Glock Talk banner

Special Town Meeting in Wellfleet Photos

344 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Bullman
The town of Wellfleet is, of course, within the Commonwealth of MA. As such the town has an Annual Town Meeting. This is how we decide how to spend our money, vote on our budget, pass local regs, etc. This past Monday we had a Special Town Meeting (this in addition to the normal Annual Town Meeting in April and a very common occurrence). Here are a few pictures from the event:

Meeting was supposed to start at 7PM. Because the questions were contentious ones (dealt with zone issues in the National Seashore -- a federal park property where people can live and build homes) lots of folks came. Nearly 500 showed up. That's a lot for off-season Wellfleet (population 3,200).

On entering the gym they check you're a voter and you get a voting ticket (only needed if a count is taken for a given article on the warrant -- normal votes are by voice vote).

These are voting tickets. They should be all one color, but as we ran out the Town Clerk had to go back to the office and scrounge up whatever she could find!

Harry is Town Moderator (he runs the meetings).

A couple of members of the Board of Selectmen (sitting). Our Town Administrator is walking behind them.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pictures from Wellfleet's STM...

Our Finance Committe. They help oversee the town's budgets.

Our Health Agent sitting in the non-voting bleachers. Nice kid.

Ira, a buddy of mine and a selectmen. Wife is a famous writer. He's also my publisher.

Chuck.

Two mics are set up at either side of the room. Anyone (voters) who want to speak to an issue comes to the mic and does so.

Anyway, small town America still lives on Cape Cod!

· Mr. Awesome
12,886 Posts
Where I live there is a small group of people who are pushing an all around smoking ban. The town meeting pulled in about 250 people. I am sure that is the most people to attend a town meeting ever.

Everyone who wanted was able to speak into a mic and address the City Council members.

I spoke my piece.

· Registered
38,684 Posts
How long did the meeting last?

If we did that it would never end.

· Banned
12,802 Posts
ChiefWPD;11543636 said:
Anyway, small town America still lives on Cape Cod!

Still exists out here too. TBO might be familiar with my old town I went to high school in. We were out there for a football game the other week. Before the game, the team had a group prayer; the Boy Scouts brought out the flag, and at the start of the National Anthem every male from our town stood up and took off their hats.

· Registered
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CAcop;11570989 said:
How long did the meeting last?

If we did that it would never end.
It was supposed to have started at 7PM. Because of the number of people that came, it was closer to 8. Didn't end till around 11, and I was surprised it actually finished in one night.

· Crazy CO
18,146 Posts
ChiefWPD;11571471 said:
It was supposed to have started at 7PM. Because of the number of people that came, it was closer to 8. Didn't end till around 11, and I was surprised it actually finished in one night.
I dare say, "Wow!" It must have been some meeting.:wow:

· Malcontent
11,682 Posts
So did they hire Quint to get that shark?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts