Glock Talk banner

Speaking about lead bullets...

4K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Smoker 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings,
First off let me say that I do not cast my own lead bullets - I know shame on me :shame: anyway I have in the recent past used bullets by "Stuer's Choice" however they have discontinued their line of LSWC bullets. I have recently run out of my stash of these LSWC's for my 38 special/357 magnum so I have been on the hunt for another source. These lead bullets were fine for punching wholes in paper but still just a bit inconsistent... but they were cheap. Perhaps that falls under the category of "you get what you pay for"?:dunno:

Fred recommended http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=52&category=5&secondary=9&keywords= for my 44 magnum, which I have just place an order for some and anticipate these to be the ticket for my needs there. If so I could be a steady customer, especially for my revolver loads.

Anyway I was wondering - If you are not casting your own, who's lead bullets do you use? and why? Is it price or performance?

just like to hear your thoughts on this.

#5 ·
#8 ·
I like TwoAlpha as well for plinkers if I am not casting my own.

#9 ·
I'm just looking at 9mm and made a Google Docs spreadsheet you can look at using these vendors.

Hunters Supply and Rim Rock both wanted me to create an account and login which I just wasn't going to do.

In 115 MBC is the cheapest by getting to as low as $0.0640 per with 6000 shipped. Although even if you just do 500 they are still pretty cheap at $0.0655 per.

In 124/125 ZCast is $0.0552 per starting at 2500 shipped.

In 147 ZCast is $0.0585 per starting at 2000 shipped.

-Mike

#10 ·
I'm just looking at 9mm and made a Google Docs spreadsheet you can look at using these vendors.

Hunters Supply and Rim Rock both wanted me to create an account and login which I just wasn't going to do.

In 115 MBC is the cheapest by getting to as low as $0.0640 per with 6000 shipped. Although even if you just do 500 they are still pretty cheap at $0.0655 per.

In 124/125 ZCast is $0.0552 per starting at 2500 shipped.

In 147 ZCast is $0.0585 per starting at 2000 shipped.

-Mike
I was starting to like Zcast but their shipping is more than Two Alpha.

#13 ·
#14 ·
#17 ·
Rich22,

Do a search in this forum on Glocks & lead ammo and you'll find many threads on this subject. I have only shot about 200 rounds or so through my G21 (no issues) but that is hardly something to say "it is totally safe."

Colorado4wheel has most likely the best advise; "You won't know till try them in your barrel."

Let us know how it works for you.

#18 · (Edited)
Anyway I was wondering - If you are not casting your own, who's lead bullets do you use? and why? Is it price or performance?
I did the same search as you a few months ago. Missouri Bullet Co. is always mentioned, and nearly always highly recommended.

I like the fact Missouri Bullet Co offers a wide range of choices, even within specific caliber projectiles. Orders ship on time, no lengthy waits. Pricing is competitive.

My experience with their 115gr. 9mm LRN, 158gr .357 LSWC, and 230gr. .45 ACP LRN is positive. If I do my job right, the projectiles do their job.

I'm trying out some Bear Creek 230gr Moly coated .45 ACP LRN's. They're ok so far. Less smokey than a lubed cast projectile. I'm still on the fence on them. Moly is hygroscopic & needs to be cleaned out after every range trip. I've noticed that it takes a little longer to clean the bore after using moly projectiles.

If I leave some moly behind in the bore, there is a possibility of rust due to moly being hygroscopic. I don't have that same worry when shooting a regular lead hard cast projectile.

EDIT TO ADD:

I don't own any firearms with a polygonal rifled barrel. The generally accepted rule is not to fire non-jacked ammo from a polygonal rifled barrel. If you do, lead build up will lead to a catastrophic failure.

Some individuals fire non-jacketed ammo through a polygonal rifled barrel and claim that there is no problem.

#19 · (Edited)
Yup, them's the ones.

They are soft, so they're not for velocities over 1,000 fps.

In general you want a lead bullet equal to to your groove diameter or .001" larger. Softer bullets for low pressures/velocities, harder bullets for higher pressures/velocities.

I like to target shoot at 50 yards and beyond with my .357's so for me it's all about accuracy, price is secondary.

My main load is the Hornady 158 LSWC over 5 grains of Universal. My light load is the Hornady 140 LFP over 3.5 grains Clays.

#20 ·
I have been shooting lead bullets in my 17, 26, and 21 for some time now with no issues at all...after 2-3 hundred the stock barrels look dirty but after a dozen strokes of the bronze brush and Shooters Choice lead remover followed by a clean patch,,spotless clean barrels...no problem...My bullets are from Renegade bullets in Boerne, TX...830-446-2123...$35 for 500 .45's...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.