close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SpamBayes

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by gwalchmai, Aug 19, 2004.

1. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I installed SpamBayes for Outlook this morning, and I must say I am impressed. So far today it's filtered 372 spams, with about 40 of them "questionable", and no false positives. I already had about 900 known spams and 1200 known "hams" to train it on. I had just about decided to give up on Outlook and go to Thunderbird exclusively, but this lets me keep all my work stuff on Outlook.

I get a lot of spam because I have several domains registered to my address, and I buy a lot of stuff online with the receipts coming back to it. I know I could use tricks to avoid the spam but it's a PITA.

2. ronin_asano

ronin_asano

if you have tbird, why is it you need outlook? the junk controls in tbird are top notch.

3. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

The main reason is that my users already know how to use Outlook. Training costs a lot, even if the users want to switch, which they don't. Why impose those costs and ill will on employees? Teaching a small subset of users SpamBayes is dirt cheap compared to converting a whole organization.

4. ronin_asano

ronin_asano

security?

i don't see that using one email client is really any different than using another.

and tbird is certainly not difficult to use.

5. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I really don't think you know what you're talking about, but thanks for the feedback. ;Q

6. gudel

gudel

we use brightmail for filtering out spam in our outlook server at work. seems to work pretty good.
    interestingly, to date, i have received zero spam for the last four years. I don't use the brightmail addon myself, i just let other people at work use it :cool:
    but at home, i can be receiving 400+ spams in a week, including on email account that is never used. :(

ronin_asano, try working in a large corporation. let you see manage to convert everyone to tbird or whatever it is that you always tell people to switch.

7. plato

plato softie

8. ronin_asano

ronin_asano

is ibm large enough for you?

9. ronin_asano

ronin_asano

you're right, i just do this for a living.

10. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Really? Ever hear of considering the client's needs as opposed to trying to shoehorn your solution into the problem?

You see, the problem is not what email client to use, that's already been decided. The problem is how to provide spam filtering for Outlook.

Then again, IBM sounds about right for that kind of mentality. ;f

11. ronin_asano

ronin_asano

i understand where you are coming from. we are stuck on lotus notes, for no other reason than ibm owns it.

you asked what a reason might be to switch from outlook to tbird, i offered security as one.

as for training people on a new app, i stand by what i said about email clients. i don't find that one is any more difficult to use than another, maybe that's just me.

12. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Fair enough. I have only a passing familiarity with Notes, but I suspect that, like Outlook, it's more than just an email client. My users really like OL's Calendar, Contacts, Journal (really!), and Notes features. They have all these features in one place and are used to using it that way. Most of them are not computing professionals. A changeover would require them learning three or four new programs, as well as their integration (and converting existing work). There would be significant costs in selecting these programs, not to mention training the users. During this transition the users would suffer a significant reduction in their productivity (i.e., more costs).

I agree OL has problems, but we are used to working around them and the alternatives are not (for us anyway) worth the costs, and installing and configuring SpamBayes takes very little time, and its spam training doesn't disrupt the user.

BTW, you'd be hard pressed to find a less enthusiastic supporter of either M$ or IBM, but the reality of the market cannot be denied. And don't get me started on AutoDesk.

13. ronin_asano

ronin_asano

heh.

as bad as notes is, it has made some significant improvements since we moved to version 6, and the version 6 template was deployed. now we can actually send true plain text 'internet style' emails, even internally. before, all the internal mail was forced to bloated html format.

and yes, you are right, notes is much more than email. it has the contact management, and it also allows us to access various databases we need for our jobs. you can created databases with it too. it is very robust and powerful, i don't know of any other single integrated app that does all that it can.

that said, notes is the most unituitive, clunky, aggravating piece of software you will ever use. i hope you never have to deploy or use it.

i'm also amazed at how ibm owns lotus, but we are still on 6.0 when the rest of the notes world (including ibm corporate customers) are using the even more advanced notes 6.5.