close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spam e-mail from your own e-mail address, WTF?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Zoolander, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Zoolander

Zoolander Castrated

I am getting spam e-mail from some clown that is using my exact e-mail address.

How does that happen?

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Either you've been Spoofed, or, more likely, your machine is infected with a spambot.

The thing to do is just run all the possible Trojan/Worm/Virus/Spyware scanners and hope for the best.

3. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Someone is spoofing your address probably. Check the "Received: from [...]" lines in the headers. They will most likely point to some unknown machine masquarading as you. This is very common.

Like fastvfr said, it could also be something nasty on your own machine, but check the headers first.

4. Zoolander

Zoolander Castrated

You people are my sunshine.

;c

5. Coltman2003

Coltman2003

What was the outcome?

6. Toyman

Toyman

Many e-mail viri will use one of the e-mail addresses in a persons address book or received messages (inbox) and send e-mails appearing to be from that address.

Basically, with SMTP e-mail (standard internet e-mail), a message can be sent with any address as the from and reply to address, this allows you to send an e-mail, but have the return address be something different. There is no enforcement of an address being what it is really being sent from.

7. Skyhook

Skyhook

I had exactly this problem on two occasions about a month back. Shocked the 'H' out of me. (Noted it here, btw.)
    Anyhow, I ran all the protection devices and it has not happened since. I can't remember any precise mentioning by those worm/virii, etc ferrets as to any particular violator(s), though.