Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Has anyone installed Speed Sights (speedsights.com)? Have they improved your accuracy? I was thinking of installing them on my G17.
A long time fixture here on GT that I haven;t seen in a while was a guy named Ocean Bob. He is a very knowledgeable guy and he loved Speed Sights, at least a few years ago he loved them.

They seem a little busy for me. When I want speed, I go with a narrow post Fiber Optic front sight from Dawson and a semi U notch all black rear from Warren Tactical.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I went through a phase where I tried every sight known to man - speed sights were one of the better ones I tried. I would not put them in the "better accuracy" category, they are meant for speed more than precision - they're as good as any normal sight for accuracy just not built for enhanced precision.

At the end of the day though, I found I didn't like the fraction of a second it took my brain to adjust between different types of sight pictures going between specialty sights like speed sights and the standard night sights I have on my carry guns. I found I preferred standard post notch so I use Dawson on range guns and factory night sights on carry guns.

The guy I sold them to absolutely loves them. So it's hard to give advice as these "different" types of sights are very much a personal preference.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Has anyone installed Speed Sights (speedsights.com)? Have they improved your accuracy? I was thinking of installing them on my G17.
I have them on my 21 & 23 (tritium lamps on both). I carry both on duty (not at the same time) and work mostly nights. While accuracy was slightly better, picking up the sight picture was much improved. I would purchase them again.

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
The main thing that makes a shooter able to engage targets quickly is the ability to get an effective sight picture as soon as possible. That is largely a matter of practice and skill development.

All else equal, the ability to call hits with less visual information is a big advantage. But all else isn't equal until you really learn how to look at the sights and targets effectively. You should be able to look at an array of different targets and know specifically what sight picture is needed on each of them without the gun in play. Once you can do that, you can start figuring out what sight hardware best supports your visual approach.

The most challenging and revealing type of exercise is transitioning around at warp drive between targets with greatly varying degrees of openness. That's much more difficult than drawing to an array of targets that all require the same type of sight picture.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.