close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spatter from the GSSF plate rack fix???

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyII, Aug 14, 2011.

1. DannyII

DannyII

At all three matches I attended this year, I was hit by spatter from someone hitting the rack instead of the plates. Any one else experience this?

I also saw a RO at each match bleeding pretty badly from a jacket that came back at them. At Brighton, a RO took a jacket/bullet piece to the arm that imbedded in there. At Dayton, a RO got hit in the shin and blood was everywhere on his leg below that.

I don't want to be one to complain without offer at least my ideas for a solution. So, I'm thinking just one additional piece of 8" high x 6' wide steel needs to be welded onto the rack running lengthwise across the horizontal frame just below the rack to the vertical frame below the rack. That way, bullets, and jackets would at least be deflected down. From what I can tell, it would be about a 30-40 degree angle. As it is now, the vertical piece is 90 degrees to the ground. Thus, the spatter problem.

Other than better shooting on our part, I can't see a better solution. The racks would weigh more, but they'd be a heck of a lot safer. I'm sure that getting "shot" at a match turns off new GSSF shooters.

I know that my wife is never happy when I tell her I was "hit" at a match. :buttercup:

2. SARDG

SARDG

Well, some of those racks (for the close-to-Georgia matches) are GSSF's and all the rest of them I believe belong to the ranges. Even the GSSF-supplied racks would likely get pretty heavy unless you bolted on the extra steel in place. Other ranges aren't going to do it.

I was bleeding profusely :) at Reevesville from an embedded jacket, but the medic dismissed it. I did too; didn't even mention it to him until people kept pestering me.

I just posted about this in General Glocking. When I RO a Steel match I'm subjected to roughly a minimum of 1600 rounds, perhaps to 3000+ rounds in a 3 hour match. This is counting the stage I RO and the Stage(s) on either side. Some of these are going to come back to the line.

Long pants and shirts help - but who wears those in this weather. Bullets lose a lot of energy after they hit steel, but lead ricochets and jackets still hurt. All I can say is make certain your eye protection is on.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

the rack at Brighton belongs to the range and isn't in the best condition. splatter isn't limited to bullets hitting the rack and not the plates. when plates get cupped or dimpled splatter tends to increase. having a deflector on the leading edge most likely would help, but i don't think would eliminate splatter 100%.

i have a steel 5TG set up and have never been hit with splatter and the targets are more or less plumb.

4. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

Sounds like a good solution. I can't believe the racks aren't manufactured to prevent splatter.

5. ede

ede Bama's Friend

shooting DP caps and bunny fart loads contributes a good bit to splatter.

6. mike g35

mike g35

:rofl:I do believe the man said "bunny fart loads". Nice one Ed:rofl:. But seriously my father was watching all of us shoot the plates on saturday and he saw the spatter coming back at us off the rack. So did I by the way. It doesn't bother me but my father was a little concerned and it took some serious talking to make him realize it was safe to do. So you are right coach, the spatter does freak out some new shooters.

7. jdwatson

jdwatson

We could go "frangible", that would help no ?

8. DannyII

DannyII

Oh, great, now I'm thinking about frangible bunny farts! :rofl:

9. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

10. jdwatson

jdwatson

Too funny !! :rofl:

11. mikey357

mikey357 CLM

Does that "Bunny Fart" have enough VELOCITY to knock over a Plate???...and, how do you calculate the "Power Factor" for one of those???...Just wonderin'....mikey357

12. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

Don't know the power factor but my "bunny fart" for a 9mm is a 147 gr Berrys over 3.1 gr Titegroup with mixed brass and/or primers. Never failed yet.