Home > The Main Room > The Okie Corral > Southern Biscuits

Southern Biscuits

1. I am British and had an Irish/Polish mother.

How is that for a combination? Lol!

Sadly, my sainted Mother was neither a good Irish or Polish cook. God bless her, but she was terrible.

Fortunately, I had a really nice Southern Granny from my father’s side of the family.

She made the best biscuits. The kind that were thick and fluffy and simply melted into my mouth.

If any of you are Southerners, you know exactly what I mean.

Looking for a good recipe.

Every time I try, my biscuits turn out like bricks.

Help me!

2. download.jpeg-1.jpg Southern Biscuit brand Complete Biscuit Mix, Formulated L.
    Add buttermilk and your done.
    You be the judge!

3. I had one of those grannies. Now I want biscuits.

4. Biscuits are simple. This is how Mommy taught me to make them:

2 cups flour
    1 cup buttermilk
    1/2 cup shortening
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a big bowl.
    Add shortening and mix.
    Stir in buttermilk.
    Roll dough into circle on floured countertop.
    Fold in half and repeat several times.
    Cut biscuits out with biscuit cutter.
    Coat baking sheet with no stick spray (i.e. Pam).
    Place biscuits on sheet.
    Preheat oven to 450°.
    Bake 8 - 10 minutes until golden brown on top.

Some people add a cup of shredded cheddar cheese into the dough for cheesy biscuits, but I like them plain with just butter and redeye gravy.

5. Now I just need some homemade sausage gravy and an over easy egg to go over the biscuits :eat:

6. Now you've done it, everybody gonna' be makin' biscuits.

7. I used to watch granny make scratch biscuits. She came from a farming generation and made biscuits every morning, because a sack of flour by far outlasted any baked loaf of bread. She didn't even use a bowl to mix the dough. She would put a batch size pile of flour on a piece of wax paper on the table and then make a depression in the center into which she would gradually add and mix/knead in the other ingredients by hand. What was about as amazing as the biscuits themselves is that when she got done hand rolling the biscuits and putting them on the baking pan, there wasn't any dough left on the wax paper or on her hands. She'd roll up and toss the wax paper and wipe off what little flour was left on her hands on a towel. PFM! I tried making biscuits that way and I got dough all over me and the surroundings.

8. Read an article once that said you gotta use that southern flour....... northern flour ain't the same.....

9. Here's another little thing. My grandmother used real buttermilk - what's leftover after you churn butter. I still have her recipe, but the biscuits have never been quite as good when made with store bought buttermilk.

And the fact she chose to cook on a wood stove fueled with applewood from the orchard probably had something to do with it too. :) The new electric range was for canning in the summer.

"homemade sausage gravy" Buy a couple of pigs and get started fattening them up. :) Life in the country is hard work if you do it right. You can eat more too if you work hard.

10. My mother used to bake homemade biscuits. I suppose they were OK, but the biscuits I really liked and still do are Pillsbury "Wop-em" can biscuits. I never really cared for "homemade" biscuits.

I know. I'm weird.

11. The recipe on the Bisquick box is pretty good, too.

12. GDI...now i want Biscuits and gravy...

13. If you add an egg, you'll get biscuits that are less dry and crumbly. My grandmother was legendary for biscuit and gravy making and that's what she did.

14. Put a little cream of tartar in the flour. 1/2 a teaspoon or so. I make those biscuits that so many speak of from their grandmothers.

15. Add a teaspoon of baking powder and they'll raise better and be fluffier!

16. This is about as far as I go for baking stuff....

[​IMG]

17. The key to making good homemade biscuits is not to over-mix the dough! Slowly add your liquid ingredients to your dry ingredients starting in the center of a large mixing bowl using a clawing then folding action, and when you see the slightest hint that the ingredients are combined - STOP! And with as little concern for aesthetics as possible, add sufficiently sized portions of dough to your greased pan and bake until golden brown, then remove from the oven, slice open, add a generous amount of butterrrrrruh, and enjoy while hot!

18. Also good with honey or apple butter.

19. Now they’ll be a run on flour and shortening at the grocery stores

20. Gravy and biscuits.......I make the best gravy!

21. You're killin me Smalls!

22. upload_2020-4-7_9-13-51.png

For a perfect southern biscuit, it starts with this flour. No other will work

23. I gots store bought sausage gravy but ate all my store bought biscuits and haven't been out since lockdown. I'm outta eggs too. And donuts. And M&Ms.

Food chat here isn't helping. :drowning:

24. You must be a yankee :)

25. For the best biscuits, substitute stone ground whole wheat flour instead of white flour. Double the buttermilk.
    Use 25 percent more baking powder, and leave out the baking soda.

26. Yup...can't deny that, and actually I much prefer crescent rolls over biscuits. The are much more civilized than the rough table fare of the heathen rebels.
    :couch:

27. No self respecting South Carolina Low Country woman would allow that stuff in her kitchen.

28. You're about 2-3 weeks late in that prediction. This morning was the first time I've seen flour on the shelves of my preferred local store and it was probably 20 5# bags. Haven't noticed shortening being out of stock but that's not a staple I generally keep. Biscuit-making here requires butter, not shortening.

My preferred biscuit recipe is on the Food Network website: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/better-buttermilk-biscuits-recipe-1908148

[​IMG]

29. Shortening makes the biscuits soft and flakey instead of crumbly.

30. I really didnt need to see this thread today....

31. There are a few keys to good biscuits.

Use AP flour. Bread flour has too much protein and is chewy. A great thing but not for biscuits.

Mix the dough as little as possible. Mixing makes gluten, good for chewy but not biscuits.

Use soda water, the bubbles will help make the biscuit more "airy"

There is debate on use of shortening vs. butter. In any case make sure it's frozen and cubed. Consensus around here is shortening for authentic biscuit, butter for flavor.

32. Biscuits.jpg

33. Using the linked recipe, mine turn out pretty much like the picture I posted: a good rise with identifiable layers. Yes, it has some crumb but that works best in a biscuit & gravy combo and OK in a butter/jelly/apple butter combo. Pure flaky biscuits are OK with gravy and better with butter/jelly/apple butter, IMO.

34. That's what the buttermilk is for.

Shortening. Don't argue with me.
    LOL

35. Biscuits may be the perfect food. Especially if ya got some country ham to put in them. Or just plain with some coffee.

36. Total agreement here on using frozen fat. I use only butter and I grate it on the box grater for mixing into the dry ingredients, then add the buttermilk. This method really helps the melting fat to create steam to help the rise in the oven.

37. We haven't had flour in my Publix for more than two weeks.

38. "Self rising" flour skews the recipe unless it's called for.

I prefer King Arthur for all things bread.

39. It is so easy for me.
    My wifes second passion is cooking, she is southern, and all I have to do is mildly hint the word biscuit, and I will soon hear her rattling around in the kitchen.

On that subject, I really think that another week or two of isolation, and I will not be able to fit out the door.
    Just from Saturday and Sunday......

Apricot Breakfast Rolls
    IMG_1139.JPG

Some kind of Italian bread
    IMG_1140.JPG

Just plain ol bread.
    IMG_1141.JPG

Apple Pecan Bread
    IMG_1142.JPG

And yes, she also fixed biscuits and gravy on Friday, just no pictures.

She really needs to get back out to the barn so she can ride her horse instead of baking!

40. My wife is from Virginia and she usually makes biscuits with Bisquick which is basically flour and corn starch. Man do I love me some sausage gravy and biscuits.

41. Don't get me wrong, King Arthur is a great flour for bread, but a fine biscuit is not bread. King Arthur comes from what is known as a hard wheat; perfect for the two sides of stuff you put your peanut butter on.

White Lily on the other hand comes from a soft winter wheat. Found by a southerner who was tired of the English influence on "biscuits" brought to the north from England. Knowing that a true southern soul wanted something better than the biscuits created from King Arthur, J Allen Smith set out to satisfy their tastes. For over 100 years, people of the south, with finer tastes than those of the north, have turned to White Lily flour to make without question the best biscuits in the world.

Don't fret; as I said, King Arthur, an English name to boot, is fantastic for a PB&J! ;)

42. Agree on White Lilly plain flour.

This recipe and methodology is going to raise eyebrows. It raised mine when I read it, but it’s good. Try it. If you don’t like it, you’ve only lost a dollar and a few minutes time. So as to avoid plagiarism, I got this from the internet- Southern Living I think.

Ingredients:

2.5 cups White Lilly plain flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 stick unsalted BUTTER
    Approximately 1 cup milk (2% will work; buttermilk is better)

Preheat oven to 400F

Using a sifter, sift flour, baking powder, and salt into large mixing bowl.

Using a coarse cheese grater, grate the butter into the flour mixture, and combine in with fingers. Grate a bit, then toss, grate a bit and toss, until the stick is done. Some like to freeze the butter first so it is a little less sticky and easier to toss, but I don’t find it necessary if you do a little at the time and toss rather than trying to grate the whole stick at once then toss.

Make a well and add approximately one cup buttermilk ( or milk) and stir until all flour mixture is incorporated. This part is a little art; if you’ve made biscuits before, you know what I mean. Using buttermilk, it will probably take a whole cup or a tablespoon more; it might not with 2%.

Turn the dough mixture onto a floured surface. With a floured rolling pin, roll out evenly to about 1/4 inch thick. Fold it up and roll out again. REPEAT 3 TIMES!!! That’s right- you will fold four times and roll out 5 times including the initial roll out! I think the recipe actually says fold 5 times but four works.

On the last roll out, roll to a thickness of 1/3 -1/2 inch, and cut biscuits with a cutter. Place on lightly greased pan. I prefer a light cooking spray on a pizza stone. Take the scraps and roll together to get a couple more biscuits. I use a 2 inch cutter and get about 12-16 , but some like a larger cutter. If desired, top with a little melted butter before baking. I don’t do this, but some do.

Bake until tops reach desired brown.
    These will come out about 1 1/2 to 2 inches tall and flaky.

43. Good info, thanks :D

44. Googled White Lily flour - 20 bucks for 5 pounds!

From Amazon