Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to give my Gen 4 23 a thorough cleaning and took the striker out disassemble and clean it too. While reassembling the striker, I pushed the string down to put the Spring Cups back in place e and the spring slipped and both spring cups.went flying across the room. Found both but it took quite a bit of drawing around searching on the floor.

After finding both, I figured it may be a good idea to keep a spare set on hand so will probably order some. Are there any other parts you can think of that would be a good idea to keep a spare of due to ease of loss or could suddenly break?

·
Registered
455 Posts
All three Pins, the Striker Cups and all three lower springs. I also recommend the Glock tool plus the nut driver for the Forward Sight along with the screw that holds the sight itself. A Good flashlight (150 +Lums)helps old tired eyes too. YMMV

·
Registered
609 Posts
All three Pins, the Striker Cups and all three lower springs. I also recommend the Glock tool plus the nut driver for the Forward Sight along with the screw that holds the sight itself. A Good flashlight (150 +Lums)helps old tired eyes too. YMMV
I would add to that a couple of extra spring-loaded bearings. They are tinny and can get lost right in front of you. The spring cups are, by far, the easiest things to get away from you. I would get more than one pair. For what it's worth, I typically disassemble the firing pin spring in a gallon freezer bag so if things slip out of my fingers, everything stays contained in the bag.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
Only part I've had fail to make pistol not fire or function was a striker spring. Now I take a spare pistol with me if I can. As for parts I think I have all the internal parts except maybe barrels. They're cheap and over time you'll get a collection. I keep allen wrench set, punch, bushing wrench, few screw drivers in my bag that takes care of the majority of my needs and a small tool bag with sight pusher, hammer, more screw drivers, towels, etc, in the truck.

·
NRA Life Member
66,996 Posts
I have a big box with several of every part for my Glocks except slides, frames and barrels. The only part I have ever needed, in about 23ish years of owning Glocks is a spring cup, because I lost one during cleaning, the same way the OP did.

·
Registered
59,812 Posts
I wonder if the chances of some part failing or being lost are inversely proportion to having an extra one on hand?

·
I'm your huckleberry....
18,108 Posts
An extra set of springs (available in a kit form) is helpful. You have extras plus you can change the springs at a certain interval if you choose to do so then just get another spring kit to keep on hand.

The springs cups (as already mentioned) and any other small, easily lost/misplaced part is good.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would add to that a couple of extra spring-loaded bearings. They are tinny and can get lost right in front of you. The spring cups are, by far, the easiest things to get away from you. I would get more than one pair. For what it's worth, I typically disassemble the firing pin spring in a gallon freezer bag so if things slip out of my fingers, everything stays contained in the bag.
I really like the idea of the gallon freezer bag. When you say Spring Loaded Bearing, is that the part that hold the extractor in place?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I shoot my Glock 34 in IDPA, so if something happens to the gun I need to be able to get it going again quickly. Over a period of several months (to spread the cost out) I purchased at least one of every part in my gun, with the exception of the frame, barrel and slide. The only actual failure I've ever had is an extractor; it looked like the original extractor had a tiny extra piece of metal in the groove that catches on the shell case. Replacing it fixed the problem.

Most of the items are available as kits. I purchased the striker already assembled with the spring, plastic guide, and cups. Same with the trigger/trigger bar, and the ejector assembly. That way if I have a problem during a match, I can have the gun running again in minutes. Every item has been installed in the gun and test fired to make sure that it fits.

If you are not using the gun in competition, this level of reliability may not be for you. However, if you make a trip to the range and the gun fails because of some small part, how much is it worth to be able to get going in a few minutes as opposed to fighting with tiny little parts on a dirty table, in the wind, etc.

Something to consider....

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Don't get too confident about "Spare gun as spare parts", it doesn't work in real life.

Let's say the most likely Glock "Failure" is firing pin spring cups, due to loss.

Person A has a Glock and six pairs of cups. Investment, $540. Person B has two Glocks. Investment, $1040.

Let's say you're a klutz and every 20th time you disassemble, you lose a pair of spring cups.

Person A has a functioning Glock through their 160th disassembly. Person B has a functioning Glock through their 40th, even though they have twice as much invested.

"Extra one in lieu of spare parts" seldom works as well as spare parts. Situation would be the same if we were talking about a gun that might break a firing pin every 10,000 rounds. Two guns, 20,000 rounds. One gun and four spare firing pins, 50,000 rounds.

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,516 Posts
I only use Glocks for competition, and always bring a spare gun or 2 with me. I'm an Armorer and stock about $2K worth of parts, but have NEVER lost a part. I shoot GSSF, so have never replaced a part out of my stock as I go whine to the Factory Armorer at a match if I need any personal planned-maintenance parts. Never had anything break in my guns, either.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I really like the idea of the gallon freezer bag. When you say Spring Loaded Bearing, is that the part that hold the extractor in place?
It's a small piece of plastic that fits in the end of the extractor depressor plunger spring. It fits against the slide cover plate.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I have a few of every part in a Glock, except slide and frame, but I have spare Glocks for that :cool:. I am pretty sure that I will never need all those parts. I just like knowing that I have a well stocked Glock parts kit.

I think the most important parts people should have who like to have spare parts on hand are:

-Recoil spring assembly
-slide lock + slide lock spring
-trigger spring
-extractor
-firing pin + spring (firing pin spring is not really necessary, but it doesn't hurt to have one)
-firing pin spring cups
-magazine spring/spare mags

·
Not a golfer
432 Posts
I only use Glocks for competition, and always bring a spare gun or 2 with me. I'm an Armorer and stock about $2K worth of parts, but have NEVER lost a part. I shoot GSSF, so have never replaced a part out of my stock as I go whine to the Factory Armorer at a match if I need any personal planned-maintenance parts. Never had anything break in my guns, either.
Thank you. :)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Brent,

In my tiny little mind, the actual answer to you question is which part could break and still keep you happy? Pretty much every part in there is needed, isn't it? Loosing or breaking one is very possible. Likely? No, of course not. But it's more the risk than the odds to me.

I was at the range one day with a friend. He was shooting his G23 and a case head blew, blowing his extractor to who knows where. Never did find it.

The look in his eyes was great. The G23 was his carry gun and he had no spare parts or gun.

We went to my house and I fixed him up but he learned a lesson he's never forgotten.

Cat

·
Banned
15,725 Posts
I guess that I have none, having only one Glock, a G17.
I shoot a G17 in IDPA.... I carry 3 17s in the truck. Not a good thing to drive 100 miles to shoot a big match and break a trigger return spring when cycling the only gun you brought in the safe area. For some reason no one had one. So I now carry a couple of extra identical 17s... I can change guns easier than repairing one at the match.

Doc44

1 - 20 of 22 Posts