close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Southland + Cop talk = Coincidence?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by uncbear4, Mar 16, 2010.

1. uncbear4

uncbear4

Just finished watching the newest episode of Southland and noticed a couple of lines out of the show, almost identical, to posts I've seen here recently (within a few weeks).

Example:

In regards to a suspects hands:

"Always watch their hands."

In regards to giving a command:

"Ask, tell, make."

Maybe there a few screen writers lurking around...

Anyone else notice this?

Regards,

Bear

2. ghstface38

ghstface38 Five-O

I doubt it, those phrases have been around LE a long time.

I can't count the number of times I've heard them, even before SouthLAnd.

3. SAR

SAR CLM

Probably not here, but they hang around my workplace and a few of the guys at work stand in as extras and also as technical advisors. A lot of people won't notice this, but they use a lot of LAPD specific jargon also....

4. Pepper45

Pepper45

Tonight's episode was very good. Put more into the patrol side of things.

As to the statements, I've heard them for many years, they're standards around here.

5. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

I really like Southland, tonights episode was great. Its better and more accurate than most cop shows.

For two guys who arent cops, they do a decent job acting like ones. :dunno:

BTW what do the other LEOs here think of this show?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  6. pulaskipusher

pulaskipusher Topodaworldma!

I have seen and liked the show. Wish I could watxh it more often.

Those phrases are standard issue to all FTOs and POST instructors. Sounds like they actualy studied LE before doing a show on it. Weird.

7. SAR

SAR CLM

So I'm watching it right now and I thought it was pretty good... "You're working the kitroom," "you're working the U-Boat." What every P-2 hates working is the kitroom. What every phase-III probationer aspires to work is the U-Boat. Nice.

8. Gangrel

Gangrel

What the heck is with the way they wear their radios (wrapped around their lower body and attached to the shirt)?

I tried it the other day. It was kinda annoying and resulted in the cord crossing over the breast pocket a bit, which I didn't like.

9. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

The one thing that is great is they use plain talk (wants and warrants) and some specifics like the Code 6 Charles, but it kills me when I watch a show about the LAPD and then hear someone putting out a 10-6 or other 10 codes. (SWAT the movie is a bad offender)

As for SouthLAnd and the jargon, none of it is new. They also have a lot of old salts from LAPD helping out with the script. I was on the show, I played that guy from last season, episode 5, partway through that scene in the city, standing with that suspect guy, and the background with the cops, in LA. Yeah, that was me.

10. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Do you prefer the other way they wear it with the radio cord going across the back diagonally and clipped on the epaulette or lapel?

We call that the "choke a cop".

11. Gangrel

Gangrel

Yeah, kinda... I run it under the epaulette and clip it to the first button area, so it's centered.

A lot of guys just hang it from their epaulette on the same side as the radio, but that makes it harder to access/speak into, I think.

Perhaps I should give your crazy LA way a second shot. It does keep the cord from hanging loose and it stays centered, which are the important parts.

12. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I used to run it across my back, under the epaulette and clip to the area between the first button (real button) and second button (start of zipper section). However, depending on the model radio, the cord sometimes is a tad on the short side and you feel it pulling back the whole time.

It also can be used easily in a fight to choke you with, if the suspect is behind you and knows a bit about wrestling. Just reach over your left shoulder with his left hand, unclip and bring back to him, hand off to his right hand and voila, right around your neck. Depending on how stretchy the cord is, it might not work, but why give the guy any advantage?

I wear my radio on my left side, face the radio inwards, run the cord up the front on the same side, tuck the cord under the badge to keep the cord tidy against the shirt, clip to epaulette. Never had a problem and I can talk into it just fine by tilting my head to the left.

13. Gangrel

Gangrel

I tend to see that having the radio hang in front like that leads to bad habits, not that it really requires them. Too many people look to that side while using it and away from the threat.

I know some people that flip their radio backwards, too. Makes it harder for me to access the knobs. I also use an earpiece and flipping the radio would put that wire up front, which would make it more likely to snag on something I think.

Do a lot of the Cally-four-ni-yay guys actually use the Southland method, though?

14. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Good point on looking away. I never take my eyes off the threat, I just tilt my head... or I rotate my body so that I actually face them when I rotate my whole head toward the mic. That's just me, because I am one squared away officer, I tell ya!

I flip the radio inwards because the knob is easier for me to access the volume knob because it is now the front button, not the rear button. Makes it easier for me to turn it up and down since I get in and out of the car a lot so I do a lot of volume control adjustments.

We have issued PPT chest mics with secret service looking earpieces but they are a pain to wear because you have to wire it under your shirt to get it all nice and neat or else you will have 3-4 dangling wires outside of your shirt, looking stupid. If you run it under the shirt and up out the collar where you can clip the mic and run up the earpiece, then it actually is very tidy with nothing to snag on any surface... but only our security guys in polos wear those on a regular basis. The uniformed officers are all too lazy to do it with their class B's.

P.S. Yes, we crazy Cali Foh Nine Aye operators really wear radios like you see on The Shield, SouthLAnd, and High Incident.

15. silverado_mick

silverado_mick

I wear my radio facing inboard, and run my mic cord through a belt keeper to control the slack, upi the left side of my shirt beside my badge (the keeper trick keeps it tight against the shirt too so it doesn't get caught on anything. I also have one of those nylon/plastic mic clip thingies attached to my epaulette so it lowers the mic to just above my badge.

To talk I grab the mic with my left hand and move it over to under my mouf. No turning/looking away necessary, and no chance of the mic cord getting caught or being used to choke my retarded *** out.

And I work on the east coast, so it's not a westside thing exclusively.

16. Gangrel

Gangrel

Ahh we have different radios (not that its a big surprise) but when in a "normal carry position", our volume knob is already up front. I use a listen only earpiece with the normal corded mic. The guys that have the PTT ones here sound like crap on the radio. I run it through my shirt and it looks good.

I need to make a pilgrimage to SoCal someday.

When in the car I leave my portable on with the lowest volume setting. When I get out, I turn it up. I learned this valuable lesson after getting in a foot pursuit straight out of the car and trying to turn on my radio, run and tackle someone all at once. It worked at the time but I hated the feeling, so the radio stays on at all times now.

17. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

The mic clip epaulette dangling thing is definitely east coast, as are suspenders. I have not seen one SoCal operator cop wear it because we're just cool like dat.

As for the radio thing, I have seen all kinds on all coasts so there's no eastside westside upside downside rivalry here. Peace in da streets, witness the streeenth of street knowledge, y'all!

18. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Yes, the portable never gets turned off, only to the lowest setting before the on/off click detent. On that setting, I can still manage to hear some of it so I know it's working and it doesn't cause feedback with the car radio.

Our PPT setup works pretty well the two times I bothered to loop and tuck and get all the wires run through my shirt. I like the secret service earpiece with the clear coily tubes so we can hear things without transmitting noise.

19. Gangrel

Gangrel

Yeah, it's nice that dispatch can inform you of whatever without worrying about the badguy hearing it (especially warrants, violent person alerts, etc).

The only downside... I keep my car radio somewhat low since I have the earpiece as well. Now that I have a recruit, he can't hear the car radio the way I keep it. I'm not harsh enough to say "DEAL WITH IT!!!!!" so... now I'm gonna be deaf in both ears for a few weeks!

20. SAR

SAR CLM

We are issued suicide cords, but I choose not to wear one at all. Yeah, I'm not up on all the new fangled way to get entangled with your equipment. When I came on, we were lucky to just have a radio in our cars. I don't know why they insist we carry this brick around.