Special Morganton, NC Recap

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Apr 24, 2012.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

With 670 scored entries, this match was the 5th largest in GSSF's 20 year history, but it was only the 3rd largest match in 2012. GSSF is heading for a banner year. I expect GSSF 2012 will shatter the 2011 record of 12, 962 entries. My guess is 15,000+.

Thank you GSSF for providing the numbers.:wavey:

2. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

3. JWK2285

JWK2285

I was an RO at the plates at this match, and have been for the past four years. I want to thank each one of you for coming out and making this all possible. GSSF matches truly are the best matches to work and shoot.
    I recall a young man who was having trouble on the plates on Saturday. He was not familiar with the nomenclature of his weapon, and was slapping the trigger at full release.
    I asked him if he minded if I and the other RO's gave him a few pointers, to which he was very receptive. We explained to him trigger reset and control, and gave a quick, 5-minute lesson on Glock handguns. The young man set up for his third string on the plates, and pinged 6 plates with 6 rounds in appx 8 seconds.
    None of the shooters waiting for their turn were agitated by the extra time taken for the young man, and the young man was extremely pleased with himself as he finished his last string of fire in similar fashion. The other shooters and RO's congratulated the young man on his newly acquired skill as he left the tent.
    THIS is why I work this match every year. The world needs all the responsible, proficient, confident shooters it can get, and that is what GSSF is all about.
    Thanks again to Glock, all the RO's and the shooters.

4. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

That's that mentoring stuff we were talking about on another thread. I RO every GSSF match (and did Morganton on '5' on Sunday) and I'll always take the time to help a struggling shooter - young, or mature. Of course, they have to be receptive... Thanks for taking that extra time.

Hey, welcome to Glock Talk.

5. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

that's just one of the reasons you guys were voted the Best.

6. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

I emailed my friend at the SO and told him about the 33-50% participation increase some of the matches were having and told him we might need to lay in some extra ROs for our October match.

So that we can make sure the ROs know the rules, know the stages and have shot a match, we are doing a couple of practices a month to get them ready and see what set ups let us have the most stages set.

Hopefully we can meet or exceed what Pensacola drew; I use them as a measuring stick because they are only an hour away. I know the SO guys are wanting this to be successful because the proceeds, raffles, etc will benefit the local handicap kids camp and the SO is wantng to bring other shooting disciplines in to their range.

7. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

This is a Morganton thread - go away and post on your Mobile thread! :)

And don't forget, I volunteer to RO for your Mobile match. You know me... Mrs. Warmth and Cheer.

8. PM720

PM720

With these increases I wonder what Conyers will be like this year? Hopefully it will be up by at least 5 entries!

Scott

9. Roadkill_751

Roadkill_751 5 or 6 rounds?

OUCH..... Bama is :crying:

10. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

1st of all: Welcome to GT and the GSSF forum. :wavey:

2nd: Kudos to you, the other ROs and the other GSSF shooters. :thumbsup: I am sure that young man felt much better about his results and grateful for the tips. :cool:

11. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

I am using Morganton as the measuring stick.
    Imitation-flattery, etc...

12. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

...plotting revenge.

13. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Outstanding! :thumbsup:

14. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

One problem I saw was people with a hand full of stickers

placing X's for themselves and others that were Not there and were not ready to shoot.

The X means YOU ARE THERE To SHOOT.

You will then be put in a squad, by the sign in time ,From the people that are there.

15. Hadoken

Hadoken

I actually had a question about something similar lethal. This was my first match but I remember hearing somewhere to go to all stages, place your stickers then go back and place an x where you are ready to wait and begin shooting. What is the advantage of that over placing the first sticker with an x and shooting that stage, then going to the next and placing the sticker and x then shooting that stage and so on? What do you or the ROs gain by placing all stickers first?

I assume if you place all your stickers first then you could be the first shooter present when you are ready for the stage, but it didn't seem to make any difference at morganton. Maybe it was just ran well enough that the waiting wasn't a problem

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  16. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

You are not supposed to place your stickers at all stages at the same time. You should sign the wait list at all stages, that's all. You do not surrender your stickers until after you place a "Ready X" at the stage and the RO calls you up to get your stickers. At that time, your score sheet is placed on one of the boards.

17. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

In theory:tongueout:

18. CUTigers2002

CUTigers2002

And the advantage of putting your name on the list with the time you signed up is that the RO will squad people by the times on the sign-up sheets. So, if the RO is squadding a big group of people at 1 PM, your name is down at 9 AM, and all others are 11 AM or later, you will be the first shooter in that squad. Make sense?

19. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

If a group of 3 shooters arrives in the same car, one can go to Plates, on to 'M, one to 5toG and each could list the names and categories for each shooter.

They meet up at the car, grab the gear and head to the closest stage or the least busy stage by personal preference.

They SHOULDN'T be squadded until they X their names and the RO squads from earliest entry down...again, in theory.

20. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

as I said some people CHEAT and keep the proven system from working fairly.