GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share some pictures of a southern mountain rifle I just finished. Its a Kibler kit, so it was close to being done when I got it. I supplied the stock wood, which is curly ash. I got it from a friend who passed a few years ago and I didn't want to screw it up starting the rifle from a blank. It is 45 caliber, swamped 46" barrel. Very light and points well.
I used aqua fortis for the stain, sanded it back a bit,then a coat of asphaltum (asphalt dissolved in turpentine) to bring out the color. Thinned linseed oil, then 4 coats of Tru Oil.
Can't wait to shoot it. Thanks for looking!
20201022_122404.jpg
20201022_122416.jpg
20201021_171731.jpg
20201022_122031.jpg

·
Registered
795 Posts
Jim Kibler does make excellent kits.

Reactions: elkhart

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Fantastic rifle and the browned barrel/lock make it even better.

·
Come on man!!
14,732 Posts
That looks great!!!

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
The only word that comes to mind is: WOW!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot to mention, I burnished it with a plastic spoon after the thinned linseed oil coat. An antler tip would have been more traditional, but the spoon was handy and lessened the chance of marring the wood in case I slipped with the tool. It made a big difference in the finish, the wood has a very slight texture throughout the curl. The smooth, flat, sandpapered look just wouldn't look right.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
wow, really cool, and nice work! Sorry about your friend, it's kind of like a great tribute as well.

How do you get that texture look on the wood?

·
A swamp dude
11,019 Posts
Really nice work.

I know you didn’t have artistic beauty in mind when you were creating your rifle with that wonderful curly ash provided by an old friend, but it is art to those of us who love beautiful guns.

Our forefathers would have been proud to own one like that.

Reactions: byf43 and elkhart

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I picked up my very first ML a few months ago, Pedersoli 50cal. I like it so much, I already have a second, .54. I don't have the skill to build, just bought them finished.
20200905_100536.jpg

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow, really cool, and nice work! Sorry about your friend, it's kind of like a great tribute as well.

How do you get that texture look on the wood?
Thank you.
The curl/stripes are natural to the wood. Beautiful, but very difficult to carve, especially in ash. Thats why I went with the almost- finished kit.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Very nice Elkhart.
Did you use laurel mt to brown the metal?
I have done two Track of the Wolf "kits" with Laurel Mt. The results are very satisfying.
If you get a chance to get it out and shoot it, let us know how it prints.
I shoot my Northwest Trade Gun flintlock from T.O.W. on occasion. Love to bust water filled jugs with it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts