Southern Biscuits

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by OV1kenobi, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Ross-in-Pa

Ross-in-Pa Western Pa

2. jmohme

jmohme

It is so easy for me.
    My wifes second passion is cooking, she is southern, and all I have to do is mildly hint the word biscuit, and I will soon hear her rattling around in the kitchen.

On that subject, I really think that another week or two of isolation, and I will not be able to fit out the door.
    Just from Saturday and Sunday......

Apricot Breakfast Rolls
    IMG_1139.JPG

Some kind of Italian bread
    IMG_1140.JPG

Just plain ol bread.
    IMG_1141.JPG

Apple Pecan Bread
    IMG_1142.JPG

And yes, she also fixed biscuits and gravy on Friday, just no pictures.

She really needs to get back out to the barn so she can ride her horse instead of baking!

OGW, FullClip, 6Actual and 4 others like this.

3. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

4. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

6Actual and Ross-in-Pa like this.
  5. fx77

fx77 CLM

pizza_pablo and DAKA like this.
  6. Scamp57

Scamp57

My wife is from Virginia and she usually makes biscuits with Bisquick which is basically flour and corn starch. Man do I love me some sausage gravy and biscuits.

7. Lonestar 48

Lonestar 48 Silver Member

Don't get me wrong, King Arthur is a great flour for bread, but a fine biscuit is not bread. King Arthur comes from what is known as a hard wheat; perfect for the two sides of stuff you put your peanut butter on.

White Lily on the other hand comes from a soft winter wheat. Found by a southerner who was tired of the English influence on "biscuits" brought to the north from England. Knowing that a true southern soul wanted something better than the biscuits created from King Arthur, J Allen Smith set out to satisfy their tastes. For over 100 years, people of the south, with finer tastes than those of the north, have turned to White Lily flour to make without question the best biscuits in the world.

Don't fret; as I said, King Arthur, an English name to boot, is fantastic for a PB&J! ;)

Deanster, OGW, BamaBud and 2 others like this.
  8. dbuck47

dbuck47

Agree on White Lilly plain flour.

This recipe and methodology is going to raise eyebrows. It raised mine when I read it, but it’s good. Try it. If you don’t like it, you’ve only lost a dollar and a few minutes time. So as to avoid plagiarism, I got this from the internet- Southern Living I think.

Ingredients:

2.5 cups White Lilly plain flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 stick unsalted BUTTER
    Approximately 1 cup milk (2% will work; buttermilk is better)

Preheat oven to 400F

Using a sifter, sift flour, baking powder, and salt into large mixing bowl.

Using a coarse cheese grater, grate the butter into the flour mixture, and combine in with fingers. Grate a bit, then toss, grate a bit and toss, until the stick is done. Some like to freeze the butter first so it is a little less sticky and easier to toss, but I don’t find it necessary if you do a little at the time and toss rather than trying to grate the whole stick at once then toss.

Make a well and add approximately one cup buttermilk ( or milk) and stir until all flour mixture is incorporated. This part is a little art; if you’ve made biscuits before, you know what I mean. Using buttermilk, it will probably take a whole cup or a tablespoon more; it might not with 2%.

Turn the dough mixture onto a floured surface. With a floured rolling pin, roll out evenly to about 1/4 inch thick. Fold it up and roll out again. REPEAT 3 TIMES!!! That’s right- you will fold four times and roll out 5 times including the initial roll out! I think the recipe actually says fold 5 times but four works.

On the last roll out, roll to a thickness of 1/3 -1/2 inch, and cut biscuits with a cutter. Place on lightly greased pan. I prefer a light cooking spray on a pizza stone. Take the scraps and roll together to get a couple more biscuits. I use a 2 inch cutter and get about 12-16 , but some like a larger cutter. If desired, top with a little melted butter before baking. I don’t do this, but some do.

Bake until tops reach desired brown.
    These will come out about 1 1/2 to 2 inches tall and flaky.

9. syntaxerrorsix

Good info, thanks :D

pizza_pablo likes this.
  10. flyover

flyover

Googled White Lily flour - 20 bucks for 5 pounds!

From Amazon

11. syntaxerrorsix

12. jmohme

jmohme

The panic grocery buying just happened to start with a vengeance on the day that I usually get sent to the store for restocking.
    Fortunately, other than dried beans, the majority of the things on my list were not on the panic buyers frenzied shopping lists.
    I did however see that the flour shelves were barren. I told the wife and she went to the pantry and took inventory and saw that she only had about 30 lbs of various types of flour. :) and became concerned.:dunno:
    She got an email notification today that there is a deliver from a mill in Illinois for tomorrow that weighs in at 50 lbs. Care to guess what it might be.

She does love to bake, but 50 lbs! :confused:

OGW, 6Actual, pizza_pablo and 3 others like this.
  13. n2g

n2g

Lifelong small town Georgian here, a mom and grandmom. (Didn't read all the pages; this may be a repeat.)

Like most frequent biscuit makers here, I don't measure, but the ingredients I use are:

White Lily self-rising flour, sifted
    regular Crisco shortening
    buttermilk

Mix ingredients lightly with fingers until a soft dough forms. Don't overwork dough or mix in too much extra flour. Pinch off some dough and lightly form a ball in palms of hands. Place on baking sheet and slightly flatten. Have biscuits barely touching. Bake at 450 to 475 degrees until lightly browned, about 8-10 minutes or so. Very light and fluffy!

For exact ingredient quantities, just go with the recipe on the back of the White Lily flour package. (If using plain flour, will have to add ingredients to make it rise. Self-rising is just as good and already has those added, so it's simpler and is what my mother always used.)

You get better with these with practice, especially in the light-and-fluffy factor. Also in not getting dough stuck everywhere!

You can roll them out with a rolling pin and cut them into circles, but everyone I know just forms them into a ball in their hands.

Older southern cooks used lard instead of Crisco, so if you want to go very old-school, you can use lard. (Don't tell your doctor.)

I've known lots of Georgia biscuit makers, and I've never known any of them to use any ingredients other than flour (if plain add leavenings), shortening or lard, and buttermilk for their "regular" everyday biscuits.

Not saying there aren't other good biscuit recipes (angel biscuits, for example) that are also very good, but the above are the traditional southern biscuits where I live.

And they are good!

EDIT a couple of days later:

All these Southern breakfast food threads got to me; had to make some biscuits today.

biscuits.JPG

Not the prettiest, but I'm out of practice. They were good, though.

I cheat just a little when I make dressing (a different thing from stuffing, and a whole 'nother thread) by baking the frozen buttermilk biscuits. No whop-whop biscuits! It's been ages since I made homemade biscuits, but I used to make them about every week when the kids were young.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  14. syntaxerrorsix

I keep a minimum of 25 pounds in the hurricane supply pantry. Usually twice that but sometimes I rotate the stock and forget. It's too cheap not to have on hand. Same with beans and rice.

pizza_pablo likes this.
  15. Kodiak Ken

Kodiak Ken Millennium Member

I just made Hannies' buscuit recipe along with some sausage gravy. Very good, and easy, biscuits. Thank you for the recipe.

20200407_082241.jpg The wife really liked them!
    20200407_082545.jpg
    (If you look out our window you can see that we still have a foot of snow in our yard.)

Thanks again Hannie.

geodan, Hannie Caulder, byf43 and 6 others like this.
  16. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

I use to use Hannies recipe, then Betty Crocker baking book recipe. But in my old age I just use Bisquick and add bacon bits and shredded cheder cheese .
    I never eat Biscuits and gravy out anymore as they all use that fake canned gravy that taste funny.

pizza_pablo and flyover like this.
  17. syntaxerrorsix

Pretty sure lard is better for you than hydrogenated cotton seed oil ;)

...but I stock both.

OGW, pizza_pablo and n2g like this.
  18. flyover

flyover

One of my neighbors did a bit of catering, mainly family events, weddings, graduation parties and an occasional business meeting. She also made rolls and cinnamon rolls for her church. Dad and I looked out for her and when she needed a bit of help, she would call us. We got paid in rolls, cinnamon rolls and pull-a-part bread. Yum!!

She went through about 25 to 30 pounds of flour a week. She preferred Hudson Creamery Flour.

FullClip likes this.
  19. flyover

flyover

Since it's just me, I buy the frozen biscuits. If I bake 4 at a time that's 2 meals for me.

napp32 and FullClip like this.
  20. Desert Kraut

Desert Kraut

Can I quarantine with you.

OGW, byf43, 6Actual and 1 other person like this.