Sp101 / similar size 357 for woods carry

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by dieselguy, Aug 21, 2005.

1. dieselguy

dieselguy

any one here carry a 357 sp101 or similar sized revolver on their backwoods adventures? What holsters/ methods of carry do you prefer when back packing? I was thinking about picking up a safe packer from the wilderness for this.

would you feel comfortable carrying a 357 loaded w/ buffalo bore 200 gr. HC rounds in the off chance that you met with a black bear that didn't run a way?

Thanks

2. HKMark23

HKMark23 Millennium Member

Your gonna get some folks that will say no, but the .357 has easily taken every mamal in North America, do your part and it will take care of you.

3. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

I would carry either the Buffalo Bore 180 cast or the Federal 180 cast for woods walking. The Buffalo Bore is a great choice. It is pretty hot and will penetrate. You may want to try a pair of Hogue Monogrips to help with the recoil when shooting these heavy loads. As far as holsters the Uncle Mikes works fine for me. The nice thing about the SP101 is it is plenty strong enough for the heavy loads.

4. commander

commander

I know the .357 mag is plenty powerful enough for most animals but I'm just wondering what would be better, 5 rounds of .357 mag. or 10 rounds of .40, .45 or better yet 10mm?
    I don't think you'd have time for a speedloader if something was trying to eat you. Probably not enough time for a magazine change either.
    So 5 stout hunting loads vs 10 not-so-stout loads? Just thinking out load. Carry on.

5. wade farley

wade farley Sonic 357 sig

:cool: I carry a Security Six with a 4 inch barrel. I have it loaded with 180gr bullets. I use it for back packing and Hunting as my side arm. If I was back packing/Hunting in Alaska I would probably carry my 454 Casull for my sidearm, but for the most part a 357 is more than adequate as a sidearm in the woods. Have fun & stay safe! Also, when I'm on the eastern slopes of the Cascades during the Summer, I carry "Snake Shot" in the first two chambers.;f

6. mikedb

mikedb

I carry a SP101 or GP100 for a woods gun. If I expect bears I would go with the hard casts or Nosler partitions. If it was more for mountain lions, dogs and scum, I would use a 158 hp.