Glock Talk banner

Speaking of night sights...

2318 9
I was thinking of painting the white ring around my trijicon night sights with a fluorescent green color to get a faster aquisition in the day light. Anybody tried this? I found this pic of someone who painted their sights with it, and it really stands out, so I figured the same would apply even if it's only on the rings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, finally got around to painting the rings around my night sights a different color. The pictures I took make it look like I painted over the tritium vials, but I didn't, they are as bright as ever in the dark. The fluorescent green color is bright indoors, but really pops when you go outside. It is almost as bright as a set of fiber optic sights. I can get my sight picture even quicker now, which is what I wanted all along.

The picture also don't really do the color justice. It is exactly like the color from the other guys photos at the top I posted. I don't know why my camera makes the color look cruddy. I am gonna have to mess around with my camera and see if I can get a few better shots if anybody cares to see them.

· Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sure, I guess. Just mine don't have a white ring anymore. They have a fluorescent green ring now.

*Edit* I think you meant this link, to the "hack" type sets. yes, I wanted something like the hacks, but I didn't like yellow from Trijicon or Red from Ameriglo.

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/special-combinations

Better pics.....

· Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last update, I swear. The pics above are from yesterday. I took the gun outside and the sunlight really demonstrates the brightness of the green now. My camera just couldn't capture the color indoors correctly.

· Registered
191 Posts
Tell us more
name of green glow paint ..and where you bought it ?
method of application ....meaning ..did you use a really fine brush and only paint the rings or did you paint the entire dot and remove the wet paint from the glass dots ?

· Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tell us more
name of green glow paint ..and where you bought it ?
method of application ....meaning ..did you use a really fine brush and only paint the rings or did you paint the entire dot and remove the wet paint from the glass dots ?
Createx Fluorescent green airbrush paint. You should be able to get it at any Michaels art supply store, but I ordered it online, because our Michaels didn't have it. http://www.createxcolors.com/product/airbrushcolors/fluorescent/main.html As you can see, they have a few colors that may be worth trying, but I am partial to green.

Method of applying: I used a very fine, pointed brush, like size 0, and dipped it in the paint. Then let it dry. The airbrush paint has a rubbery nature to it, and once it dries on the brush it makes it like a pliable, sharp toothpick. The reason I did this is because you want a really thin layer of paint. The white behind the green is what makes it glow, so if you use too much, it covers it up and you won't get the same effect.

After the brush is set up, just get a little bit of paint on the end and dab it in the rings. A few dabs should be enough. If you went a little crazy, a paper towel works to remove some paint, just press it into the sight area. It shouldn't take too long to dry. It took me a few times to get it right, and it you want to remove it, a toothpick worked for me. It just grabs the paint and pries it out. Like I said, it's kinda rubbery.

I would dab the sights with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol before you begin, just make sure they are clean. Make sure it is dry before you get started.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.