Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably applicable to any brand with fixed sights but, I have a Ruger SP101 that shoots at 7-10 yards about 2-3 inches to the left. It seems pretty consistent so, I know it's not me. Since there is no adjustable sights, how can you move that POI to the right to compensate? The barrel is not canted and I know of no way except to aim a bit more to the right, which to me would be a bummer.

·
Super Moderator
19,974 Posts
I have a fixed-sight Ruger GP-100 that originally had a similar problem. I bought a spare front sight from the fine folks at Brownell's, and ever so carefully filed a small amount off the right side, ABOVE the part that fits into the slot in the barrel (only file the part you can see). I touched-up the filed area with cold blue when I was done, and it has been working fine for several years now. It had the added bonus of making the front sight easier to see for my aging eyes (more light on either side of the slightly thinner sight blade).

You could probably have a local gunsmith do the same thing to your existing front sight. Just don't let them thin the entire sight, or it will be a loose fit in the mounting slot.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Funny, mine did the same thing when new. After several months, it is right on. Every gun handles differently, grips are different, etc.--my problem was one of simply needing to get used to how the 101 handled. If it shoots to the left from a solid rest and shoots to the left for another experienced shooter, a fix might be called for. Before you do anything drastic--like filing the sight, make sure you don't just need more range time.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It shouldn't shoot any different three months down the road than it does now but, stranger things have happened. I wish I had a Ranson rest to try it with but, no such luck. I don't care for the idea of filing down the sight-must be a better way.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I think the previous post was intended to say that it may be the shooter causing it to shoot left.

After shooting it for a couple months ... you may find that it shoots right at the target.

Try shooting it left handed in single action mode and see if it goes left or right. A rest would help.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Befor you alter anything, have somebody else shoot it. Preferably someone experienced with a revolver. Maybe a RO? Make sure its the gun and not you. Even though its consistent, doesnt mean you are not consistently not shooting it right.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I didn't intend to suggest it was a shooter issue, Elijah. Rather, I think sometimes it takes a particular weapon and shooter time to mesh. With my 101 I spent a lot of time figuring out a grip for the small revolver. I had trouble getting my thumbs comfortably placed and found the reach to the trigger to be quite short for me (so finger positioning on the trigger was an issue). As I recall, an online video by Jerry Muselik helped with hand/thumb positioning and bringing hits to what I thought was my POA. Anyhow, don't give up on the gun and sights too quickly.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Befor you alter anything, have somebody else shoot it. Preferably someone experienced with a revolver. Maybe a RO? Make sure its the gun and not you. Even though its consistent, doesnt mean you are not consistently not shooting it right.
Good idea. At the range, everyone seems to be so caught up with their own shooting I hate to ask. Most out there(save a precious few I see now and then) are all auto type.

I didn't intend to suggest it was a shooter issue, Elijah. Rather, I think sometimes it takes a particular weapon and shooter time to mesh. With my 101 I spent a lot of time figuring out a grip for the small revolver. I had trouble getting my thumbs comfortably placed and found the reach to the trigger to be quite short for me (so finger positioning on the trigger was an issue). As I recall, an online video by Jerry Muselik helped with hand/thumb positioning and bringing hits to what I thought was my POA. Anyhow, don't give up on the gun and sights too quickly.
It could very well be, though.:) I'm not above correction that's for sure. It has been many moons since I've fired a revolver until recently and I've never had one so small with such thin grips before. I won't discount the shooter but if it is me, then I'm doing something most consistently. No, I'm not touching the sights as yet. Just trying to figure out why it's shooting a bit high and left. I suppose by it shooting high with the heavier 158 gr LSWC that is just a physics thing. The 125 gr JHP's I've used with 17 gr of 2400 shoot more where I am as for elevation but still left.

·
Registered
767 Posts
It's probably just you. The fact that you consistently shoot it in the same place certainly does not mean it's not you. I deal with people who's gun is shooting to the left almost constantly and have only seen 1 or 2 that actually did fire to the left when I benched it carefully, it is almost always the shooter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts