Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m curious how many folks that have purchased personal armor, have selected Spartan over AR500?

I’m personally leaning towards spartan over AR, and my plans are to have the carrier in my edc bag in case I ever need it.

My wife and I both work in education, and this might not be as stupid of a purchase as some think.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,665 Posts
I’m curious how many folks that have purchased personal armor, have selected Spartan over AR500?

I’m personally leaning towards spartan over AR, and my plans are to have the carrier in my edc bag in case I ever need it.

My wife and I both work in education, and this might not be as stupid of a purchase as some think.

I've got AR500 Rimelig 3A soft plates in a Grey Ghost minimalist carrier. I've got a set of their 3 and 3A hard plates in their slick side carriers.

You aren't going to be sporting hard plate armor in public or likely lugging it around. It's heavy and cumbersome. Fine for a static position.

Soft armor on the other hand is far more doable. It's light and the bulk comforms better to the body. A soft plate could be hidden in a backpack, briefcase or satchel and work well enough as a defensive shield and it's often marketed as such.

The downside is that it doesn't stop rifle rounds. Only Level 3 plates and beyond will do that.

For your situation soft armor is far more practical and you will be far more likely to carry it and have it when you need it.

It doesn't matter what name brand you choose as long as it's NIJ certified to do it's job, you can pick your favorite logo or buy based on price. It just won't matter.

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
What is the threat you want the armor protection from. Soft body armor is mainly good against handgun rounds. Hard plates work on both but are extremely heavy or bulky compared to soft armor.

Do you plan on wearing it concealed?

There are a lot of choices beyond those two companies.

Or by one of the polyethylene level three plates in a backpack configuration. It will stop some rifle rounds but it’s a little thick.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,665 Posts
What is the threat you want the armor protection from. Soft body armor is mainly good against handgun rounds. Hard plates work on both but are extremely heavy or bulky compared to soft armor.

Do you plan on wearing it concealed?

There are a lot of choices beyond those two companies.

Or by one of the polyethylene level three plates in a backpack configuration. It will stop some rifle rounds but it’s a little thick
They are spendy too and have a shelf life. They don't do well exposed to UV either.

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
They are spendy too and have a shelf life. They don't do well exposed to UV either.
Before my current health issue, I picked up some steel plates because of the low price and the lack of maintenance/ expiration dates. Too heavy now but I intended more as a in the trunk of the car kind of thing. My plan for them now is just to put each plate behind the rear passenger seats in the SHTF event to protect my kids from shots from the rear and engine block to protect us from the front .
As far as active shooter, I was still active when the NYPD issued ceramic armor plates to each patrol car. And wore the ESU “heavy “ vest before that.

It’s too heavy for EDC. Soft body armor is more EDC friendly and addressees the more likely threat of a handgun or shotgun.

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
And another suggestion. Because of the usual anti-gun/anti-preparedness environment of schools, I would not have traditional body armor if were a school teacher. A backpack with a Kevlar panel is less noticeable and less likely to get the ridicule of your co-workers or involvement of the higher administration.
Imagine if one person goes “Buckeye is bringing a bulletproof vest to school, is he the next school shooter?”

Improvised or dual use items is your best way to prepare. A 50 cent door stop to “lock “ or “brace” the door doesn’t set off the “liberal” alarm bells.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,665 Posts
And another suggestion. Because of the usual anti-gun/anti-preparedness environment of schools, I would not have traditional body armor if were a school teacher. A backpack with a Kevlar panel is less noticeable and less likely to get the ridicule of your co-workers or involvement of the higher administration.
Imagine if one person goes “Buckeye is bringing a bulletproof vest to school, is he the next school shooter?”

Improvised or dual use items is your best way to prepare. A 50 cent door stop to “lock “ or “brace” the door doesn’t set off the “liberal” alarm bells.

Yep, one of my previous suggestions. Plenty of backpack or bag style panels available that no one would ever even blink at.

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
Yep, one of my previous suggestions. Plenty of backpack one would ever even blink at.
Yeah, you are right . I’m just reminding some of the political situation he faces. And it gives hints for others in a similar situation.
For example, some have heard of the Carharett jacket stopping bullets myth. What isn’t widely known that the perpetrator was carrying a book bag with thick books under the jacket. The Books stopped the 9mm 124 grain +p gold dot rounds. A book bag with books wouldn’t cause an uproar in a school.

Knowing the location of the fire extinguishers and grabbing one during an active shooter situation, is a plus. The discharge can make a good smoke screen to conceal your or other people’s movements from the shooter.
Improvised is the key to a politically correct preparation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got AR500 Rimelig 3A soft plates in a Grey Ghost minimalist carrier. I've got a set of their 3 and 3A hard plates in their slick side carriers.

You aren't going to be sporting hard plate armor in public or likely lugging it around. It's heavy and cumbersome. Fine for a static position.

Soft armor on the other hand is far more doable. It's light and the bulk comforms better to the body. A soft plate could be hidden in a backpack, briefcase or satchel and work well enough as a defensive shield and it's often marketed as such.

The downside is that it doesn't stop rifle rounds. Only Level 3 plates and beyond will do that.

For your situation soft armor is far more practical and you will be far more likely to carry it and have it when you need it.

It doesn't matter what name brand you choose as long as it's NIJ certified to do it's job, you can pick your favorite logo or buy based on price. It just won't matter.
Hay @BuckeyeGlock77 can you help me out which vest is better for CrossFit workout. I just saw a bunch of vest here bestplatecarriers.com. but i am confused which should i have to select.

·
Registered
12,999 Posts
All depends. Real story. BG was carrying a shotgun and wearing a heavy leather jacket. My guy engaged with a .38 special. He could see the puffs of dust as the rounds hit. BG dropped shotgun and ran.

Body armor. I own it. Don't plan on gaining any weight and wearing in the future that which you now purchase.

If you decide to wear the body armor, wear it every time you go to the range.
1. You will eventually see someone shoot someone else accidentally or shoot himself. Have seen it.
2. You will experience in relaxed conditions at the range, the awkwardness, impeding and tiring experience of wearing body armor. You will rethink tactics and your endurance for when shtf.

I don't plan on standing up and letting someone shoot at me. I plan on using situational awareness, concealment. When shtf, the chances of most people just standing there is remote. They will be sticking their heads up, looking around. So take care of getting the head covering first and use Oregon Aero to modify the head gear to your satisfaction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts