close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spare Rib Recipes?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Santa CruZin, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Santa CruZin

Santa CruZin RIP Mr. Mayor

I have never attempted to prepare spare ribs on my own. I've heard people talk about boiling them before grilling, and others say to do so is blasphemy.

I want to take a shot at a rack, and I'm fishing for your best, tried and true recipe. Gimme one that you've done many times, and have blown your guests away with. I have an electric stove and oven, and a propane Weber grill.

I like spare ribs tender, and finger-lickin' good!

2. failsafe

failsafe

Well first of all a propane grill would not be my first choice...
    Using my trusty Webber grill, equipped with Charcoal and chunks of apple wood, I normally just marinate ribs with an Italian dressing( thick such as Ott's)..Place the briquettes on two sides, with a container of water in the middle, add the apple wood, and place the slab of ribs in the middle....Slow cook for 3 to 4 hrs...and the ribs will fall off the bone.....

I have heard that on gas grills, about the next best thing is to spray the meat periodicaly with apple juice...

3. AAshooter

AAshooter

4. Santa CruZin

Unfortunately, I don't have a smoker or a briquette grill. One problem with the gas grill, it's difficult to maintain lower temperatures.

5. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Two things... Yawanna get grill flavor and you want tenderness...

What I'm about to suggest will get you great, delicious, results...

Oil down the grill grates...
    Season the slab with a decent seasoning rub and toss them on a hot grill... Close the lid...
    That'll get a lot of smoke going in there and the meat will be surrounded with it...
    The lid being closed will help reduce fire flare...

Get some good dark, crispy color on the ribs and then flip them over till there's color there too...
    That whole procedure shouldn't take more than 25 minutes +/-...
    Check that they don't get burned, but keep the lid closed...

Now, take them out, wrap them in foil and put them in the oven at 275 degrees for a couple hours...
    That'll get them tenda...

Remove, let rest for 5-7 in the foil, then slice em' up...

;c

6. Santa CruZin

Thanks Bill, but "oil down the grill plates"? When I baste other stuff (kebobs, for example) with oil, I get flares wherever I put the stuff. Are you just talking about regular Olive Oil?

When you say "hot grill", you mean like tree fiddy?

Can a "decent seasoning rub" be found on the shelf, or do I need to concoct something?

7. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Usually, right before putting the stuff on the hot grill, the pros (food network)
    will take a tight ball of paper towel dipped in olive or canola and rub it on the grates so the food won't stick there...
    Just a wipe, nothing drippy...
    Helps with clean-up later too...

A hot grill is just a temp that will crispy brown the meat kinda quickly, like 15 minutes per side...
    The inside might not be cooked thoroughly tho... That'll finish up in the oven...

You can try a store bought spice rub first or you can always Google a million easy to prepare blends and concoctions...

;c

8. K.C. Dia

K.C. Dia

Ribs are tough to do on a home grill. One of the most important things are the ribs themselfes. The best ribs are babyback ribs, they are not cut from baby hogs but are the ribs closest to the spine of the hog. They are the most tender. Try to get them fresh, but they are usually available frozen. Don't boil, that only makes them slimy! Put a good rub on them, a mixture of equal parts salt, cumin, ground corendar, and chili powder is good, I avoid adding brown sugar as some suggest. Put them on the top layer of your Weber grill, skin side up and brown for about 10 -15 minutes, watch them carefully as flareups can occur quickly. The wrap them in tin foil and turn the flame down as low as possible. Check in about an hour. They are done when they pull off the bone easily. After taking them out of the tin foil, you can put them back directly on the grill for a couple of minutes if they need any further browning. Good luck, it may take several tries to get them right.

9. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Rub the ribs with salt and pepper.

Take some wood chunks, soak in water.

Wrap the wood in foil, leave a small hole.

I wrap around my finger to make the hole.

Place the foil on the burner.

If you have two burners turn one off, the other on low.

Put the ribs on the grate(wiped with oil) over the one (burner) that is off.

Mix some vinegar and water (a spray bottle helps),spritz the ribs often to keep them moist.

As stated, cook low and slow till tender.

When tender, baste with any sauce you like; let dry,( on the grill) turn, repeat several times.

I usually add honey or brown sugar and hot sauce to the bottle of bought sauce if I don't want to make my own.

If you want to use the oven, 500 degrees for 1/2 hour.

Take out brush with a little sauce diluted with some beer.

Wrap with foil, oven down to 250 about 2 hours.

Un-wrap, brush with sauce, broil til it drys.

Flip, repeat several times.

Good luck.