Special Occasion Gun

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by glockdoc21, Apr 22, 2012.

1. glockdoc21

glockdoc21

I've got a milestone coming up, and I think that I'm going to treat myself to a new gun. I'd like something that I could keep forever and give to my kids someday, but something that I'll enjoy too. The guns in the running so far are a nice AR15, a nice 1911 (probably a Springfield loaded), an M1A standard or a Sig 220 or 239. I'd like something that I could either carry (if a handgun) or use to hunt deer (if a rifle). $1500 is the most I'll spend. Any suggestions?

2. CajunBass

CajunBass

Smith & Wesson Model 27-2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is just something about the old P&R guns.

3. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

$1,500 and you like the idea of a 1911? Get a nice Dan Wesson, or consider that you're really close to Les Baer territory. Skip the Springfield Loaded. Decent gun, but you're in the price range to take a big step up.

4. countrygun

countrygun

Kinda of outside the box, but I too am thinking along those lines and a strong candidate is a CZ75 stainless steel model. A bit of "Bling" put still totally practical. Although an M1a as you mentioned would be awfully nice, but heavy for hunting.

5. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Also - if you're looking at M1A / M14's, skip the Springfield.

I don't want to sound like I'm bashing Springfields today... I own a TRP and a Loaded M1A. Again, good guns, but if I knew when I bought it what I know now, I would have bought a Fulton or a LRB from the get-go.

Just my 2 cents adjusted for inflation.

6. TN.Frank

TN.Frank "Don't Tread On Me!"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2012
  7. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

8. Patchman

Patchman Florist

An all metal gun and then have it engraved with something special to you. Yes, that'll probably go above $1500.

9. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

10. collim1

collim1

The M1a is an obvious choice. A mint condition old school smith and wesson revolver would be nice also. The P220 is a nice gun, but I dont think it fits what your thinking about, heck I have one in that lives in my nightstand. The P220 is a work horse, not a splurge.

A nice Rem700CDL with a wood stock and good optics like Zeiss would be a great gun to hand down to family as would a nice O/U 28g shotgun.

I vote M1a, I want one bad, and will have it someday, just not yet.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  11. Bruce M

Bruce M

While I agree that a 1911 may be the best cholce, maybe something like this might do it... View attachment 224703

12. glockdoc21

glockdoc21

I'm not a safe or range queen kind of guy. Every gun I own has had mud on it at some point :wavey: I'm leaning heavily on the m1a at this point, but a 220 would be great for winter carry...

13. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    If you're gonna be hunting with an M-1a, I hope you're tree stand "hunting" because its damn near too heavy to lug around on a regular basis.

14. Berto

Berto woo woo

15. Bomber Nav

Bomber Nav

I would suggest two things:

1. Somthing that is uniquely "you." You will want your kids (or Grandchildren) to hold that weapon and say "This was Dad's (or Grandpa's) gun," and have them think of you and what kind of guy you were. What reflects your personality...AR, 1911, shotgun, etc?

2. Something the fed goverment will least want to come and take away. Someone will try it sometime, become they know that, for example, "Evil black rifles and handguns cause people to become criminals; confiscating them will make everyone safe and secure." At least that's what the non-thinking, liberal, pin-heads think.

Me? In my case it's something like a Browning Citori O/U, or something like that. Classic firearm every generation can appreciate. You can find really nice ones for your price on the used market.

16. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Been there done that, not again.

17. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Thoughts:

1.) If you have never had X or shot X, shoot one before you buy it. I have a 1911 that I rarely shoot. It is fun, but just not as good for me as my G21s. My M1A didn't turn out to the be the end all, be all I expected it to be.
    2.) I tend to think classical for a keep sake. A few years from now the most tactical gun, smallest gun, may be just another gun, but a Colt Peacekeeper will always be a Classical.
    3. I would resist the urge to get an NFA item. I have some. I am in one location, they are in another. It sucks.

18. Ruggles

Ruggles

BHP or 1911 :)

I am so predictable..

I think something, anything with wood & steel is a preferred choice.

19. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

I would personally go with an AR if I were you. Ive got a respectable collection and my M4 with an Aimpoint is my favorite to shoot and have for home defense as well. I own Sigs and a 220 is not my favorite. I prefer cocked and locked, or light double action. A M1A would be a great gun but basically a range queen. So I guess if I were you a damn fine 1911 would be 2nd. So if I were you M4 or 1911! Either would be great to own and then hand down!

20. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Don't buy them some safe-queen sentimental white-elephant that they will have to lug around and store every time they move until they can finally dump it on a future generation.

Buy them something state of the art that they can use and enjoy, something that might not be available in their future, something that might even save a life.

I'd say spend that $1500 on a nice AK with all the accessories, a Glock 17 with multiple mags, and an Ultra-Lite J-frame as a back-up.

Take them shooting, stock up on ammo.:cool:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012