Manley

D. Manley

I'd be interested to see their reply. I do shoot 3N37 a bit although, not in 10MM. I'm a bit suspicious of their data on this one...the starting charge of the (heavier) 180 grain bullet is very close to the max of the (lighter) 165 grain bullet...both being, of the same design. If there's a logical explanation, I'm missing it.

9. dougader

dougader

they had seemingly switched data like that in the Speer 11 manual under 9mm data with HS6. I see typos all the time.